CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Removing 1973 Battery Box

I need to remove the battery box to clean up the corrosion. Can I remove it without removing the oil tank? I see 3 bolts attached to the oil tank and 1 bolt to the frame. Are there any other bolts I can't see?

Beary

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by beary58 View Post
    I need to remove the battery box to clean up the corrosion. Can I remove it without removing the oil tank? I see 3 bolts attached to the oil tank and 1 bolt to the frame. Are there any other bolts I can't see?

Beary
    Removing a battery box from a 73 WHAT????

What does the manual say??????????

Get Adobe Flash player

For us to help you, POST IN CLEAR, DETAILED ENGLISH. If you need an online translator (we get many foreign visitors) Google Translate isn't bad.

https://translate.google.com/

If your first language is something Google doesn't translate well, post CLEAR, WELL LIT photographs. We cannot be expected to make sense of gibberish.

Well, my bad. This is my first Ironhead, and I assumed all 73 Ironheads where Sportsters and have the same battery box. I look forward to learning more.

I'm not sure which 73 ironhead Sportster I have because it is a basket case. The tank and fenders look like they came from and old FX something. The handlebars are drag bars. The whole bike was painted black with a rattle can outdoors on a rainy night.

The wiring is only enough to start the engine with a push button. The headlight works but no high beam and the taillight is a few LED bulbs. Which is fine, I was planning to rewire it anyway. I look to start it and see if it runs as soon as I install a starter.

Yes, I have the manual on order, but I'm told that there isn't instructions in it for removing the battery box. So, I'm back to asking for some help. I'll figure it out, I was just curious if I had to remove the oil tank (kidney shaped side tank) as well since the battery box is attached to it.

Thanks
    B

Get Adobe Flash player

Well, my bad. This is my first Ironhead, and I assumed all 73 Ironheads where Sportsters and have the same battery box.
    Yes all Ironheads are Sportsters......... But you didn't say either in your first post......

It makes a difference which bike you have..... XL XLCH etc.......

Get Adobe Flash player

I was just curious if I had to remove the oil tank (kidney shaped side tank) as well since the battery box is attached to it.

Thanks
    B
    You shouldn't have to remove the oil tank to get the box out...... But if it's welded to it yes you will have to take them out together... People do the weirdest things through the years......

It would help us a lot if you could post pic............. If you have problems posting them get back with us and we can walk you through it......
    Last edited by Tattooo; 03-10-2020 at 12:00 PM.

With XLH style oil tank/ battery box, remove three screws holding box to oil tank, remove nuts from two Lord mounts (one may be behind the regulator), and lift box out from the left side.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    With XLH style oil tank/ battery box, remove three screws holding box to oil tank, remove nuts from two Lord mounts (one may be behind the regulator), and lift box out from the left side.

Jim
    Thanks Jim. The box is only held in place with two bolts, one Lord mount (ISO mount?) on the front of the box, and one on the oil tank. So, if the oil tank won't fall out hanging on by hoses, I think I'm good.

I can see by picture of some bikes where the regulator is mounted on the battery box, but it is mounted by the triple tree on this beast. I guess that's ok, it's close to the generator. Anyone concerted to an alternator?

All the ISO mounts (Lord mounts) are broke accept for the one on the front of the battery box. So, the oil tank and battery box are kind of floating around.

The battery box has a thin layer of rust and I want to see if I can rescue it to save $85. I'm open to suggestions. Of course, there is only the bottom part left, the rest of the box pieces that I see in pictures are missing. Such is life, but this bike is kind of turning into a blank canvas. I'm thinking restomod. LOL

What's the difference between and XL and XLCH? Kick starter? This one does not have a kick starter. Just a hole that needs to be filled with the electric starter.

B

XLH is the electric start version, some also have a kicker. The XLCH is kick only.

The Lord mounts are readily available. There should be one on the upper rear of the oil tank, and one on the tank bracket mounted to the motor that will hold the oil tank when the battery box is removed.

I am getting ready to assemble a '73 XLH, and I am going to convert it to an FXE battery, using the original battery tray, but I haven't figured out how I'm going to go about it. I convert FLs to FXE batteries regularly, so I can use readily available AGM sealed batteries instead of the old lawn tractor battery.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    XLH is the electric start version, some also have a kicker. The XLCH is kick only.

The Lord mounts are readily available. There should be one on the upper rear of the oil tank, and one on the tank bracket mounted to the motor that will hold the oil tank when the battery box is removed.

I am getting ready to assemble a '73 XLH, and I am going to convert it to an FXE battery, using the original battery tray, but I haven't figured out how I'm going to go about it. I convert FLs to FXE batteries regularly, so I can use readily available AGM sealed batteries instead of the old lawn tractor battery.

Jim
    Thanks, I went and picked up a few Lord mounts to have ready and on hand. I found the mount on the upper rear of the oil tank. That seems to be holding up everything else, so thanks.

My first thoughts on this restomod is to take some weight of the old-girl, so I've been reading about the AGM Batteries. I've messed with them for my Ultras and Road Kings, but I am very interested for this project. I like you plan and will watch your progress with the FXE mount. I'm glad to learn that the oil tank frame mount is independent of the Battery tray.

Beary

Consider the oil tank and battery box as a unit, that was the way it was designed back in the sixties, big twins and sporties. You cannot eliminate one or the other without changing the mounting system.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

If you intend to keep the electric start I would not try to use a smaller battery. The stock starters aren't very powerful and need all the help (current) they can get. I would keep the e-start. I'm going through my stroker '73 (though there's not much '73 left except basic engine castings) and it will get the Tech Cycle kit which uses the wonderful Denso OSGR starters used on later HDs. I make my own cables from light gauge welding cable (your local supplier will cut to length).

The Carl Salter site has factory manuals and parts books for free, safe download (their revenue is via captcha and I scan my downloads on my Linux box before using them anywhere else). Having the hard copy AND a .pdf is the perfect combo.

I got this as an ebook then converted to .pdf using Calibre (which is FOSS software) so I can view it anywhere. It's well worth the $8.49!

https://www.amazon.com/Donnys-Unauth.../dp/1532008090

https://calibre-ebook.com/download

If the bike doesn't have a kick starter they're not much hassle to install when rebuilding anyway but study setup carefully.

http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7 is a great Ironhead resource as is Sportsterpedia.

Great replies guys, thanks.

B

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    If you intend to keep the electric start I would not try to use a smaller battery. The stock starters aren't very powerful and need all the help (current) they can get. I would keep the e-start. I'm going through my stroker '73 (though there's not much '73 left except basic engine castings) and it will get the Tech Cycle kit which uses the wonderful Denso OSGR starters used on later HDs. I make my own cables from light gauge welding cable (your local supplier will cut to length).

The Carl Salter site has factory manuals and parts books for free, safe download (their revenue is via captcha and I scan my downloads on my Linux box before using them anywhere else). Having the hard copy AND a .pdf is the perfect combo.

I got this as an ebook then converted to .pdf using Calibre (which is FOSS software) so I can view it anywhere. It's well worth the $8.49!

https://www.amazon.com/Donnys-Unauth.../dp/1532008090

https://calibre-ebook.com/download

If the bike doesn't have a kick starter they're not much hassle to install when rebuilding anyway but study setup carefully.

http://xlforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7 is a great Ironhead resource as is Sportsterpedia.
    A FXE AGM battery will start it fine, it does so on Shovelheads and has more cca than the "lawn tractor style battery i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by pan620 View Post
    A FXE AGM battery will start it fine, it does so on Shovelheads and has more cca than the "lawn tractor style battery i believe.
    Yep.

Jim

Share This