CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Another title thread

I just finished up my bike that’s a 72 with a 79 frame. She’s HD titled and insured and ready to be registered, but now I’m hearing I have to have a matching VIN on case and frame..when all along I was thinking I just needed VIN on the frame that matches my title’s VIN, which I have.

So, before I shoot myself in the foot when entering the DMV, I thought I’d consult those with experience here.

Should I be worried about being hassled by the existing VIN on my case since it doesn’t match my title and frame’s VIN? Should I sand it off to avoid them questioning it or am I going to be digging a deep hole?

Im in Oregon if that makes any difference
    Last edited by firstripholdmybeer; 04-22-2020 at 11:00 PM.

I can't help with Oregon law but don't touch the VIN on the case no matter what. Officially the VIN on the steering neck is the legal number for that year per the feds. Others will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by firstripholdmybeer View Post
    I just finished up my bike thatís a 72 with a 79 frame. Sheís HD titled and insured and ready to be registered, but now Iím hearing I have to have a matching VIN on case and frame..when all along I was thinking I just needed VIN on the frame that matches my titleís VIN, which I have.

So, before I shoot myself in the foot when entering the DMV, I thought Iíd consult those with experience here.

Should I be worried about being hassled by the existing VIN on my case since it doesnít match my title and frameís VIN? Should I sand it off to avoid them questioning it or am I going to be digging a deep hole?

Im in Oregon if that makes any difference
    You are going to get a lot of shit house lawyer responses on this one: So I'll the first SH lawyer to respond

1. Get with your states DMV and get the info from the source. Yes, DMV sucks, but they are the folks that you will have to go to in the end run anyways

2. If you dont like the above option, go to your local bike shop or dealer. Those guys are sure to know the real deal

Whatever you do, do not alter or obliterate any numbers.

Good luck

Get Adobe Flash player

Should I be worried about being hassled by the existing VIN on my case since it doesn’t match my title and frame’s VIN? Should I sand it off to avoid them questioning it or am I going to be digging a deep hole?
    Hell no don't sand the numbers off...........

This is another thread that is a good lesson to why you need to get the title in YOUR NAME before you spend a dime...... If it's not going to be a builders title that is...... If it's a HD or any other manufacturer put it in your name FIRST....

That's my advice.....

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm gonna suggest the exact opposite I'd avoid the MVD like the plague until I found out the exact rules. I tried to work with the MVD for 5 months on my 40 then started talking to people that delt with this stuff all the time, hotrod shops bike shops, used car lots etc. When I showed up with the exact paper work that they suggested, I had a title in about 30 minutes. The most helpful was a shop that built old Ford pickups if you can imagine that..
    Dusty

Get Adobe Flash player

no real help, but here in England both the frame Number (The VIN) & the motor number are on the Log Book (Title) & as motors blow up the same as in cars, you can change the motor number by simply filling out a change section & sending it off,
    they run the numbers & if stolen they contact you but if ok you get the updated Log book (Title) back,
    however there is NO WAY IN HELL that they will EVER allow the VIN number to be changed & it is illegal to remove it or alter it as it should be, there in your State the powers that be must have a system like it in case you blow a motor,
    I know in New Jersey the motor number wasn't ever on any of my Titles for cars or bikes,
    I think it would be best to get it in your name & later tell them you have changed the motor & get the new motor number put on the title if Oregon titles need a motor number as well as a VIN number.........some States want them, some States don't

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for all the feedback. Sanding any numbers ain’t happening, I figured that would be the response but just had to ask.

As for transferring the title to my name FIRST, before registering, I’m guessing I can do that without having the bike physically there? I like tzienlee’s idea, transfer title then if it comes down to it, say the og motor blew and had to replace. Just hope they wouldn’t deem that as a special construction.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by DustyDave View Post
    ...When I showed up with the exact paper work that they suggested, I had a title in about 30 minutes. The most helpful was a shop that built old Ford pickups if you can imagine that..
    Dusty
    Do you remember what you ended up doing? I plan to transfer the title first then go back to register with the bike maybe a week or so later.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Hell no don't sand the numbers off...........

This is another thread that is a good lesson to why you need to get the title in YOUR NAME before you spend a dime...... If it's not going to be a builders title that is...... If it's a HD or any other manufacturer put it in your name FIRST....

That's my advice.....
    So you’re thinking it will be more hassle free if I first transfer title then maybe return in a week or so with my bike to register it?

Get Adobe Flash player

So you’re thinking it will be more hassle free if I first transfer title then maybe return in a week or so with my bike to register it?
    Yes and yes...... Plus it's one less thing to worry about before you start spending money on something that's not even yours yet...... Because it isn't really yours until it's in your name.......

Get Adobe Flash player

No where in the country, that I know of, is it illegal to put a different engine in a motor vehicle. People do it all the time. Some states want both the engine and frame numbers on a title. In those states, you're supposed to have the title changed if you put a different engine in your car, truck, or motorcycle. If your state requires that, you may have to have a bill of sale or some document that proves you came into possession of the engine legally. Even if your state doesn't need the engine number, it's nice to have that proof, or at the very least pray that the number on your engine isn't on a hot sheet somewhere. Do you have a car or truck? Look at the title for it, and see if your state needs the engine number too. If not, I wouldn't even bring it up when you transfer or register it. Don't volunteer anything, answer only the questions they ask, and let the people at the DMV be the experts.

Also, as long as you've been asking questions about this build, it should have been transferred into your name long ago. I'm currently building a Shovelhead with a titled frame I bought on eBay. I had the frame sent to me at work (I was working at a HD dealership at the time) and had it titled in my name before I even brought it home the next day.

Get Adobe Flash player

Great info, thank you. I’ll check the title of my truck but I’m pretty sure in CA where the title is currently issued they require matching number frame/motor. I’ll have to research Oregon’s policy. I’m not sure what the he’ll I was thinking by not going ahead and transferring my title before hand. It should be an issue, but would’ve been better for peace of mind now.

Get Adobe Flash player

not in Cali but I seriously doubt that they demand ''MATCHING'' VIN & Motor numbers, .. if that were so 1/2 the cars & bikes on the roads there wouldn't be registered, matching numbers don't even come from the factory on many cars or Bikes still, I think you mean they demand Both the numbers on the title not that both numbers are the same....

Get Adobe Flash player

It would be retarded as fuck not to do it that way because no possible downside exists, which is why I do it that way. I also get a hard copy of the new title in my fucking hand (not mailed, though that may save a few dollars but the cost difference isn't enough to matter to anyone with any business owning a Harley). Then properly store that title in a box with other documents, preferably in a fire safe so you have proof if it drops out of the system.

Many title hassles happen because people are lazy or hard-headed (which is another term for "proud to be stupid"). I don't have title hassles because I'm ruthless about paperwork.

Don't volunteer anything, answer only the questions they ask, and let the people at the DMV be the experts.
    That advice is pure gold! Many people compulsively babble when shutting the fuck up would win the day.

Always double check the data on your hard copy against your clear, well lit photo of your VIN (easy to highlight with white paint or chalk) or your verified (meaning you just looked at it) older title you wisely took before getting title. Trust nothing including gravity and sunlight. Never hurry. Be calm and thorough.

Get Adobe Flash player

Find a title/registration company (not AAA) that does this stuff for a living. Any way it goes they will give you the info you need.

Share This