Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrailerParkKyle
    • Jul 2018

Springer ID

I just picked up this springer the other day and I'm having a hard time identifying it. The rockers seem to be upside down with zerk fittings facing downward. It seems like the rockers may not be the original ones. It has a removable 7/8 stem and very thick square solid rear legs. I know AEE and SIE did square legs but other parts made me think Fury with non original rockers. Can anybody weigh in on this please? I did read through the thread on Jockey Journal and looked at all the pictures that I could. Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200331-110923_Facebook.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	1346546

Name:	Screenshot_20200331-110917_Facebook.jpg
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	1346547

Name:	Screenshot_20200331-110910_Facebook.jpg
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	1346548

Name:	Screenshot_20200331-110858_Facebook.jpg
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	1346549

Name:	Screenshot_20200331-110850_Facebook.jpg
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	1346550
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by TrailerParkKyle
    I did read through the thread on Jockey Journal and looked at all the pictures that I could. Thanks in advance.
    What did they say it was over on JJ?????

Or did they all say that's a nice springer???????

Comment

• TrailerParkKyle
      • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
      What did they say it was over on JJ?????

Or did they all say that's a nice springer???????
      Nothing yet. We shall see. The thread over there has been quiet for a while.

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Nothing yet. We shall see. The thread over there has been quiet for a while.
        LOL Thread Hell, that whole place/forum has been quiet for years now........ Hell it's even quiet now with people having to stay home....... LOL

Comment

• TriNortchopz
          • Dec 2017

It looks like it was cut shorter and cut poorly; the back legs at the bottom look hacked, while the rocker holes on the bottom of the front legs are not even in the middle of the legs.

An interesting feature, which may help identify it it that the back legs are square below the bottom tree, and round above it. Also, it is inline, not offset, and the upper spring perch is thick...will dig through my files tonight.
          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• 47str8leg
            • Sep 2014

Name:	IMG_7141.JPG
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1316905

Rockers kind of look like the SB&F springer on the right. I used to have an Amen Square springer years ago that was drilled out on the bottom like that but there was no twist in the front legs. Probably offered it both ways. Could also be a cobbled together front end from a couple of different companies.
            Last edited by 47str8leg; 04-01-2020, 5:26 AM.

Comment

• TrailerParkKyle
              • Jul 2018

Originally posted by 47str8leg
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]101548[/ATTACH]

Rockers kind of look like the SB&F springer on the right. I used to have an Amen Square springer years ago that was drilled out on the bottom like that but there was no twist in the front legs. Probably offered it both ways. Could also be a cobbled together front end from a couple of different companies.
              I was looking at those SB&F rockers as well. The top spring perch looks different than theirs did. I have not dog in to Amen yet, I'll look at them. Thanks!

Comment

• TrailerParkKyle
                • Jul 2018

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                It looks like it was cut shorter and cut poorly; the back legs at the bottom look hacked, while the rocker holes on the bottom of the front legs are not even in the middle of the legs.

An interesting feature, which may help identify it it that the back legs are square below the bottom tree, and round above it. Also, it is inline, not offset, and the upper spring perch is thick...will dig through my files tonight.
                The front legs have some shape to them at the bottom, almost like eyelets where the twist ends. It is more centered in the leg than it appears in the picture because of the angle. I'll post another shot of where the legs meet the rockers later today. Thank you!

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                  • Dec 2017

Ya, not SB&F - note how upper spring perch is right next to the upper tree.

Not AEE as their square leg back leg goes right to the top, and upper spring perch close to upper tree:

Name:	AEE square springer, chopper guide, fall 1977.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1316909

Not Amen,as they have a 'point' in the middle of their upper spring perch:

Name:	Amen springer original ad.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1316910

Not California springer as they have one-piece upper tree/upper spring perch, like Columbia, Butts, and P&P springer:

Name:	California springer, pic & original ad, check rockers.jpg
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	1316911

Cycles International is close:

Name:	Cycles Int., springer, original ad.JPG
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	1316912

Not Denvers - offset trees, Not Dick Allen, not Finch, Not D&D, Not Jammers, Not Randy,

Fury has their spring perch in similar location, but lazy twist that is not twisted near the top, and no mention of square back leg:

Name:	furyspringer2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	1316913

KDM springer is close...how is the upper tree tightened to the back leg?
                  Last edited by TriNortchopz; 04-01-2020, 11:23 PM.
                  If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                    • Dec 2017

KDM:

Name:	KDM twistrail springer.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1316914

Not S.I.E., as square goes to top and upper spring perch close to top tree:

Name:	S.I.E springer sale ad, rd. or sq..jpg
Views:	4
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	1316915

Not Wheel Specialties - different shaped trees and spring perch...wonder if maybe a Wayne springer,saw pic of one once, didn't grab it...just have Wayne girder pics...

few more to look at here:

Chopper Front Ends

Comment

• TrailerParkKyle
                      • Jul 2018

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                      KDM springer is close...how is the upper tree tightened to the back leg?
                      It has pinch bolts that tighten the top tree on the legs. The to tree is also on upside down as those bolts would need to be accessible. Judging by neck length the top tree would also be sitting about 1/2 to 3/4 inches lower, the top of the rear legs/ start of the riser stud would then be flush with the top tree.

Name:	20200401_102732.jpg
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	1316918

Name:	20200401_102729.jpg
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	1316919
                      Last edited by TrailerParkKyle; 04-01-2020, 9:18 AM.

Comment

• 47str8leg
                        • Sep 2014

I was looking at those SB&F rockers as well. The top spring perch looks different than theirs did. I have not dog in to Amen yet, I'll look at them. Thanks!
                        I meant just the rockers themselves not the whole springer
                        Could be cobbled together from different companies.

Comment

• gww250
                          • Nov 2011

Not a Dick Allen for sure but keep in mind for further I.D. threads that Allen did use a rectangular spring bridge, not round, on his early forks before he went commercial with them.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by gww250
                            Not a Dick Allen for sure but keep in mind for further I.D. threads that Allen did use a rectangular spring bridge, not round, on his early forks before he went commercial with them.
                            Thanks Gary, I remember info I shared here before on a springer ID request thread that included Dick Allen's early springer with the rectangular bridge, as there is a Chopcult blog article written by Irish Rich, that includes a pic:

Name:	da_wide2.jpg
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1316939
                            "Now, look at the spacing of the upper springs on Mouse's DA front end. See how far apart they are? Dick built Mouse's front end just about as wide as an original springer was. Also note, that the lower spring perch bar is square - not round, and about as thick as the lower triple tree is."

I found this by accident........
                            ChopCult is the online mecca for motorcycle enthusiasts, with active, content-rich forums covering all makes and models of motorcycles, exclusive articles.

Comment

• TrailerParkKyle
                              • Jul 2018

Here's some pictures of the rockers in the correct position.

Name:	20200402_180329.jpg
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	1316964

Name:	20200402_180323.jpg
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	1316963

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum