X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cyclespun
    • Jun 2016

HydraGlide tube swap...1965 or so right side brake 41mm

Hey guys,

I have searched for awhile now but haven’t found exaclty what I’m looking for. If there is something on hydraglide tube swaps forgive me but was unable to find it. I have swapped tubes out before on sportys but recently picked up a hydraglide and want to know if there is anything different when swapping the tubes before hand. I want to put 6 over tubes in it and just was curious if there’s any info or a diagram on it. As well as what to look out for.

Thanks!
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

They are a little different than XL or later big twin.

Get a gasket and seal kit and be sure the paper gaskets are in place or it will leak.

The damper unit is fairly complicated and it's easy to put together wrong. There is a good chance it will be wrong when you take it apart.

A nut on the bottom releases the tube and damper assembly, and then you can deal with the seals and washers at the top of the slider.

Jim

Comment

• cyclespun
      • Jun 2016

Thanks Jim, is there any more info on how to properly assemble the damper and seals?

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

Repair manual has a good pic of the assembly. The seal and felt wiper at the top are straightforward. There are new damper assemblies available in case yours are very rusty or incomplete. The factory service manual is essential for this job.

Jim

Comment

• flatman
          • Sep 2017

Just a FYI the right side brake drum came out in 1970 and 71? I have used s starhub wheel and drum and fit to this later rightside backing plate. Was all bolt in only problem if I remember right was the tin dust shield inside? But maybe the dust shield was for mid star hubs? Dont remember been quite awhile.

Comment

• cyclespun
            • Jun 2016

Thanks flatman and thank you Jim. Good to know!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;