Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DRare
    • Aug 2019

So I tried and the photo is what I had. One headlight hooked onto the first pole by itself to act as a low beam, and that worked fine. Then I split the wire from the first headlight along with the wire from the second and put them both on the second pole. The only issue i'm having is that when i put them both together on the second pole then both headlights light up no matter which position the switch is in. Granted neither headlight is grounded yet just wanted to see why that would happen. The way i have it wired now is just a rough job to figure out how to do it. Click image for larger version

Name:	Sportster Wiring.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1317344

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

ya, called feedback...read above again.
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• DRare
        • Aug 2019

Oh Jesus I missed that reply completely. Thank you!

Comment

• Sky
          • Aug 2009

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200413_110628.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	1317366
          Can you see the diagram this time?

Comment

• DRare
            • Aug 2019

Yes. Thank you. I’ll have to get one of those diodes and give it a try. They eliminate the feedback of power?

Comment

• TriNortchopz
              • Dec 2017

too easy Sky, thanks, again.
              If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• DRare
                • Aug 2019

Alright guys prepare to laugh, I have a new problem on here. Any ideas as to why when I turn the key switch to off the bike continues running on its own? Would that be indicative of a faulty key switch or would something else cause this problem?

Comment

• JBinNC
                  • Dec 2018

Sounds like you have 12V going to your coil/module all the time. Don't walk away from it like that, disconnect the battery. The coil will overheat if left connected and not running.

Jim

Comment

• 70fatster
                    • Jan 2013

Assuming you don't have a magneto, the coil is getting power after he switch is turned off.
                    Use a test light on the coil to see what happens in all switch positions. If it never goes out then it is backfeeding somewhere, I'd think the lighting circuit is most likely. Remove the other wires one at a time until the culprit is located.
                    If it's a magneto then the magneto must be grounded to stop the spark. There's a terminal on the side of the magneto housing which should have a small brass grounding contact on it. Push that against the housing and it will stop.

Comment

• DRare
                      • Aug 2019

I disconnected the battery after it did that. Won't reconnect it until i figure it out. Just never experienced that before. It started and shut off fine for a few days now it stays running.

Comment

• DRare
                        • Aug 2019

I don't have lighting hooked up anywhere on the bike. Just started thinking about headlights but i need a diode that i don't have.

Comment

• JBinNC
                          • Dec 2018

If you have an aftermarket ignition switch, it may have failed. Otherwise, you may have two connectors touching somewhere (like the back of the switch).

Jim

Comment

• DRare
                            • Aug 2019

It's an aftermarket ignition switch. Might look into using the factory one and seeing if it does the same thing. I'll double check the connectors.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;