Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markwade74
    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by ToneWitch
    Basically want to be able to switch it back to stock if I ever sell it which is doubtful but a possibility.
    Its a great plan, I did the same thing. Nice bike, have fun keep posting pics as you go

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Plan: get all the stock parts so I have them on hand.

Do the mods that I like at the same time.

“Can’t have it both ways”

Well the fuck I can’t.
      Not really, Just saying you have all the stock parts doesn't mean much...... Plus I don't see you buying $2000 worth of parts just to sit on....

But you can do what ever you want it's your bike and money.......

I'd just enjoy it as it is now......

Comment

• markwade74
        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by farmall
        IDGAF about how much original shit's left since mine are for riding. I always run 5 gallon tanks because fuel stops suck and I don't sacrifice practicality.
        Truth. This is "chop cult" after all

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Hatchet54
          Don't listen to him man
          This bike is rockin
          Don't listen to who???????? I also think the bike is nice...... Refer back to #3 post.......

Comment

• ToneWitch
            • Mar 2020

Tattooo, The problem is I don’t enjoy it how it is now. wide glide front end sucks. Wide bikes in general suck. I need to go through everything before I’d trust jumping on it and riding.

Farmall, this exhaust doesn’t fit right. The kicker scrapes across it. I’ve kicked it over so much it’s nearly cut a hole in the upper tube.
            So it will need exhaust. It’s not the stock exhaust I know that. My plan was to cut it just before the kicker for the time being and baffle it.

So for those of you who know, are the wheels not original? Did they come with mags only in 1980?

Farmall, only reason I want a single caliper front end is it’s more cost effective right now. And will get me rolling sooner. That’s good to know about the interchangeability of front ends. There are a few available in local ads here I’ll be looking at.

It has a belt conversion on the primary. Primary oil return is blocked off. So no going back there unless I drill and tap it.

Comment

• ToneWitch
              • Mar 2020

Originally posted by rockman96
              Not to put words in tattooo's mouth, but I *think* he was saying a horseshoe tank is not stock(?), or that's the way I took it.
              I cut and modified my 1981 FXS more than two decades ago. I sort of wish I had left the frame stock, but it's subtle and one of a kind now and I like it. I do not at all regret boring the heads and cases to build a 96" motor.
              Yeah, I think we’re passed this already. I get what he was saying and I didn’t describe in very good detail how I’m going about it. Also, I’m a fucking mechanic by trade and fucking curse like one ha.

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Tattooo, The problem is I don’t enjoy it how it is now. wide glide front end sucks. Wide bikes in general suck. I need to go through everything before I’d trust jumping on it and riding.
                I got ya, Now I understand....

I don't blame you for wanting to go over it after it has been sitting that long that's the smart thing to do....

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Yeah, I think we’re passed this already. I get what he was saying and I didn’t describe in very good detail how I’m going about it. Also, I’m a fucking mechanic by trade and fucking curse like one ha.
                  Hell I cuss also..... Just a little bit..... LOL

I was just trying to help..... I didn't think you understood how far from stock that bike is since you just got it.....
                  Last edited by Tattooo; 04-12-2020, 11:02 AM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

So for those of you who know, are the wheels not original? Did they come with mags only in 1980?
                    FXE came with wire wheels..... FXS came with mags.....

Comment

• ToneWitch
                      • Mar 2020

That’s what I thought. I like spoked wheels better IMO. I know they are more maintenance than mags but they just look so classic.

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

That’s what I thought. I like spoked wheels better IMO. I know they are more maintenance than mags but they just look so classic.
                        I like Spokes way better also...... Hell I took the mags off of my 07 Street Glide and put on spokes......

But you asked if your FXS came with mags... I answered your question, I didn't say they looked better or worse.........

Like I said it's your bike make it the way you like it and ride it.....

Comment

• ToneWitch
                          • Mar 2020

Yep, I figured because of the vintage these were likely mag wheel only bikes. Seems like I’ll be having to replace quite a bit to get this where I want.

Found a narrow 39mm front end w/axle.
                          So I’ll need a single caliper narrow glide spoke wheel for my brake set up.
                          Definitely will be purchasing the 6” over kit.

I’m interested in the seat and fender kits farmall was talking about. Would like to use a cleaner looking fender and strut for the king and queen set up.

Also, I’m a fabricator. Just don’t have my hands on a low of raw stock right now because of the coronavirus.

Should I move the shock mounts back?

Comment

• ToneWitch
                            • Mar 2020

I found this pic on here and it’s pretty similar to the set up I’m going forClick image for larger version

Name:	AA3C2C95-8632-45C7-925C-2272725E0C59.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1317326

Comment

• Whoremonger
                              • Jan 2014

in my opinion those shovels are SUPER reliable. I got a 78 low rider that I have beaten on for years and she just asks for more. It's the funest bike I own. I do change the oil on a regular basis. I did do a top end about 10 years ago. Blew a hole through the rear piston on my way to work. Still limped home on one piston. The blown piston was 100% my fault. Riding WOT on freeway with an intake manifold leak. Was unaware of it. You did good man

Comment

• ToneWitch
                                • Mar 2020

Originally posted by Whoremonger
                                in my opinion those shovels are SUPER reliable. I got a 78 low rider that I have beaten on for years and she just asks for more. It's the funest bike I own. I do change the oil on a regular basis. I did do a top end about 10 years ago. Blew a hole through the rear piston on my way to work. Still limped home on one piston. The blown piston was 100% my fault. Riding WOT on freeway with an intake manifold leak. Was unaware of it. You did good man
                                Thanks man it’s been a long time coming for me to get a shovel. There just wasn’t any available and when there was my buddy would always swoop in and buy them fix’ em and charge more than I could afford. I beat him to this one though and I’m glad I did. I showed him a picture and he was like I just offered that guy cash for it. Little did he know I had responded to the ad when it was only up for 3 minutes.

Got a buddy in CO who has all the parts I need. 4” over front end. New rear wheel. Picking up some shocks today. Here is vid. More to come later.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;