CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: Petcock Q's

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Petcock Q's

I'm relocating the coil on my 2005 sporty (stock tank). I know I have to use a right angle petcock, but I'm wondering about venting/vacuum. The tank is the stock (XL883C) DLX 4.5gal one, and it is vacuum fed. Do I need a vacuum petcock, or will any right angle one work?

If I DO need one with a vacuum line, does anybody know where I can find one?

You can use a standard petcock. The vacuum shutoff feature is for convenience. You can plug the vacuum line, or better, eliminate the vacuum line to the petcock and the tee, and put one hose from carb to VOES.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    You can use a standard petcock. The vacuum shutoff feature is for convenience. You can plug the vacuum line, or better, eliminate the vacuum line to the petcock and the tee, and put one hose from carb to VOES.

Jim
    So I can install the new petcock when it comes in (found a fitting right angle one from j&p), and plug the vacuum line that attached to the factory petcock? Thanks for your help!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Theonlychrisj View Post
    So I can install the new petcock when it comes in (found a fitting right angle one from j&p), and plug the vacuum line that attached to the factory petcock? Thanks for your help!
    That's correct. Ditch that bitch.

Vacuum petcock systems are like Communism, they usually start out as an alright idea, but after a while they fail and everyone hates them. I've done what you are doing in this thread on every one of my bikes.

Get Adobe Flash player

Vacuum petcock systems are like Communism, they usually start out as an alright idea, but after a while they fail and everyone hates them. I've done what you are doing in this thread on every one of my bikes.

Get Adobe Flash player

Jim
    Thanks for the info. My voes only has wire connections, no nipple for a hose. Did I misunderstand what you meant?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet54 View Post

Truth. I replace them immediately on personal bikes with a Pingel. Something I'll use thousands of times should be reliable, though I had one Pingel seep after 30 years (promptly rebuilt and back in service).

Thanks for the info. My voes only has wire connections, no nipple for a hose. Did I misunderstand what you meant?
    You may have a MAP switch rather than a VOES, and the MAP is mounted directly to the manifold.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

You may have a MAP switch rather than a VOES, and the MAP is mounted directly to the manifold.

Jim
    Thatís exactly what I have. Do I need to do anything to it, or just ditch/plug the vacuum line? Thanks for the help - You guys rule.

That’s exactly what I have. Do I need to do anything to it, or just ditch/plug the vacuum line? Thanks for the help - You guys rule.
    Plug the vacuum fitting at the carb would be best.

Jim

Share This