CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Kicker arm angle? Its supposed to be 90 degrees right? lol

I bought a "Function Formed" kicker cover with a hydraulic clutch from Baker because I wanted a hydraulic clutch on my 4-speed. I bought all the cheapo kicker cover and gears before I decided to drop $700 on the Baker, as the bike is going to be electric start, the kicker is just there as a backup.

My question is, the Baker unit came from Baker with the kicker shaft and gear installed but when I bolt it up to the transmission the kicker arm is not straight up and down like the other cover I already have, is it supposed to be?

I assume that the unit from Baker is assembled correctly but everyone makes mistakes, I think I may tear into it today and see if the shaft is timed wrong or something?

Here's what I'm dealing with, sorry about the sideways pics... I'm at work and don't have access to Imgur ><

EDIT, I fixed the pics lol... OCD ><

Jake
    Last edited by Jakerz; 03-30-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

It's alright ...

Baker located the stop pin on their kicker gear in that fashion ....

Get Adobe Flash player

Yup, that's what it looks like... that just to get the arm more out of the way or something? Its messing with my OCD hella hard lol

Last edited by Jakerz; 03-30-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    It's alright ...

Baker located the stop pin on their kicker gear in that fashion ....
    Why?

Get Adobe Flash player

Better angle to start the kick from ...

Get Adobe Flash player

Welp it's all back together now, I've just gotta get rid of Taiwan Ted's kicker arm and get something better. Probably going to order a Baker straight arm.

Jake

Get Adobe Flash player

Have ya seen "Indian Larry's" kick arm ... ??

Made from Stainless Steel ..
    Last edited by Dragstews; 03-29-2020 at 9:53 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I haven't seen that one, but the Baker one is polished stainless too and I don't think I'll need an offset arm with the exhaust I plan on running so I want to get a straight arm.

Jake

Get Adobe Flash player

nothin wrong with a stock arm (O)(o)

Get Adobe Flash player

The one I have is a V-Twin part from JP and it just looks like shit, like someone made it with a belt sander lol.

Get Adobe Flash player

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-03-30 08.46.06.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	304.5 KB 
ID:	101467

These are all Baker parts - the kicker cover is installed on a 6N4 case. If you look at a Baker repop 4 speed you'll see that the kicker arm is at 90 degrees on those as well. (Shown below.)

Name:	harely-4-speed-transmission-angle-9.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	101470

Is your transmission case a OEM HD case or a re-pop? Could you show a pic of the kicker gear stop inside the case? The kicker arm angle is determined by the stop in the case - not by the kicker cover. Maybe you have a difference in there? If it is aftermarket did your transmission come complete with kicker etc? Perhaps it is not exactly HD config so you have a mis-match? Maybe there is enough material on the stop (usually a casting web with a steel wear plate secured by two screws) to massage to get the correct angle.

It is very unusual for Baker products to be anything but 100% correct. I've used a lot of their stuff and not seen this before - it looks like your kicker gear stop is different that a Baker trans case gear stop.

I could be out in left field here but just something to check as you move forward. I know I couldn't look at that arm at that angle everyday - it screams to me "Something is not right."

Last edited by 69Glide; 03-30-2020 at 10:25 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

My case is a '77 Harley case and has the little steel stop plate that's held in with 2 countersunk screws. The difference between the cheapo replacement gear dowl and the Baker dowl looks to be about the thickness of that plate. Doesn't really make sense for Baker to make there gear different than the factory spec gear though?

I thought about taking that plate out, but I'm worried I'll screw up the case. The bike is going to be electric start anyway so the kicker is just a backup lol.

Jake

Get Adobe Flash player

The kicker arm with baker gears doesn’t sit up straight. Mines the same way. Don’t overthink it.

Get Adobe Flash player

I was thinking the same thing about removing the plate. The only force on that plate is when the kicker is at rest. You may deform the case material a little but I wouldn't be especially concerned. Worst case there is when your foot slips and the kicker returns on its own - which does happen. The alternative would be to relieve the stop pin on the gear - I'd be comfortable doing either -

Another approach would be to remove the plate - relieve the casting - reinstall the plate. Maybe fabricate a replacement plate? The original is held with two screws, maybe one would suffice. Something to think about.

Just my 2 cents....

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by gorgeous View Post
    The kicker arm with baker gears doesn’t sit up straight. Mines the same way. Don’t overthink it.

Name:	harely-4-speed-transmission-angle-9.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	101475

Get Adobe Flash player

I think he was talking about Baker gears in a Harley case vs an entire Baker trans.

I thought about milling off about 1/16" or so off the steel stop too, probably a better idea than just removing it lol

Jake

Get Adobe Flash player

Name:	Capture1.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	250.8 KB 
ID:	101476

Double click to open a bigger version - this is a page from the parts manual, it shows that HD changed the diameter of the pin for the 77 and up model years. Is there a HD date code on your trans case?

The larger HD pin is 3/8 (0.375") the smaller is 5/16 (0.3125") and the Baker pin is 0.445" - this is likely why the Baker pin is clocked differently that the stock pin on your gear. They are compensating for the larger pin diameter..

Is your kicker gear early or late, OEM or repop?

Something to ponder...
    Last edited by 69Glide; 03-30-2020 at 1:08 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yup, it says 77 and has the Torrington style needle bearings in it, the bike is a '78 FX.

Hmm, that's odd on the pin size, I don't have the gear I took out of the case, it's long gone but the one I'm comparing the Baker to is a cheapo from JP Cycles that was for that year bike. BUT the pin on that gear measures .435" lol

It works fine it just bugs me that it's not right and I paid $700 for it lol, OCD too ><

Jake

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Jakerz View Post
    Yup, it says 77 and has the Torrington style needle bearings in it, the bike is a '78 FX.

Hmm, that's odd on the pin size, I don't have the gear I took out of the case, it's long gone but the one I'm comparing the Baker to is a cheapo from JP Cycles that was for that year bike. BUT the pin on that gear measures .435" lol

It works fine it just bugs me that it's not right and I paid $700 for it lol, OCD too ><

Jake

I agree - it would bother the piss out of me..

Have you contacted Baker? I have always had good tech support from them, might be a challenge right now due to the lockdown but they may have some good input. I'm sure they want their customers to be happy.

When HD eliminated the nut on the countershaft and went to a lockplate instead (79 I believe) the kicker stop was part of the lockplate and the early stop plate and screws were removed from the case. The lockplate is part of the mainshaft ball bearing retainer in this configuration.

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	101477

Name:	Capture3.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	101478

Not sure if this helps but it does illustrate that there are various combos of parts out there - whatever the previous owner(s) put together is what you have.

Good luck with it.
    Last edited by 69Glide; 03-30-2020 at 2:24 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Ah ok, yeah that does help, mine looks like the lower one, still has the countershaft nut and the lockplate for the bearing. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they have to say, they may make more than 1 set of gears for that reason.

I think I could chuck the gear up in a 4 jaw chuck and take that pin down to the diameter of the other gear I have now and make it work. but I don't wanna rig anything if I don't have too lol

Jake

Share This