CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: First build

Default First build

Whatís up yíall, I got an 88 sportster in really nice shape that I want to chop up a little bit. I live up in Catskill NY and I donít know anyone whoís into choppers. everyone Iíve talked to says I should just keep it stock but fuck that! I want to chop it good damn it! Anyway, I ordered some 8+ fork tubes from TC bros and Iím just wondering if thereís anything I need to know before just slapping them suckers on there. Also if thereís any fellow chopper heads in the Hudson valley holler at your boy. Iím tired of old dudes with their baggers telling me to keep it stock! 🤬

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	937AD946-A765-4A70-A536-4AC9B3549F0D.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	100678

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

You may need longer throttle, and brake cables.

Get Adobe Flash player

It's your Scooter, if ya want to chop it ...

Get Adobe Flash player

Yep put them there 8 over tubes on there fer sure.................

You won't need anyone to tell what else you might need...... You will see it right off...............

Building is learning..............

Buy a Harley MANUAL for your year bike.... Parts and service.......... Remember google is your friend............ And learn what things are called.....

Get Adobe Flash player

Since you asked:

You need a service manual. A parts manual is handy also, as they break down assemblies and can help clarify them for you, like the forks. Google and you can find a bunch online.

Also, if you are going to modify the front end in any way, one of the most important things I did not know and would not have guessed, is the Rake and Trail relationship. IMO, you should study this and make sure you aren't building something unsafe and spending a lot of money to do so.

YouTube has videos of fork tube replacement and they are very informative. Perhaps check out a couple of those before giving it a go?

If you jack the front end up like a dirt bike, you may find you need a kickstand solution as well.

Good luck.
    Last edited by confab; 03-05-2020 at 9:57 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

rake the neck along with that weld on hardtail^^^:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ace0b520f26b9ae8843ab195a3542086.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	242.5 KB 
ID:	100702

Get Adobe Flash player

Sweet youve got the perfect bike to make a chopper .Man so its not just in Ireland that i have old fuckers on brand new bikes telling me its a shame you chopped it and diddnt keep it stock.listen mofos i like my soup with a little spice :')

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice Sporty. I'd say the only thing to keep in mind is 8+ over tubes is pretty damn excessive for a stock rake frame. Not sure of your riding style or intentions but it ain't gonna handle good unless you address the rake. On Sportsters usually the sweet spot is 4 or 6 over for a stock rake.

Things start looking goofy over that, you will need to address the jiffystand since it aint gonna properly support the bike and things start gettin squirly once you get into the 8+ range on a stock rake...
    Last edited by garystaven88; 03-06-2020 at 10:53 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Get the factory books (no substitutes!). Ebay often has the parts books cheap.

Next step, study Chop Cult and the xlforum so you know everything about your motorcycle.

Inspect the whole bike axle to axle and make sure it's ready to ride anywhere and correct any discrepancies before teardown.

Build a folder on your computer with pics of what you want your end result to look like. Decide precisely how you want to use the motorcycle then you can ensure all your mods suit what YOU will REALLY do with that bike. Take a shitload of photos when you tear down your Sporty including pics of stuff you don't think you need pics of.

Inspect the electrical system thoroughly and install a pushbutton starter solenoid end cover even if you keep the handlebar switches. Rewiring isn't difficult but study the right way first if you're not familiar. (Auto store crimp connectors are shit.)

Don't forget new fork seals and dust boots. While your front wheel is off I'd inspect the bearings (1988 was a very long time ago, I still had hair and could see my toes...) and repack them which means replacing the seals. I just say fuck it and replace the bearings while I'm in there because they're cheap. (Sportys have very few expensive parts. They're great bikes!)

The advice to hardtail and rake the frame is a very good idea if you're gonna run 8 over. You will see why. You can farm out the welding if you're not experienced. This is not a job for garbage little 120V FCAW wire welders but they can be used to tack parts so a pro can finish the job. (He'll grind out the tacks and reweld.)

There is nothing new in the chopper world so all your questions will have some or many answers. Again, have a plan. Those old dudes saw earlier generations of choppers turn out like shit because the owners never studied and threw random shit on randomly in a violent fit of ignorant randomness. You can do better so do better.

Most old time attempts at chopping were basically failed abortions. The kool survivors we see today survived because they were best-of-breed. Copy what works!

Share This