Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ptownchoppers
    • Dec 2013

33.4 front end assembly

I got a 33.4 front end took it apart to clean up put new seals etc. realized there are no retaining rings and washers like on my 39mm and 41mm front ends i had done in the past. my question is on the 33.4 what holds the lower legs to the upper sliders when it is all assembled.
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by ptownchoppers
    I got a 33.4 front end took it apart to clean up put new seals etc. realized there are no retaining rings and washers like on my 39mm and 41mm front ends i had done in the past. my question is on the 33.4 what holds the lower legs to the upper sliders when it is all assembled.
    That bolt in the bottom of the leg, screws into the damper that's locked into the fork tube....
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• DoomBuggy
      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Dragstews
      That bolt in the bottom of the leg, screws into the damper that's locked into the fork tube....
      Don't forget the brass washer ( at least on the 35mm there is a washer, not sure about yours ) and if you forget to tighten that bolt up before you put the axle back in there, the forks will piss fluid all over your garage. Guess how I know....

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

If you are talking about the HD front end with the steel sliders, there is a spacer and lock ring at the bottom of the fork tube that keeps the damper assembly from sliding out. All before '70 or '71 had no seal at the top of the slider, if that is what you are getting at. The rubber bellows boot served to keep the oil in and the dirt/dust out.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Comment

• JBinNC
            • Dec 2018

Or, the really early ones were a cartridge fork - in the fifties!

Jim

Comment

• pan620
              • Feb 2013

i am helping a guy with a restoration of a 71 FX he bought new, the bushings in the sliders are so loose there is no way you keep oil in them, any parts available other than Tedd?

Comment

• tzienlee
                • Apr 2024

It's a shame it isn't a 73 Shovelhead as they fitted the newer 35mm forks with seals etc,
                a Far better fork than the 33.4 ones for sure....
                How accurately does he want the bike restored ?, ….
                if he would allow an upgrade, sell him on using slightly later 35mm ones for a better ride & oil seals & ease of getting spares etc.....
                worth an ask, if it's going to be a museum quality, nut & Bolt perfect resto,then fair enough, or if he wants a nicely brought back bike for riding he may need a better fork.....

Comment

• JBinNC
                  • Dec 2018

Originally posted by pan620
                  i am helping a guy with a restoration of a 71 FX he bought new, the bushings in the sliders are so loose there is no way you keep oil in them, any parts available other than Tedd?
                  If I remember correctly, the bushings are a standard industrial size. But, you have to be able to align ream them, or hone them. That's the rub.

Edit: Looking at my notes, a commercial bushing must be turned on its OD, and shortened if desired.

Jim
                  Last edited by JBinNC; 03-18-2020, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

I can install new bushings and hone to size if you're in need of that service ...

Comment

• pan620
                      • Feb 2013

Since he bought it new and is 99% original he wants to keep it that way, thanks for the reply's.Drag I will pass on offer for service to him.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;