X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lucast1996
    • May 2018

'73 Shovelhead - - First build - Help wanted -

Hey all,

Building my first bike! I grew up on dirt bikes and always wanted to build a chopper. Finally making decent money so here I am, at the start of what I hope to be a long relationship with bike building. I have been collecting parts for the past 6 months, and I'm riddled with questions... I've got the more expensive parts out of the way so I'm thinking I'm picking up steam here. It's currently happening on a table in the corner of my girlfriend and I's studio apartment, but once I've got all of my parts together, I plan to get a workspace at a buddy's shop so I can fine tune things to my liking...

Here's a pic of what I've currently got, along with a picture of what seems to be the incorrect inner primary (?) Aaaannnd here's where today's question lies. The guy I got the inner primary from thought it was for a cone shovel but the fact that my transmissions main shaft is bout 3/4ths of an inch higher than the motors, I'm thinking we were both mistaken... ((( From table top to center of motor main shaft is 9 7/16ths and to the center of trans main measures 10 3/16ths) I don't see how everything is going to fit in here. Seems like it wont be enough clearance. Maybe my ignorance is just siking me out? Seems like a legit concern though.

For context:
    I plan to run a 1.5" belt. Also, the motor and trans are from totally different bikes and years. The motor cases are 1973 and the trans is a '78, maybe that is affecting it? Was thinking that since they both came from Cone shovels they would correspond well. Transmission is a 4 speed ratchet top. My transmission plate is made by Gasbox, and it's 1/2" all the way around. Brand new. Frame is Paughco, set up for a 4 speed and big twin. Maybe the brackets that the transmission plate mounts to are to high? Again, excuse my ignorance if it actually is fine the way it is... super noob here.

Could I shave down the transmission plate a bit? It wouldn't make them both sit dead center of the primary cover, but it would do a little... Also seems like it would lessen the plates structural integrity... I'm thinking thats a dumb idea.

Any help is appreciated! School me! Nows your chance lol... Thanks ahead of time...

Attached Files
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

That happens with aftermarket parts, A LOT. You need to slot the holes in the cover so it can be rotated into position. It should not take much.

Welcome to the world of motorcycle building, where almost nothing fits! Get used to it.

Jim

Comment

• lucast1996
      • May 2018

Thanks Jim!

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Welcome to the world of motorcycle building, where almost nothing fits! Get used to it.

No truer words have ever been spoken...............

Comment

• flatman
          • Sep 2017

If its after market and chrome you almost always have to grind or weld on it. As my buddy used to say "the form is there". Also doesnt look like the hole in the primary in front is big enough. Looks like the front hole was cut out with tinsnips? Nice start you got going. Like the table in the apartment.
          Last edited by flatman; 03-08-2020, 8:14 PM.

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Describe your plan to title your motorcycle. This is absolutely key and so often overlooked we warn people to save them pain.

Describe your general level of mechanical knowledge and experience so we can tailor advice usefully. We are here to help but if we were telepathic we'd be rich. Self and wife built several bikes in our living rooms. It's quite comfortable.

Get a factory service manual and parts book. The Carl Salter site has safe pdf downloads. Become an information sponge.

Comment

• lucast1996
              • May 2018

I don't think it was cut out with snips but I'll definitely get used to making it fit! Hey, is it sketchy to grind off chrome or am I just telling myself it is?

Comment

• lucast1996
                • May 2018

Originally posted by flatman
                If its after market and chrome you almost always have to grind or weld on it. As my buddy used to say "the form is there". Also doesnt look like the hole in the primary in front is big enough. Looks like the front hole was cut out with tinsnips? Nice start you got going. Like the table in the apartment.
                I don't think it was cut out with snips but I'll definitely get used to making it fit! Hey, is it sketchy to grind off chrome or am I just telling myself it is?

Comment

• lucast1996
                  • May 2018

Originally posted by farmall
                  Describe your plan to title your motorcycle. This is absolutely key and so often overlooked we warn people to save them pain.

Describe your general level of mechanical knowledge and experience so we can tailor advice usefully. We are here to help but if we were telepathic we'd be rich. Self and wife built several bikes in our living rooms. It's quite comfortable.

Get a factory service manual and parts book. The Carl Salter site has safe pdf downloads. Become an information sponge.

My plan is to get is to title it as special construction. I've got the MSO for the frame, and it's signed over to me, I've got a bill of sale for the motor, (which was previously titled in the same state), and I'm keeping receipts for everything I can. I've got all those papers in a binder!

Mechanical knowledge: Handy with woodworking tools as my pops is a carpenter/contractor. - not sure how much thats going to help here lol - Done a bit of mig welding in school but not much more than tack welds. Other than that I take care of my own cars/trucks. With that said I'll specify I've only done things like plugs, sensors, fuses, coolant lines, radiator swaps, fluid changes, battery and alternator swaps... Basics...

The living room build is totally cozy, I'm just ready to get this thing rollin! I know I've got a ways to go but I'm pushing. Gonna need all the advice I can get. Thanks for chiming in so quick.

The Carl Salter page is amazing! Thanks for that. I got the Clymer manual hard copy a while back but this will definitely fill some gaps!

Thanks farmall

Comment

• lucast1996
                    • May 2018

Matter of fact, just found the service manual for 1970-early '78 Shovels. Looking for the parts book now. Thanks again!

Comment

• andri
                      • Mar 2012

I’m running a tin primary cover on my cone shovel. Got one inner that I tried fitting but it had too many issues with it. Ended up buying a new Paughco inner that inly needed a little massaging to be run.
                      The holes had to be slotted just a bit to get the trans shaft to be more or less centered. Also the weld around the alternator rotor needed some grinding in order to clear the belt properly.

So yeah, just be prepared to work on every fucking part you pick up.

Have you thought about picking up a titled frame or even just the neck portion of it and weld it on yours to use that registration? It would definetly make things simpler.

Comment

• pan620
                        • Feb 2013

I would shit can that inner and find a different one.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;