Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • firstripholdmybeer
    • Apr 2018

Originally posted by 69Glide
    If you are setting the timing at TDC then you will not get it to run. Timing should be set at 35 Deg BEFORE TDC. Just something to double-check. Some of these motors may have different flywheels installed and different timing marks. The 35 deg advance mark should be a straight line, the off center hole is not the timing mark you should be using. Make sure that the straight line comes into the timing window before the front piston gets to TDC.

Just something to check.

Good luck with it.
    Ah ok, so many different pieces of info out there. I’ll give that a try. I just checked compression and I have 65 in the front 0 in the rear. So on to fixing that dammit!

Comment

• BadMonkeyMW
      • Jul 2010

So with almost no compression, it will definitely never start regardless of your timing. Get that sorted and see how she does. Good luck.

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by firstripholdmybeer
        Ah ok, so many different pieces of info out there. I’ll give that a try. I just checked compression and I have 65 in the front 0 in the rear.

Well damn, No wonder the fucker won't start................

Comment

• JBinNC
          • Dec 2018

Ah ok, so many different pieces of info out there. I’ll give that a try. I just checked compression and I have 65 in the front 0 in the rear. So on to fixing that dammit!
          Don't freak out over the compression just yet. I take it that this bike has been sitting for some time?

Faced with low/different compression readings, you first need to adjust the valves CORRECTLY. Then do the compression test again, with the throttle wide open of course, and note any change. Then add a little oil to each combustion chamber and do the test again, again noting any change.

Then report back, and the crew here will advise.

Jim

Comment

• JBinNC
            • Dec 2018

I've got bikes running with numbers like that. I can enlighten you, but compression tests as above first.

Jim

Comment

• 10scDust
              • Jan 2018

I want to share an experience I found today.
              I have been following this thread among others, and now experiencing a similarity, with a 1973 80" shovel I rebuilt over the winter, now weather good enough to oil & fuel it to try, only mine started and ran on only one cylinder.
              Rear cylinder running cold, has spark at plug, front and rear cylinders 80 psi compression, new cylinder/piston/rings kit, new cylinder heads, recheck valve lash and is correct on solids.
              I get to thinking that I know it is a dual fire ignition, so I swap plug wire positions on the coil, same results.
              So I change the rear plug wire, (already put another set of plugs in), get same thing, cold rear head, no v-twin cadence, wet plug & plug has spark, huh?
              So I go to the ignition module to take a look, and voila, one of the magnets in the rotor for the pick-up coil, was coming out.
              I don't know how that happened, the other one was still covered in epoxy, now this one was returned to its slot, with a minute dab of pure silicon to hold it in place, and now she runs fine.

Comment

• Sky
                • Aug 2009

I just checked compression and I have 65 in the front 0 in the rear. So on to fixing that dammit!
                Adjust pushrods and check compression again.
                If comp comes up, good. Try to start her...
                If not pull pushrods and do a "redneck leakdown"

If it's a fresh motor, might wanna re-torque the heads first

Comment

• BadMonkeyMW
                  • Jul 2010

Originally posted by JBinNC
                  I've got bikes running with numbers like that. I can enlighten you, but compression tests as above first.

Jim
                  You never got one running with 0psi compression, bub.

Comment

• JBinNC
                    • Dec 2018

Originally posted by BadMonkeyMW
                    You never got one running with 0psi compression, bub.
                    Yes, on one cylinder. Kick start too. It was a pan that had set for over 20 years. After a start and warm up, compression returned to normal (rings were stuck) and it is still running today. You need more experience.

Jim

Comment

• BadMonkeyMW
                      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by JBinNC
                      Yes, on one cylinder. Kick start too. It was a pan that had set for over 20 years. After a start and warm up, compression returned to normal (rings were stuck) and it is still running today. You need more experience.

Jim
                      I've got plenty of experience, you didn't specify you could get it going as long as one cylinder had compression. I'll agree with you on that. Plenty of different circumstances where the engine will only be running on one jug, as I know you're aware of. I was referring more to any idea of it actually running with no compression in either.

Comment

• JBinNC
                        • Dec 2018

Originally posted by BadMonkeyMW
                        I've got plenty of experience, you didn't specify you could get it going as long as one cylinder had compression. I'll agree with you on that. Plenty of different circumstances where the engine will only be running on one jug, as I know you're aware of. I was referring more to any idea of it actually running with no compression in either.
                        Yeah, I get you. The OP said he had 60 in one and 0 in the other, and I just said I could get a motor running with numbers like that. In fact that is about the situation I had to work with, within a few psi.

Jim

Comment

• nmaineron
                          • Nov 2010

I had an old slant 6 that I had to park on the flat cause if it was on a hill it would roll away in low gear and the clutch wasn't
                          slipping. High compression!

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                            • Dec 2017

I was thinkin' with that low compression, using a wheel roller to get the engine spinning faster than a kicker would help get it started...then a hill was mentioned^^^...
                            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;