CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Is this worth the trade?

What’s up, guys? I have a 2006 CBR600RR with 31,000 miles. I’m looking to trade it for a Harley that I can build a bobber from. I found a 1973 Ironhead, right side shift that I’m thinking about trading for. My bike runs great, but has cosmetic damage to the fairings. Nothing major, just a few chips and cracks. It also has an oil light that stays on, but the level and pressure is fine. Probably the sensor.

His bike can’t find first gear. No grinding when trying to get into first gear, it just won’t click down (possible cable adjustment?).

Anyways, would this be a good trade? I paid $2800 for mine and don’t have any money tied into it. Or should I just try to sell it for $3500 and find an engine and a frame and go from there?

Thanks

His bike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bobber.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	100986

My bike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mybike.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	100987
    Last edited by Superman27e; 03-17-2020 at 4:17 AM.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Talk about totally different machines!

Does the Sporty have a good title that matches the frame and engine? Or is it a mutt ( my pan is a mutt and I love it none the less ).

How mechanically inclined are you? Old Harleys tend to need a lot of care and feeding and can quickly devour your wallet if you are not!

From the one picture that is a really nice place to start, I particularly like that it is hardtailed and has a springer with disk brake up front.

Have you ridden anything like the sporty? As I said about as different of an animal as it gets, you will not be carving corners anywhere near as deep as you are used to, that's for sure.

Let us know what you do.

I like to think I am pretty mechanically inclined. I have rebuilt engines, built my own bobber, etc. I have just never dealt with a Harley bobber and am unsure of the values of older bikes. I just really enjoy the look, feel and sound of a vtwin rigid bobber and the simplicity of them. Di I mention the sound?

Also, I am 6'3 and 205lbs. I have not seen the bike in person yet, so I am not sure if the frame is stretched at all from stock, but it does have forward controls. Will that be enough to make me not look....weird on the bike?

The guy said it does not have a title, but since it is a 73, it is not required. However, it is registered in his name and fully legal.
    Last edited by Superman27e; 03-17-2020 at 6:42 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Keep your bike, why trade for a 1500 dollar shitbox.

An ironhead that needs transmission work would be worth less than a grand in my opinion. But the bike is a complete running (sort of) piece. Ironheads are notorious money pits because they were not designed to last forty years, and yet here they are. I call them maintenance prone. He'll need to kick in some coin on this deal if that XL is all he has to trade

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

6'3" on a sportster ? Save your pennys and get a big twin.
    Yes, they cost more. Better than sinking money into a bike you have already outgrown.

Unless you WANT mile-high ape bars and forward controls. The bars on it now are fairly tall and pushed forward. Might fit you.

So the values aren't even close? I know KBB has my bike around $4,500 and the ironhead around $4,000 to $5,000, but I'm not sure how the frame, springer and other mods affect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman27e View Post
    So the values aren't even close? I know KBB has my bike around $4,500 and the ironhead around $4,000 to $5,000, but I'm not sure how the frame, springer and other mods affect that.
    ALL of those valuations are laughable.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

I think at 6"3 and 205lbs you need a big twin so I'll pass on this one.
    A cone shovel would be a good choice to start with.
    If you want to know the value of your bike, put it for sale, then once it's sold you'll see what's your budget, but cone shovel aren't very pricey and easier to maintain or rebuilt I think

Get Adobe Flash player

I wish Kelly Blue Book would go away forever. Done nothing but feed every negative aspect of trading. At best it makes old farts with rusty Trail 90s think they are sitting on a gold mine, at worst it makes a trade for a ratchet Ironhead seem worth it. KBB has no place in the real world of actual value in trading - nothing but trouble.

That bike looks cool, but I think I agree with the others here that have recommended looking for a larger bike to fit you. Sportsters are for those of us who are on the smaller side of the rider spectrum Find a big twin and own it since you can! Plus, as also mentioned, Ironheads are not the best guinea pigs to sink your teeth into the world of Harley. I'm sure you could find something more solid to make a deal with.
    No title too, no matter what the guy says, it is just another reason to pass.

Get Adobe Flash player

I agree with the KBB thing, especially since I work at a dealership. I also think that at your size the sport is too small. Sell your CBR and find an evo chop or a a shovel. Be patient and something will come up, especially since you live on the mainland and can drive to other states to pick something up. I found this thing for $2500, needed a couple things here and there but it was running. It had a fender and gas tank when I bought it, I have slowly been taking things off that I didn't like about it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3271.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

What?! $2500 ?!
    Deal of the century...
    Just the magnetos are worth that!
    Congrats

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ElekVins View Post
    What?! $2500 ?!
    Deal of the century...
    Just the magnetos are worth that!
    Congrats
    Thanks, it was almost as good as the deal i got on my 63 FLH that I paid a little under $4k for. Sometimes you get lucky but a lot of the times I pay all the money like my 47 UL and EL and my others.

Get Adobe Flash player

Get an Evo big twin, preferably a Softail so you get the classic looking drivetrain (and you can hardtail it of you really want a chopper,) or something else if ya want rubber mounting but less purty. (I'm into FXRs for my main rides.) I got my good running '94 FLXR for 3500 a few years back which isn't unusual but prices IMO are gonna crash harder than after 2008 due to not-immediately-reversible economic damage.

DO NOT build from scratch! That's a gross waste of money unless you already have a pile of GOOD drivetrain parts and a titled frame.

Ironheads are fun third or fourth bikes but with the economy about to crumple like a wet paper bag there will be plenty of deals on MUCH better Harleys. I would sell your rice rocket for some capital now and keep that cash ready to pounce. I'd off it before reality sets in and used Jap prices crash. Nothing is as comforting as a handful of Dead Presidents. Nothing is as useless as a toy nobody wants to pay to play with.

I would only want an Ironhead if it was special and collectible like an XLCR, which I'd restore and park because they just looked good and are still Ironheads.

The way to score deals is with cash in hand and with the economy a smoking ruin many people will be dumping their toys. Someone will buy them so it may as well be you.

Never go shopping hungry and never marry what you can pimp. After Germany surrendered G.I.s could get a blowjob for a few cigarettes. Be the guy with a pack of smokes.

Get Adobe Flash player

I agree with Farmall. Cash will be worth it weight in rusty gold. I have been eyeballing a neighbors douchebag bike. One of those 250mm, long fork jokes. 117" S&S and title is what Im after. Chop the rest.

BTW, my father loves telling stories of his Navy days in Singapore. Amazing what a pack of smokes will get you.

Get Adobe Flash player

Ironhead Sportsters make for a terrible motorcycle.... but decent Choppers. There.... I said it.

With that said, you can get pretty much any Big Twin or an EVO Sportster which will make for a far better MOTORCYCLE and chopper to boot!

Not worth the trade.

Get Adobe Flash player

I had a 70 Sportster. What a pile of crap. Finally got it running and looking right after six months then it give me the gift of Sportster Knee. I sold it and the guy I sold it too ran it for a month and it blew up. Not sure what he did to it.

I picked up an Evo crate engine from Harley and a Paughco frame and went from there. It's a lot better. Saving my penny's for an S&S Generator Shovel now.

Get Adobe Flash player

I had a 77 XLH.... first Harley. Oh the stories.... looked great though!

The big problem (other than it being ancient, temperamental, etc), is the same time, effort, and in most cases LESS money can be put into the same era Shovelhead and it will actually retain some of its value.

The Shovelhead being a better/more reliable bike overall due to the fact that there is still good support out there for them as well as good retrofit shit to keep them in the 21st century (such as 6 speeds Hydro pushrods, etc).

The EVO Sportster night/day for obvious reasons...

NOS and GOOD quality aftermarket parts are getting real scarce for the Ironhead

NO disrespect at all to Ironhead owners. I know some DIEHARD Ironhead enthusiasts who get *mainly* nothing but smiles riding them. Thing is you need to not only be a Harley enthusiast... you need to be an IRONHEAD enthusiast to keep them going!

Side note: not sure if anyone here went to the Deadbeat Retreat event last year. The burnout pit on the trailer... yup, Shovels, FXRs, Dynas, many of which did burnouts (not that I condone this for longevity of your bike).... but the ONE Ironhead that went up to burnout.... broke.
    Last edited by garystaven88; 03-22-2020 at 1:59 PM.

I went and checked it out yesterday, and it looks great. It was built right. It fit me really well too. I got my bike at a steal, really. And the ironhead is worth more than what I bought my bike for. I’ve done a bit of research on the value of older ironheads, and it does seem to be greater than my bike. I’ve checked cycle trader, Facebook, etc and they all seem to have the same values. Idk, it seems like a fair deal to me. As I said, I am mechanically inclined and do all mechanical work myself, so I am confident I can keep it going. I’m just trying to convince myself here

Get Adobe Flash player

Well you've got a thread full of people who have already tried to convince you otherwise, lol. We mechanics are a shifty bunch - sometimes the most ill-advised projects turn into our favorites. You've gotten the advice, you've done the research; at the end of the day, it either feels right to you, or it doesn't. And if it does - go for it!

Share This