CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: Petcock Q's

  1. #1
    Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    33

    Default Petcock Q's

    I'm relocating the coil on my 2005 sporty (stock tank). I know I have to use a right angle petcock, but I'm wondering about venting/vacuum. The tank is the stock (XL883C) DLX 4.5gal one, and it is vacuum fed. Do I need a vacuum petcock, or will any right angle one work?

    If I DO need one with a vacuum line, does anybody know where I can find one?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    You can use a standard petcock. The vacuum shutoff feature is for convenience. You can plug the vacuum line, or better, eliminate the vacuum line to the petcock and the tee, and put one hose from carb to VOES.

    Jim

  3. #3
    Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    You can use a standard petcock. The vacuum shutoff feature is for convenience. You can plug the vacuum line, or better, eliminate the vacuum line to the petcock and the tee, and put one hose from carb to VOES.

    Jim
    So I can install the new petcock when it comes in (found a fitting right angle one from j&p), and plug the vacuum line that attached to the factory petcock? Thanks for your help!

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theonlychrisj View Post
    So I can install the new petcock when it comes in (found a fitting right angle one from j&p), and plug the vacuum line that attached to the factory petcock? Thanks for your help!
    That's correct. Ditch that bitch.

    Vacuum petcock systems are like Communism, they usually start out as an alright idea, but after a while they fail and everyone hates them. I've done what you are doing in this thread on every one of my bikes.

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theonlychrisj View Post
    So I can install the new petcock when it comes in (found a fitting right angle one from j&p), and plug the vacuum line that attached to the factory petcock? Thanks for your help!
    That's correct. Ditch that bitch.

    Vacuum petcock systems are like Communism, they usually start out as an alright idea, but after a while they fail and everyone hates them. I've done what you are doing in this thread on every one of my bikes.

  6. #6
    Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    You can use a standard petcock. The vacuum shutoff feature is for convenience. You can plug the vacuum line, or better, eliminate the vacuum line to the petcock and the tee, and put one hose from carb to VOES.

    Jim
    Thanks for the info. My voes only has wire connections, no nipple for a hose. Did I misunderstand what you meant?

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    9,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet54 View Post
    That's correct. Ditch that bitch.

    Vacuum petcock systems are like Communism, they usually start out as an alright idea, but after a while they fail and everyone hates them. I've done what you are doing in this thread on every one of my bikes.
    Truth. I replace them immediately on personal bikes with a Pingel. Something I'll use thousands of times should be reliable, though I had one Pingel seep after 30 years (promptly rebuilt and back in service).

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theonlychrisj View Post
    Thanks for the info. My voes only has wire connections, no nipple for a hose. Did I misunderstand what you meant?
    You may have a MAP switch rather than a VOES, and the MAP is mounted directly to the manifold.

    Jim

  9. #9
    Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    You may have a MAP switch rather than a VOES, and the MAP is mounted directly to the manifold.

    Jim
    Thatís exactly what I have. Do I need to do anything to it, or just ditch/plug the vacuum line? Thanks for the help - You guys rule.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theonlychrisj View Post
    That’s exactly what I have. Do I need to do anything to it, or just ditch/plug the vacuum line? Thanks for the help - You guys rule.
    Plug the vacuum fitting at the carb would be best.

    Jim

Share This



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in