CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Hybrid View

Default Best year for an evo chop build?

Hey everyone, just wondering if theres a certain "special" year evo thats good for chopping I should look out for. In my area theres quite a few sportsters but most are out of my price/year range im looking for. There's a 91 1200 I believe and a 03 883, both belt drive and set up with bags/ highway pegs/ "live to ride stuff" all that. I'm just wondering if I should wait and which I might have to do until this virus stuff is over with anyway, or go for one of the two, or hold out for something better to come onto the market. Planning on doing a full on 70s style hardtail. Fork extensions, small frisco tank with a wild design, the works. Just wanting some opinions thanks!

If you are talking about evo XLs, you want to steer clear of the four speed ones. And in '04 they started rubber mounting the motor, and they got bigger and heavier.

Jim

Yeah, I knew about the 4speeds and I've read a little bit about them, and the rubber mount years too. So out of the 91-03 models is there any weird years like the 79 Ironheads I should avoid, or any certain year thats the best for part availability or just in general?

I am curious about this too, hopefully a guru will show up here shortly.

Of the five speed, solid mount XLs, '91 - '03, there isn't much difference. The frame was changed in '94 to eliminate the droopy rear fender struts.The primary cover was also changed in '94. In evos, especially the big twins, the newer the better. HD really did improve them over time. For an XL to chop up, any of the five speeds will serve.

Jim

2018 Thread: Best years for Sportsters drive train
    View Poll Results: Which year of Sportsters
    http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52134

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    Of the five speed, solid mount XLs, '91 - '03, there isn't much difference. The frame was changed in '94 to eliminate the droopy rear fender struts.The primary cover was also changed in '94. In evos, especially the big twins, the newer the better. HD really did improve them over time. For an XL to chop up, any of the five speeds will serve.

Jim

I see what you're saying about the droopy struts and primary cover, since its gonna be hardtailed and switched around none of that matters anyway. Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for the newest pre 03 1200xl I can find then.

Share This