CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 1964 Triumph T120 Custom

Hey everyone this is my first post on here. Been building this bike for just about three years and wanted to share it with y'all. The bike was given to me by a family friend. I wanted to make a chopper but promised the family friend I wouldn't alter the frame and if he wanted to he could bring it back to stock one day. So this is my 1964 Triumph Boneville "custom" with a routs 750cc kit on it.I owe a lot of people thanks for this bike but mostly my good friend Wes White for letting me abuse his shop for the last three years. Any way here it is. Let me know what you guys think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0350.jpg   IMG_0348.jpg   IMG_0329.jpg   IMG_E0327.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks good. Those twisted struts lower that back end down.

How does it run with that 750 Routt kit...did you do a complete engine rebuild?

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah it got a full blown complete rebuild. Re-ground crank, new sleeves in barrel and so on. The 750 kit so far pulls pretty good. Haven’t really flogged it yet since I’m still breaking it in. I also have never road a 650 triumph so can really compare.

Get Adobe Flash player

I also have never road a 650 triumph so can really compare.
    For reference:

1965 649cc Triumph T120 Bonneville
    Road Test
    Motor Cycle Magazine
    May, 1965

https://triumphbonneville120.co.uk/1...t-may-1965.php

Get Adobe Flash player

That is a nice looking bike. Reminds me of most of the Triumphs I saw in the early 70s. Great job!

Get Adobe Flash player

It was the smart choice not to molest the frame as that era Triumph has the separate oil tank vs. the crack-prone OIF Triumphs and is much more desirable. You can always grab some OIF thing cheap to cut up (or snag one of the many abandoned chop projects out there).

Nice bike.

Get Adobe Flash player

I think the OIF's are trickier to hardtail but a lot of people do it and can look cool. A vintage Triumph has enough "cool" factor as it is.
    I'd put the shocks on the rear though.

Get Adobe Flash player

OIF can certainly be done, and it's worth keeping in mind most bikes don't turn out as nice as OPs and most chopper projects like car projects are never completed. so using the less collectible machines as a base doesn't take classics out of the motorcycle pool. Building a chopper means shitcanning quite a bit of the original machine. BTW anyone chopping an OIF should inspect the main tube for cracks near the swingarm mount. They were intended to be a (then cool) copy of the Trackmaster frame but the story of how Meriden screwed the pooch is famous. Alternate option, toss the donor engine into an aftermarket hardtail (and necks with VIN numbers have been known to migrate). Unlike HDs there was no hot Triumph market worth mentioning because outside the Britworld nobody cares.

In forums where successes are shown the usual reality of people not as determined as OP who like the idea of a vintage motorcycle (chopper or not) but aren't of the mindset to get it done is passed over because it's not interesting or exciting or inspirational. The average independent shop sees that reality (and accumulates many of the corpses, saving them for future owners).

OP should be proud of his success because he followed through and got a nice vintage motorcycle he can further refine to his preferences as he puts miles on it. It's not something everyone does or can do!
    Last edited by farmall; 10-06-2020 at 10:10 PM.

Great job.

Share This