Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ToneWitch
    • Mar 2020

1980 FXS Low Rider ShovelHead

Finally, after years-and-years of looking, I finally got a shovelhead with a kicker.

This particular bike had been sitting under a tree for 8-10 years. Case matches frame numbers. From the vin I can see 7G which tells me it’s a Low Rider FXS. Year is 1980. It’s kinda like a time capsule. Has all these big 80’s chrome parts that are ugly as hell. I love it ha.

Polished the pitted chrome. Rewired the whole bike with fresh leads. Rebuilt theirs bendix carburetor using nothing but what I had laying around. Fired right up. Almost like it never left the road.
    Attached Files
  • garystaven88
    • Mar 2014

Nice Shovel. Not much on it resembles an FXS Lowrider anymore that's for sure.

What are your plans for it?

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Very nice looking bike but I agree, Not much left of the FXS......

Just the dash, fender struts and the black paint on the motor but a nice bike just the same.......

Oh yea, It doesn't look like it sat under a tree for long unless it was in Arizona.....
      Last edited by Tattooo; 04-11-2020, 6:47 AM.

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Cool. I'd install an air filter because open carbs don't smother backfire-induced fires. Good idea leaving the split tanks since they hold a decent amount of fuel.

Comment

• james69
          • Feb 2018

My favorite exhaust

Comment

• ToneWitch
            • Mar 2020

Yeah the pic is after I cleaned it all up guys lol. It no longer looks like it was under a tree for years but that’s where I found it. Air filter off because I had to rebuild the carb. It’s got a wide glide front end and GMA controls and calipers. It’s a numbers matching 15k original miles. Runs great now. I am wanting to put it back to stock. Original plan was to build a lane splitter but it’s just to nice to butcher.

Comment

• ToneWitch
              • Mar 2020

Click image for larger version

Name:	4AAFFD60-6C4C-4D6A-BCEB-A501D536DC2D.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	1317301

Comment

• ToneWitch
                • Mar 2020

Rear wheel is missing a spoke and it’s pitted beyond restoration.

Front wheel is for a dual caliper narrow glide but I have a wide glide single caliper wheel and rotor brand new in the box for it. I really would like to get the narrow front end back on it.

I want to powder coat the GMA billet pieces black. They are some nice pieces but way to bling for me.

New shocks for the rear. Stockish looking ones.

I would like to put a horseshoe oil tank on it to hide the wiring and battery.

Of course I’ll be keeping all the take off parts and storing them for a later day.

Mainly wanting to get a swing arm, king and queen chopper set up.

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ToneWitch
                  I would like to put a horseshoe oil tank on it to hide the wiring and battery.

Of course I’ll be keeping all the take off parts and storing them for a later day.

You can't do the above...^^^^^ And also do the below you also posted...... You can't have it both ways.....

It’s a numbers matching 15k original miles. Runs great now. I am wanting to put it back to stock.
                  Here is my 16,000 mile original paint 79 FXS........
                  Attached Files

Comment

• garystaven88
                    • Mar 2014

I am wanting to put it back to stock.
                    Great call. To me, the Shovelhead FXS Low Rider was one of the greatest looking factory creations HD made. They also did a hell of a job when they re-created the look in 2014.

Here is my 84' Low Rider. It has 78' Low Rider tanks. I'm getting rid of the forward controls and going to factory mids. Next year I plan to ditch the 35mm forks for 39mm with dual disk setup.

Generally not a fan of post-Evo shit but HD did well with this IMO.
                    Last edited by garystaven88; 04-12-2020, 9:19 AM.

Comment

• ToneWitch
                      • Mar 2020

Originally posted by Tattooo
                      You can't do the above...^^^^^ And also do the below you also posted...... You can't have it both ways.....
                      Yeah, I can get it back to stock. With all the stock parts so I have them on hand and then do whatever the fuck I want afterwards?

Comment

• ToneWitch
                        • Mar 2020

Plan: get all the stock parts so I have them on hand.

Do the mods that I like at the same time.

“Can’t have it both ways”

Well the fuck I can’t.

Comment

• ToneWitch
                          • Mar 2020

Basically want to be able to switch it back to stock if I ever sell it which is doubtful but a possibility.

Comment

• Hatchet54
                            • Sep 2012

Plan: get all the stock parts so I have them on hand.

Do the mods that I like at the same time.

“Can’t have it both ways”

Well the fuck I can’t.
                            Don't listen to him man
                            This bike is rockin

Comment

• farmall
                              • Apr 2013

If you're going narrow glide, which I prefer too, I'd go for a 39mm front end instead, preferably dual disc since those bikes ain't light. Besides the aluminum triple clamps which look much better you get a far wider caliper selection. Stock single piston calipers are shit but four-piston choices abound. Sportster and big twin 39mm are interchangeable. I go for the longest stock length tubes and after buying a set I love Trackerdie dampers because suspension travel = comfort. They're longer than FXRT dampers making them the longest 39mm dampers available.

Check out Smith Bros & Fetro struts (Ebay) and "strutless" fat bob rear fenders for a cleaner look. I've run strutless style since the 1980s (struts pit, the combo of struts/fender/more hardware annoys me and the have plenty of tire clearance). Good score on the exhaust. Drag pipes suffocate engines.

IDGAF about how much original shit's left since mine are for riding. I always run 5 gallon tanks because fuel stops suck and I don't sacrifice practicality.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;