Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

S&S Super E slain by dumbass.

Clueless owner didn't know screw slots are for counting fractions of turns and ran this one in so hard the tip snapped off when he tried to unscrew it. Zoom if you're on a phone. The tip remains in the now grossly enlarged hole.

Carb body is junk with only a few thousand miles on it.

Noob warning: Use your fingertips on these S&S mixture screws and and similar and NEVER bottom them out with more than gentle fingertip force. Ruining the seat is common and there's no repair option If you buy a used S&S inspect that hole with a BRIGHT light.
    Attached Files
  • Hatchet54
    • Sep 2012

I think you're misreading the whole thing Farmall, the PO just got his mixture absolutely perfect and wanted to make sure that it never got messed with. He was being smart, really.

Comment

• markwade74
      • Mar 2012

How do you even do that? Almost like you'd have to be trying to sabotage it

Comment

• DoomBuggy
        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by markwade74
        How do you even do that? Almost like you'd have to be trying to sabotage it
        I suspect either alcohol or pot may have been involved.

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Hatchet54
          I think you're misreading the whole thing Farmall, the PO just got his mixture absolutely perfect and wanted to make sure that it never got messed with. He was being smart, really.
          Hmmmm....I'm glad the EPA didn't mandate torque-to-yield mixture screws.

The Sporty it came off of will live again after I help the new owner refresh it. It'll get a bare carb to reuse the filter housing etc since there's so little difference in price between a bare body + a master rebuild kit and a bare carb.
          Last edited by farmall; 04-17-2020, 1:05 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
            • Sep 2010

......... Popeyed Out .........

Dang good can of spinach, that day ... !!

Last edited by Dragstews; 04-17-2020, 1:29 PM.
            Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• klondikekid64
              • Nov 2013

All loose screws need to be tightened right? I see it all the time on small engines that newbies mess with, lucky for them you can get a replacement china carb on flea bay for "cheap"

Comment

• Davestune
                • May 2014

dude its a sportster, u junk the bike and save the carb

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

If it were an Ironhead I would advise putting it out of its misery , but Evo five speeds are so tough they're (almost) idiot proof and this one (whose original, righteous owner sold it to Karb Killah then bought it back) had respectable testicles due to cams and a bore kit.

The story just got more interesting as the youngster (a good lad but in need of an MSF course as he's a noob) crashed my bros previously nice '86 FXR today. After making the rescue run I got to ops check the castering dolly I'd made from scrap a while back moving the otherwise unpushable FXR. I didn't have the rear caster style I want to use but it works well and the castering front wheels (not used on the rollback dollies I copied but which I require for longer distance pulls) make steering reasonable even with bent forks and a smashed rim. Second pic shows the FXR on my ancient orange plumbing pipe stand and the patient lift I use as an easily mobile shop crane. (The pt. lifts fit through a standard doorway and kick ass for putting engines on workbenches and stands. You want one!) Leg spread is adjustable too.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by farmall; 04-18-2020, 8:58 PM.

Comment

• datadavid
                    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by farmall
                    If it were an Ironhead I would advise putting it out of its misery , but Evo five speeds are so tough they're (almost) idiot proof and this one (whose original, righteous owner sold it to Karb Killah then bought it back) had respectable testicles due to cams and a bore kit.

The story just got more interesting as the youngster (a good lad but in need of an MSF course as he's a noob) crashed my bros previously nice '86 FXR today. After making the rescue run I got to ops check the castering dolly I'd made from scrap a while back moving the otherwise unpushable FXR. I didn't have the rear caster style I want to use but it works well and the castering front wheels (not used on the rollback dollies I copied but which I require for longer distance pulls) make steering reasonable even with bent forks and a smashed rim. Second pic shows the FXR on my ancient orange plumbing pipe stand and the patient lift I use as an easily mobile shop crane. (The pt. lifts fit through a standard doorway and kick ass for putting engines on workbenches and stands. You want one!) Leg spread is adjustable too.
                    That guy wont be alive long enough to learn anything if he keeps this up�� i've been lucky when poking Broken idle mix screws out, holes have been serviceable afterwards. Screw just went a bit further in, still worked. Had a super carb guru fix one with jb weld and a broach once also, it still runs perfect

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;