CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Can't get points within spec

So the bike is a 1980 shovel with points.
    I know I should have them set at .018 with both front and rear within .004 of each other.

I cant get that. When i set the large lobe to .018 I get .012 on the front. Nothing I do gets them within spec. Should I shave the lobe? Or is there a better solution?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal666 View Post
    I know I should have them set at .018 with both front and rear within .004 of each other.

I cant get that. When i set the large lobe to .018 I get .012 on the front. Nothing I do gets them within spec. Should I shave the lobe? Or is there a better solution?
    LOL Shave the lobe?????????? LOL

Where did you read that???????????? Why???????? Do you have dual points???????

Tell us more............

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal666 View Post

The bolt that goes through the cam and holds your weights mechanism in place will more than likely not be totally straight.
    This happens quite often with points and you might need to give it a very gentle tap to get it running as straight as possible so that the points are opening at the same gap distance on each lobe

Get Adobe Flash player

Verify that the advance mechanism is fully seated on the camshaft. No burrs, foreign material, etc and that the small alignment tab is square in the advance mechanism base. Do this before you tap on the bolt...

You can also disassemble the advance mechanism - remove springs, cam, and weights. Install just the base assembly and eyeball or rig a pointer, or even better a dial indicator and measure the run-out at the end of the advance mechanism shaft where the advance cam would ride. You need minimum run-out here. If you have a lot of run-out here then the advance mechanism is not seated squarely on the cam or something is tweaked on the advance mechanism base plate.

Tapping the bolt head is a common procedure to equalize point gap between the two lobes. Use a soft drift, aluminum or brass, and something like an 8oz. hammer and just tap it. It may take a few tries to get the point gaps equal. Within two thou is good.

Again, this is a COMMON procedure for big twins and XLs with the cone cover and points.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    Tapping the bolt head is a common procedure to equalize point gap between the two lobes. Use a soft drift, aluminum or brass, and something like an 8oz. hammer and just tap it. It may take a few tries to get the point gaps equal. Within two thou is good.

Again, this is a COMMON procedure for big twins and XLs with the cone cover and points.

Jim
    That's a good idea. I also noted the OP didn't mention if the points cam is new or not. I've seen the narrower rear cylinder lobe be worn more than the front a few times, causing the gaps to be unequal. Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by BadMonkeyMW View Post
    That's a good idea. I also noted the OP didn't mention if the points cam is new or not. I've seen the narrower rear cylinder lobe be worn more than the front a few times, causing the gaps to be unequal. Just a thought...
    This was a common procedure in any respectable Harley shop. That's where I learned it.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

The above is all very good advice.

This is a fresh build, right?
    So you are sure the cam bushing and inner cam bearing are good?

Thanks. This is the advice I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post

Jim
    Thanks. I'm gonna give this a shot

Get Adobe Flash player

From the factory service manual...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pages from 1970-72 ElectraGlide SuperGlide Service Manual.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	312.4 KB 
ID:	101370

Double click the pic for a large version...

Share This