worn lifter rollers/axle on both intakes only ??

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lightning80
    • Apr 2024

worn lifter rollers/axle on both intakes only ??

Hey all, new to this site but I have read a lot of posts and WOW there is a lot of shovel knowledge. Here's what is throwing me on my ride.

I'm running a 1980 FXWG with 80" +.030" jugs, KB pistons 9.5:1 , Vthunder 4040 cam , Jims powerglide big axle lifters in stock blocks with Jims pushrods ( blue anodized). S&S heads, complete assembly from S&S, with roller rockers.

So here's the concern, I took apart my cam chest side to inspect everything and when I checked the rollers of the Jims lifters I found that the rollers of the lifters for the intakes only ( both) had significant up and down movement on their roller axle but no side to side. (as if the roller shaft has been worn on the top and bottom sides only, allowing the roller to have free play up and down approx 0.125" up and down each way)

There is no free play in the rollers for both the exhaust lifter rollers at all !

I have put on at least 40,000 miles on this engine when I assembled it 20 years ago. New S&S Heads were installed about 10,000 miles ago.

Any idea what could have caused this ?

Appreciate any feedback.

Keep well.
  • Sky
    • Aug 2009

chopper forensics!
    Here's a short list off the top of my head

Lack of lubrication
    Check tappet screen first
    Blocked oil passages
    Synthetic oil (tendency for some bearings to "skate")
    Did you use stock tappet block gaskets? Or block the oil hole?(common for solids)
    Crankcase pressure (blow-by or breather issues)
    Side oil or end oil ?

Running pushrods too loose

Weak/broken valve springs
    (Chatter or bounce)

Mechanical interference
    Roller to block at top of travel
    Pushrod at rocker box
    Rocker arm inside pushrod
    Coil bind
    Valve seal clearance

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

1) You were lucky to get as far as 40K.

2) Lack of oil is not the problem. The breather gear throws so much oil on the cam and tappets they are drowning in it.

3) Sky's idea of mechanical interference is a good one, and that is what you should investigate.

Jim

Comment

• Lightning80
        • Apr 2024

Thanks Guys,

Lack of lubrication - all looks good other than the 2 roller from intake
        Check tappet screen first - tappet screen clear
        Blocked oil passages - oil passages clear
        Synthetic oil (tendency for some bearings to "skate") - I use 50W synthetic made by LUCAS OIL for air/oil cooled motors
        Did you use stock tappet block gaskets? Or block the oil hole?(common for solids) - stock tappet blocks but correct gaskets used with oil feed port open
        Crankcase pressure (blow-by or breather issues) yes, there is some blow by which is felt at the breather exhaust hose
        Side oil or end oil ? I am running complete S&S heads with their roller rocker arms,I think they are set to .590" lift, still using external oil feed lines to rocker boxes. The Jims powerglide lifters have oil feed ports at the lifter cups but the Jims pushrods are not drilled for oil flow thru from lifters to rocker arms

Running pushrods too loose - Jims powerglide lifters adjusted as described in installation guide using 24TPI pushrods.

Weak/broken valve springs - none
        (Chatter or bounce)

Mechanical interference - none found
        Roller to block at top of travel - checked, no contact
        Pushrod at rocker box - pushrod installed into rocker arm pocket
        Rocker arm inside pushrod - no issue
        Coil bind - cannot confirm yet but S&S heads are set up with .590" lift, I believe
        Valve seal clearance - also trusted S&S info that up to .590" lift cam should be fine
        Last edited by Guest; 03-31-2020, 11:27 AM. Reason: error in response

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Was going to suggest replacing the rollers as long as the lifter was still good in the block bores ....

But, since those are Jims "Bix Axles" they are NOT rebuildable and must replace the whole tapet ....
          Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Whoremonger
            • Jan 2014

I had a set of those. One Always Leaked down since new. Took them out and went with velva touch. Put them in ,adjust and forget about them. NEVER had one leak down on me.

Comment

• Lightning80
              • Apr 2024

Ya, with all the discussion on this site about lifters failing sure seems that Velva Touch is the way to go. One of you guys know the guy who makes these right? Does he supply matched lifter blocks as well or just the lifters? I am already .005" over on my stock block.

Dragstews - i was gonna call Jim's tech line to see if there were replacement rollers and axles available to rebuild the 2 failed roller i have but sounds like that is not am option. WTF

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

BMO Products ....

.../// http://shop.velvatouchlifters.com/ca...c?categoryId=2 \\\...

I'm a dealer for Dave ....
                Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Whoremonger
                  • Jan 2014

You get lifters,lifter blocks and push rods.ALL very high quality !

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;