Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tictoc
    • May 2019

Left side brake rear disc conversion on a 74 sportster

Seen a few Right side ones but no left side ones at all. Anyone have a pic or a link to share?
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by tictoc
    Seen a few Right side ones but no left side ones at all. Anyone have a pic or a link to share?
    Have you thought about why you haven't seen any????????

Comment

• tictoc
      • May 2019

Maybe I did not Clarify enough. The 74 uses a Left Side brake foot pedal Right side shift. Have not seen one setup for disc brake yet.
      Look for pictures or some other setup ideas.

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

This can be done by welding a lever to the pedal itself to actuate a master cylinder. In that case the cross shaft is just a pivot. Or, shorten the cross shaft lever on the right side and attach a link for the master cylinder. The problem there is that the chain is kinda in the way.

Jim

Comment

• tictoc
          • May 2019

Ahhh that makes sense. Will probably go with the direct pedal to master cylinder, will need to find a spot to mount it, then a new rear disc wheel and some caliper. Thanks!!

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

One way to convert an Ironhead Sportster from drum to disc brake
            This 1974 left side brake XLH
            needed more stopping power.

With the GMA master cylinder mounted. The plunger is from a 70-79 FLH. It is accuated by an L bracket under the bolt that cinches the brake pedal to the shaft. Brake light switch is screwed into a banjo bolt adapter.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	iron6.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1317613

If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• JBinNC
              • Dec 2018

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
              One way to convert an Ironhead Sportster from drum to disc brake
              This 1974 left side brake XLH
              needed more stopping power.

With the GMA master cylinder mounted. The plunger is from a 70-79 FLH. It is accuated by an L bracket under the bolt that cinches the brake pedal to the shaft. Brake light switch is screwed into a banjo bolt adapter.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]102388[/ATTACH]

http://www.ny1e.com/irondisc.htm
              Mounting brake parts (or anything really) below the lower frame rail is extremely bad practice. Much better to have the lever above the pivot, and a bellcrank at the master cylinder. But yes, that pic shows the general idea.

Jim

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

You can orient a master cylinder in any position if the reservoir is remote or you just use a section of clear tubing like the sport bike guys (did tubing with my FXR using a bagger round master cylinder, no pics at moment because bike disassembled) for the reservoir. The traditional horizontal mounting is purely for layout convenience and use with integral reservoirs.

I got the idea from this post:

A few have asked so here ya go. You want a front brake but you also like the minimalist look up front. Follow me down the rabbit hole. I say rabbit hole because if you’re going to change up your master cylinder during this process, you’ve gotta make sure your get the correct size master cylinder. I kinda cheated and used the

Comment

• tictoc
                  • May 2019

What about a rear wheel? What years will work? I run a 16" laced wheel 3/4 axle and found a few with rotor and pulley drive which I think you can just convert just not sure.

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

Any 3/4" HD axle rear should bolt on with some axle spacer fiddling.

Line up wheel sprocket with transmission sprocket (belts have pulleys but you can bolt sprockets to their place on the wheel) since that's mandatory, then sort out your choice of caliper mount. The plain flat plate aftermarket style mount are the most versatile.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;