Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • albertaxs650
    • Aug 2014

8 cell antigravity battery for 1200 sporty

I have a 1200 sporty with paughco frame but there is no room for a stock battery behind the backbone. I was looking at the 8 cell antigravity battery. I have heard people using these on there sporty chops. Can any one vouch for this?
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

The manufacturing of lithium batteries has mostly gone to shit, so good luck with that.

Jim

Comment

• albertaxs650
      • Aug 2014

I have heard that but then I've also heard the opposite so I'm unsure

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

They are JUNK...... I deal with the quite a bit.......Proceed with caution....

But it's your money.... Spend it as you choose.....

Or better yet go to batteries plus bulbs with your dimensions and buy a top quality sealed battery.....
        Last edited by Tattooo; 04-16-2020, 9:45 AM.

Comment

• KG
          • Dec 2012

If you go that route I would recommend an easy access quick disconnect. Buddy almost watch his shovel burn when the batterie ignited! Has happened to a lot of people...

Comment

• 69Glide
            • Jun 2016

My Experience

I bought an AntiGravity battery last spring to try in my 69. Did a lot of research because I had heard a lot of stories about these batteries, pro and con.

If you want to run one of these batteries you need to control battery temp and charging voltage - the battery won't do well if these values are out of spec.

I live in the Mojave dessert and I ride year round so I have to look closely at temperature limitations for anything on the motorcycle. Antigravity batteries are limited to 140 deg F ambient. Inside an oil tank in the summer in the sun sitting in traffic in the dessert you are probably fucked.

Charging voltage is specified at no more than 14.4 volts. I run a converted Denso alternator on this bike, the voltage regulator was a 14.5 volt regulator so that was out of spec. I found a 14.25 regulator for this alternator and that took care of the voltage problem. You must meet the charging system spec or you will have failure.

I had no idea what the actual battery temp was on this bike - I have run Odyssey PC-925 battery for the last 9 years and it has been rock solid, no issues so I never really worried about battery temp.

I installed the Antigravity battery last Sept and installed a temperature logger to keep tabs on the battery. I fabricated a temperature shield from 1" XPS high density building insulation and aluminum heat reflective tape. This box shields the battery on the front, bottom, and inside surface which are the primary heat sources in my application. The top, back, and outside have airflow to help dissipate the heat.

Sept is still hot in the dessert - my battery temp data show that battery temp (with temp probe on inside battery wall) stayed several degrees (I say several because ambient is quite variable depending on your situation) above outside ambient temp so I decided I'd run the battery, keep an eye on the temp, and see what happens long term.

No issues so far, battery works great, cranks the motor (93" stroker) just fine. I have experience with this battery at outside temps from 35 deg F to 105 deg F and it works fine. It's starting to warm up here now, and I'll likely be at worst case temps by July, we'll see what happens then. I'm optimistic but the data will tell the real story.

If you can control the temp and charge voltage these batteries work well, if you can't control these variables then don't spend the money, you will not be happy and when these batteries do cook off there's not much you can do, the reaction becomes self sustaining very quickly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1604.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	1317442

Looks stock which is important to me..

Name:	IMG_1601.jpg
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	1317444

Name:	IMG_1599.jpg
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	1317446

Name:	IMG_1611.jpg
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	1317445

Temp shield box..

This is the datalogger - pretty handy gadget when you need to know instead of guess.

-40°C to +125°C (-40 to +257°F) probe measurement range High contrast LCD with temperature display USB interface for set-up and data download User programmable alarm thresholds Red and green status LEDs Immediate, delayed and push start logging Supplied with 1.0m type 2 sensor probe Probe length can be easily extended with extension cable Replaceable lithium battery and Windows control software

This describes my experience with Anti-Gravity battery so far. I'm not a shill for Anti-Gravity and in fact was very skeptical when I started this experiment but I've begun to acquire real data and I'm starting to come around - if I get to Sept this year with no issues I'd have no problem recommending these batteries provided your design keeps temp and voltage within spec.

Just my experience so far - yours may vary.

Comment

• golfish
              • Jul 2017

I run a Shorai battery on my bike (model # LFX21A6-BS12) the power is awesome. The bike can sit for a couple months and its fresh as ever.
              I did a lot of research on them before I decided on this one. Plus it only weighs about 3 pounds

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
                • Jan 2015

Don't do it! I did and would never again. Now I make all my batteries quick access. I was unbolting my seat, clipping wires and pulling a fuming, melting battery out of my oil tank with a pair of grill tongs and rubber gloves.
                Find a battery locally that comes with some customer service. They make lots of good AGM batteries in all kinds of sizes now with enough power to turn your bike over and they are way cheaper and if one fails you can replace it that day.

Comment

• Phail
                  • Dec 2011

I had the 8 cell in my 1250 Sportster (upgraded 900). Had it for years with no problems at all. It was the 99 XL with points and no fuses on the bike at all. LOL Never had a problem.

My 80" Evo had the 18 cell for a few years but I shorted it out and almost burned down my bike. Oil tank sunk down and grounded the main on the starter (forgot to put the spaces on the bolts). Oops. The battery was under the seat next to the oil tank (where they say don't put it). Didn't have any heat issues.

I picked up a new 12 cell for it because it was big enough. Ran great for a few days then stopped. Pulled it out and it was swollen. After reading a bit I found out that I was over charging it. Also found out that when I shorted out my bike the year before I also nuked my regulator.

New reg, new 12 cell (Amazon refund) and the bike is running perfect again.

I'm rebuilding my bike and as I'm doing this I'm also reworking the battery box. Making it more open to the air and spaced away from the oil tank. Also giving it plenty of space below so it doesn't short out again.

So as it's been said. Make sure you are not over charging it and make sure it's not too hot. I've had my bike sit for a year, even through winter, and it started right up when I got around to it (electric start). When I turn off my bike there is no power going to anything.

There are a lot of people that hate them and had nothing but problems with them. I'm not one of them.

Comment

• rockman96
                    • May 2018

Originally posted by Phail
                    There are a lot of people that hate them and had nothing but problems with them. I'm not one of them.
                    That's because you made sure your shit is compatible and within tolerance requirements... If you are too lazy to do this, then buy something else.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;