CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Update. That coil on the right in the pictures is completely dead. Neither coil wire on it is firing. There’s a coil wife going to the front cylinder and the rear. Neither one is getting fire.

The coil on the left is fine. The coil wire going to the front cylinder and the rear cylinder is firing. But somehow the rear isn’t igniting.

I tested the compression on both cylinders, but I can only kick start it, so both only showed 90.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

try turning the controller to duel fire and let us know if that helps.
    Dusty

OK, ignition module is set for single fire, so both plug leads from one coil will go to the front cylinder and both plug leads from the other coil will serve the rear cylinder. That is not a wasted spark system.

Dusty's suggestion is spot on, put it on dual fire and use one coil. It should run fine. If not, you have a module going bad. If it runs good, you have a bad coil or a wiring problem.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Superman27e View Post
    Update. That coil on the right in the pictures is completely dead. Neither coil wire on it is firing. There’s a coil wife going to the front cylinder and the rear. Neither one is getting fire.

The coil on the left is fine. The coil wire going to the front cylinder and the rear cylinder is firing. But somehow the rear isn’t igniting.

I tested the compression on both cylinders, but I can only kick start it, so both only showed 90.
    You have the plug leads mixed up. Leave it like that and switch to dual fire and it should run.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    You have the plug leads mixed up. Leave it like that and switch to dual fire and it should run.

Jim

Runs now I got rid of the coil on the right, put in dual fire mode and just used the coil on the left. Works now.

Out of curiosity, how can you tell if the oil is circulating? I popped the top off of the oil tank, but the oil didn’t look like it was moving. Is that an accurate test? I’ve rode it for 3 days, so I assume if it wasn’t circulating, I’d have no more Shovelhead

After a few miles, lay a hand on the oil tank. If it's warm, oil is circulating.

You should have an oil lamp or gauge, or both, on any HD to assure you have oil pressure. That's just common sense. These motors are expensive.

Jim

After a few miles, lay a hand on the oil tank. If it's warm, oil is circulating.

You should have an oil lamp or gauge, or both, on any HD to assure you have oil pressure. That's just common sense. These motors are expensive.

Jim

They sure are! There’s an oil lamp, I just hope it works, haha.

Also, thank you and everyone else for the help! You guys are great!

They sure are! There’s an oil lamp, I just hope it works, haha.

Also, thank you and everyone else for the help! You guys are great!
    You should thank Dusty especially for suggesting the dual fire setting.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DustyDave View Post
    try turning the controller to duel fire and let us know if that helps.
    Dusty

That did the trick bud, thanks!

Get Adobe Flash player

It will run in that mode because you essentially made it back into the standard harley ignition . However it negates the whole reason for having a set of dual plug heads . When you get time and money buy another pair of coils ( that way they age the same ) and keep one in your saddlebag as a road spare. Then change it back to single fire.

You know now how to swap it back if something gives you trouble on the road .

Interesting post for me. Learned some things about an electronic ignition.
    Last edited by 47str8leg; 04-04-2020 at 1:29 PM.

Jim

After about 3 miles, it was slightly warm. Not hot

Get Adobe Flash player

That did the trick bud, thanks!
    Now take the primary coil wires from the coil that worked and put them on thew coil that didn't spark. If that makes it spark the problem is either voltage supply or the modulator. If it still doesn't spark replace the coil. Then run the plug wires from one coil to both plugs on one head and set it back to single fire. If it won't start swap the plug wires to the other coil. then let us know.
    Dusty

Share This