Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDeeZ
    • Oct 2019

Hardtail Sportys with springers on stock rake pics

Does anyone have pics of Sportys with various length over springer front ends on stock rake hardtail frames?

I'm thinking about getting a Springer from Led Sled and I'm trying to figure out how much over I want to go.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by CDeeZ
    Does anyone have pics of Sportys with various length over springer front ends on stock rake hardtail frames?

I'm thinking about getting a Springer from Led Sled and I'm trying to figure out how much over I want to go.
    Have you looked around???? If so where have you looked?????

Are you looking for safety or the cool look??????? Because they are not the same with a springer.........

Comment

• CDeeZ
      • Oct 2019

I've looked around pictures on the internet as I don't seem to have to option to look locally. There are 3 of us in my town of 12,000 with choppers. Well 2 now that my buddy unfortunately had his Sporty chop stolen recently...... My 03 Sporty, buddies 04 Sporty and another buddies 61 Pan... All running stock Sporty tele fronts.

I have rebuilt my front end several times and it always ends up leaking. I have gone over the sliders and internals with a fine tooth comb and can't see a reason why they keep leaking, but there must be one becuase they do.

I want to go to the springer because I like the way it looks firstly, but also not having leaks will be a plus.

I have read about the horror stories of cheap ass springers on the cult and that is definitely something I'm going to stay away from.

I got my hardtail kit from Led Sled and they have excellent customer service. That speaks volumes in my opinion. They always answer the phone when I call with dumbass questions and are patient enough to help me rather than try to rush you off the phone like a lot of people would.

The moto iron springer looks decent enough but I want to stay with a narrow glide front wheel like I currently have, and the space doesn't look great in my opinion when running a narrow glide wheel on a mid glide springer like the moto iron is.

So considering all the factors, the Led Sled springer is the one I will likely go with.... I'm just hoping to see some pics of what some various length over springers look like. I told Joe at Led Sled that I was contemplating 6 over for their springer and he though it would be a bit much.
      Last edited by CDeeZ; 04-23-2020, 1:25 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

I told Joe at Led Sled that I was contemplating 6 over for their springer and he though it would be a bit much.

He is a smart man...... A springer is a total different beast..... There is a lot of movement and with the bike jacked up with a 6 over front end it would be dangerous..... A tube front end can be a handful on some bikes......

But it's your bike....

Comment

• CDeeZ
          • Oct 2019

I'm not a newb to springers..... Got one on my 37 UL. Granted that bike is mostly stock though. I have never ridden a springer that is over so this is why I'm asking. If 6 over is dangerous why are so many people seemingly running them? I see a handful of people that are quite happy with the moto iron one that is 6 over....

I am okay with sacrificing a little bit of functionality since it IS a chopper. I wouldn't want to do anything completely stupid though.

Let me as you this. What would you do?

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

I'm not a newb to springers..... Got one on my 37 UL. Granted that bike is mostly stock though. I have never ridden a springer that is over so this is why I'm asking. If 6 over is dangerous why are so many people seemingly running them?
            Can you post pics I can't find any 6 over springers with stock rack....... Tubes yes Springers no.....

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Let me as you this. What would you do?
              I guess you left off the k??? Ask me??? I would say 4 over is max 2 would be much better..... But it would also depend on the springer.... What kind of rockers etc.....

Comment

• CDeeZ
                • Oct 2019

Yeah ask lol. There are several pics on TCBros website for the motoiron 6 over springer. Looks like a nice piece and I've had good luck with TCBros. I prefer the narrow look of the Led Sled springer though. Both standup guys either way.

Hmmmm. Guess I got to chew on this one for a while.

Comment

• bpeak
                  • Nov 2012

Ok so... I'm on my phone right now and am not good with the formatting this way... to ad links or threads. But have you seen the CC thread all about stock rake with extended front ends? Thing is chock full of bikes with all different combos. Big twin and sporty. Evo and ironhead. I think that thread causes Tattoo heartburn haha. Mine is in there. 71 ironhead. Hardtailed. Stock neck. 12 over narrow springer. Rode just fine and was not dangerous or hard to handle at any speed. So... theres that.

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by bpeak
                    Ok so... I'm on my phone right now and am not good with the formatting this way... to ad links or threads. But have you seen the CC thread all about stock rake with extended front ends? Thing is chock full of bikes with all different combos. Big twin and sporty. Evo and ironhead. I think that thread causes Tattoo heartburn haha. Mine is in there. 71 ironhead. Hardtailed. Stock neck. 12 over narrow springer. Rode just fine and was not dangerous or hard to handle at any speed. So... theres that.
                    LOL No heartburn at all........ LOL Hell it's not my bike.....

Please post a pic?????? 12 over with a stock rake????? I've gotta see this.......... Hope you have a 21 on the front????

Comment

• garystaven88
                      • Mar 2014

All I can say is think hard on it. The "praying mantis" look is played out and gives off the "poor mans chopper" look. Extended front ends deserve more rake!

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

I have rebuilt my front end several times and it always ends up leaking. I have gone over the sliders and internals with a fine tooth comb and can't see a reason why they keep leaking, but there must be one because they do.
                        (Where ARE the leaks?) Leaks don't just happen so even if you're going to junk the front end I'd find out where I fucked up for future reference. Post PRECISELY where they leak and give complete details of your rebuild. Many posters are so vague it's impossible to figure out what they did.

That way when you do another set in future you won't have problems.

Comment

• CDeeZ
                          • Oct 2019

Anything to cause tattooo grief lolololololol jk.

Praying mantis look being????????????????????

Where are the leaks? IDFK? Like I said I have inspected every component of the telescoping slider assembly and they all appear to be functional. Farmall, where did that pic come from? That is epic.

Here is the victim... a "100th anniversary edition"

Comment

• garystaven88
                            • Mar 2014

Praying mantis look being????????????????????

Comment

• bpeak
                              • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Tattooo
                              LOL No heartburn at all........ LOL Hell it's not my bike.....

Please post a pic?????? 12 over with a stock rake????? I've gotta see this.......... Hope you have a 21 on the front????
                              Yep - was a 21. It was the tribble-seat bike haha.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190305_204320.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	1318142

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181126_132630.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	1318143

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum