Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JLeather
    • Dec 2009

Panhead Frame Mods

Working on a pan frame that's already been chopped. Two quick questions. This bike is no longer running a mechanical rear brake. Is there any issue with removing the crossover tube so I can run a later exhaust that tucks in better? Paughco sells a set of pipes they say can be run on an earlier frame if the crossover tube is removed, I just wasn't sure about any other implications?

Second question, this frame has already had the outboard tab removed that bolted to the kicker end of the trans. Is that something I should be worried about?
  • 47str8leg
    • Sep 2014

Brake cross over tube is not a problem though , personally, I would remove it as cleanly as possible and hold onto it. Do not cut into the casting on the down tube though.

The “fifth mount” for the transmission does need to be on there . It gives support underneath the kicker.

Comment

• LiveLaughDestroy
      • May 2015

I would deffinetly put that kicker tab back on. It supports the end of the transmission while you're kicking and you could crack your transmission case.

As long as you dont do a hack job removing the brake cross over tube you can cut it off but you could also buy a squish pipe from paughco and leave it on. Id rather not cut up an original frame. Especially if you want to run a mechanical brake in the future.

The squish pipe tucks up real nice. You can cut an old chain link in half, weld one end to the squish pipe and the other to the head pipe. Attach a spring to them and that will pull the squish pipe together super tight and you wont get any exhaust leaks from there.
      Last edited by LiveLaughDestroy; 08-24-2021, 10:05 PM.

Comment

• JLeather
        • Dec 2009

Frame is already stretched 10" and raked to 50°. I don't think I'm in any danger of removing anything someone would wanna put back later. I'll trim the crossover tube even on both sides and weld the hole shut.

Guess I'll have to make up a new "fifth tab" for the trans though. Have to remove some of the molding where it was and see if anything is left of it.

Comment

• JLeather
          • Dec 2009

In some old pics it's running Paughco Gooseneck drag pipes and I really wanna get a set to put it back close to what it was.

Click image for larger version

Name:	153129488_3945527022134907_700043562743950536_o.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	305.5 KB
ID:	1319611

Comment

• LiveLaughDestroy
            • May 2015

You can buy those tabs pre formed and all you have to do is weld them up. I think I got the one for my pan frame from v twin.

I put the brake cross over tube back on my frame and it was a major pain in the ass. Mine was hacked up bad.

Comment

• LiveLaughDestroy
              • May 2015

Oh yeah that thing is perfect i would deffinetly do that.

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JLeather
                In some old pics it's running Paughco Gooseneck drag pipes and I really wanna get a set to put it back close to what it was.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104923[/ATTACH]
                Now that is a beautiful bike............ Much nicer than mine was back in 1975.............
                Attached Files

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;