Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Superman27e
    • Jan 2016

Best bike to build a bobber?

What’s up, guys? I’m looking to get into the bobber scene. I’ve got about $3200 to spend on bike to start my project. I know that Sportsters and Shovelheads are probably the most popular, but sportsters might be too small for me (6’2, 210lbs), and I haven’t been able to find a shovel head in my price range yet. So, what other harleys make for a good bobber that would be in my price range?

Thanks!
  • Tater66
    • Mar 2019

Keep looking. Deals are popping up all over. Hit craigslist in towns withing driving distance(500 miles at least). Dont just look in motorcycle section, check parts also. I saw a softail missing only the engine go for $1700.

Comment

• Tater66
      • Mar 2019

Comment

• Superman27e
        • Jan 2016

Wish I could find that in Ga!

Comment

• Hatchet54
          • Sep 2012

Virago 500, best bobber. Also CB350, best brat bobber. Sym Wolf 125, best retro brat bopper racer

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

The more money you have the better bobber you can build...
            Attached Files

Comment

• Cam87sporty
              • Dec 2019

In my opinion if it’s your first build look for a sportster. You can typically find a good starting sportster base for around 2k. Also remember that 86-03 are generally the same so no sense it finding a newer one. Also 883s are typically quite a bit less than 1200s but are only 600$ away from adding a 1200 kit. I think it will be difficult to find a good shovel base for 3200$ on top of that if you have problems sportsters probably have the most aftermarket support of any bike. Lastly your not too big for especially if you stretch it a few inches with a hardtail.

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

I'm the same height and about the same weight. I'd certainly do a Sportster (I have three) though for a main ride I prefer an Evo big twin (I've two FXRs but they make fugly bobbers, while an Evo Softail is a natural fit and can be hardtailed. The later five speed Sportsters have much better engines because the alternator is on the crankshaft while on the four speeds it's a abortion integrated with the clutch basket. I wouldn't buy a four speed with all the five speeds around. Sporties are much lighter and more agile than big twins, which is why they got their name.

If you buy an older HD like a Shovel expect to put serious additional money into it unless it's in exceptionally nice shape. If you don't already have an utterly reliable motorcycle, get an Evo instead and make a Shovel a second bike. Experienced mechanics can daily a Shovel but they're all ancient today.

Prices will drop as the economy continues to sink. The advertisements haven't caught up with reality and what people ask for is usually higher than what they'll take. I would openly remind them the stock market is in ruins but if they don't like your money someone else will.

Look on Facebook Marketplace. That's where many deals moved to in recent years.

Comment

• Sugarcubes
                  • Apr 2024

if it absolutely has to be a Harley then try to score a cheap evo softail as they can look quite nice once stripped down and a few tweaks made due to the early softail frame geometry. Other than that, you could go for an 883 evo sporty but having owned sporties and being the exact same height and weight as you, you might need to consider a 4" stretch hardtail or a bigger aftermarket frame to make it more comfortable on longer rides. Good luck

For reference. This was my ironhead sporty and this is what i built from a 95 heritage to replace it. If you can afford it..go for the larger bike.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200401_104549.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	1316903

Name:	IMG_20200328_132758_743.jpg
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	1316904
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2020, 3:50 AM.

Comment

• Superman27e
                    • Jan 2016

I looked out of state and found a 79 Shovel 2 hours away for $3400. 93ci (if that means anything). Seems to be in decent shape for what I’m looking to do. I’ve built bobbers before, but with Japanese bikes, so no Harley experience. I’ll probably go look at it/buy it today. I’ll update later today. Thanks, guys!

Comment

• Sugarcubes
                      • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Superman27e
                      I looked out of state and found a 79 Shovel 2 hours away for $3400. 93ci (if that means anything). Seems to be in decent shape for what I’m looking to do. I’ve built bobbers before, but with Japanese bikes, so no Harley experience. I’ll probably go look at it/buy it today. I’ll update later today. Thanks, guys!
                      Just remember with any of the older Harleys your gonna need to get your hands dirty wrenching on that thing. No matter how good it looks keep that in mind! If you are a competent enough wrench then have at it

Comment

• Superman27e
                        • Jan 2016

Here’s a picture of it. I’m going to call the guy in a bit to get the details, but it does run. Does $3400 sound like a fair deal?

Name:	1F52B3D8-17AC-4C47-9AB0-ABA417CEB08B.jpg
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	1316917

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

It looks like a deal to me if it has a clear title in his name..........

Comment

• Superman27e
                            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Tattooo
                            It looks like a deal to me if it has a clear title in his name..........
                            It does. I just spoke with him on the phone. Also has less than 30,000 miles. Crabs do need to be cleaned, but that's not an issue.

Comment

• ElekVins
                              • May 2011

Hard to tell much from this tiny pic, but it looks like a great start for your project, it's in your price range, complete, titled and it runs... go for it!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;