Rubber/glue used to shield hot wire in controls?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TeeJayE
    • May 2017

Rubber/glue used to shield hot wire in controls?

So I’ve installed a new turn signal module to run low wattage LEDs on my 94 FXD, and for whatever reason the turn signal switch input needs an earth feed rather than a live one as in the factory configuration.

I’ve desoldered the live on the turn signal switch and sealed it, and then run a new earth into the harness to the switch and it’s all working great but there was a blob of rubber glue of some sort on the soldered joint before to shield the live.

Not that it’s really needed but in case I ever switch it back... what’s the substance used in this case?
  • DustyDave
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

There are lots of those compounds out there just look through an electronics catalog. But if there is any chance you might need to remove it I would suggest Dow Corning 732 silicone. Tough, good insulator, lasts a long time out of the sun, Easily removed with a gasoline rag.
    Dusty
    Driving that train, high on cocaine
    Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
    Trouble ahead, trouble behind
    And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• TeeJayE
      • May 2017

Perfect, thanks for the info.

Comment

• 70fatster
        • Jan 2013

There's a product called "Liquid Electrical Tape" used in marine applications. Comes with a brush in the cap. Takes a couple coats to make good insulation.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;