Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 69Glide
    • Jun 2016

Post Run

Just back from an 80 mph 25 mile freeway ride - this bike runs sweet..

• laeljon
    • Dec 2016

BeeYOOTiful....

Comment

• flatman
      • Sep 2017

Would you care to elaborate on the alternator on your "generator" shovel. What kind of alternator. what did it fit originally? Seems to fit the generator area fine. Mods to the body? How much is one? Is it small enough to fit inside a harley generator shell? I would like to stuff something similar into a ford flathead generator case, for a Indian chief. The powermaster conversion they sell for flathead fords is to big for the Indian police generator bracket.
      Last edited by flatman; 04-08-2020, 4:39 PM.

Comment

• 69Glide
        • Jun 2016

Originally posted by flatman
        Would you care to elaborate on the alternator on your "generator" shovel. What kind of alternator. what did it fit originally? Seems to fit the generator area fine. Mods to the body? How much is one? Is it small enough to fit inside a harley generator shell? I would like to stuff something similar into a ford flathead generator case, for a Indian chief. The powermaster conversion they sell for flathead fords is to big for the Indian police generator bracket.
        The alternator is a conversion done by Ray Duguay in Canada. You can contact him at [email protected].

The conversion consists of a new alternator shaft, machine work on the alternator case, and an adapter containing a bearing and seal. The alternator is bolted to the adapter and the adapter bolts to the engine.

The base alternator is a Denso. they are used on lift trucks, forklifts and industrial engines etc. They are classed by rotor size, this is a 93mm which is rated at 41 amps continuous, which is the smallest physical size available. It will not fit inside a harley generator, I can't answer the flathead generator question. The base alternators are pretty cheap - tons of them out there. The conversion is labor intensive and not cheap. Need to completely disassemble the unit, press out the old shaft, fabricate and install the new shaft, machine the case for clearance (remove mounting ears etc), locate, drill/tap mounting holes for adapter to alternator case interface, fabricate, assemble, and install adapter. etc.

Not cheap to get there - but when you are done the thing is install and forget for many many thousands of miles. My bike is a year around daily driver and I'm retired so I rack up a lot of miles every year, I've replace the slip ring brushes on this unit and thats about all I've had to do.

Google search Denso alternators, a lot of info available out there.

If you contact Ray tell him 69Glide (Kelly from Las Vegas) says "Hey".

Comment

• flatman
          • Sep 2017

Thanks you for the detailed info. it really is very much appreciated. I will check into the denso. Will probably contact ray also. Do you know what the physical OD is of the alternator? Oh and by the way. really nice bike, sounds great! Thanks again!

Comment

• 69Glide
            • Jun 2016

Originally posted by flatman
            Thanks you for the detailed info. it really is very much appreciated. I will check into the denso. Will probably contact ray also. Do you know what the physical OD is of the alternator? Oh and by the way. really nice bike, sounds great! Thanks again!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-04-09 10.30.50.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	1317196

This is the widest dimension with the mounting ears removed.. You could make it a little smaller by removing some material from the case bosses.

Thanks for the kind words on the bike - I've had it since 1986 and rode a lot of miles, and it's still great. I've had several Big Twins through the years and this is the latest model I've owned.

Comment

• flatman
              • Sep 2017

Dont think this will work for me. Clamp is 4.25 id and I would still like to put the ford generator body in there. Then stuff the alternator in the body. Dont have a body yet but like all generators they are plenty thick. Once again thanks for the time to answer my questions.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;