CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default First build thread - '76 shovelhead

My shovelhead started running like a turd at the end of the fall last year and planned to just take the motor out and fix it but decided since the frame was just rattle canned to also get the frame powdercoated. Figured since it was getting powdercoated I'd move the bungs and put the tank I wanted on it. Since I was getting the frame powdercoated, new tank, motorwork done figured I just might as well at that point do the whole bike. With the help of a good friend of mine who has worked as an HD mechanic for 12 years we pulled the motor apart and found an absolute shit show. Im a welder and fabricator, with limited motor experience so please excuse if I get any of the terms wrong.

Rocker boxes had a bolt hole broken off and packed with gasket sealer, each of the heads had bad valves to the point a machine shop quoted the same price as new heads to fix it, the pistons and cylinders were already .030 over and the cylinders were worn out of spec beyond that. The previous owner had put in a mix of solid and adjustable pushrods, one of the lifter blocks was cracked at the base, and the cam was worn. So we ordered a new cam, inner cam bearing, lifter block, hydraulic lifters, adjustable pushrods, pistons and cylinders, heads, and rocker boxes and are in the process of rebuilding the motor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	100516

Fabbed up a new set of bars

Name:	0-1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	100517

Did a twisted hex sissy bar

Name:	0-3.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	100518

Name:	0-4.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	100519

Twisted hex for the headlight mount to match the sissy bar

Name:	0-5.jpg 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	100520
    Last edited by Toucan; 02-29-2020 at 8:57 AM.

Headlight mount

Name:	0-6.jpg 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	100521

Everythings at paint, powder and chrome right now and should start getting stuff back this week to start assembly.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks amazing so far! Like all the details you did. The only thing that concerns me is the head light mount. That thing is going to amplify all the vibrations in the bike, then putting the weight of a headlight right on the end is a potential recipe for it to snap off, especially at higher sustained RPM. Only speaking from experience from a few headlight mounts I’ve had that are similar geometry and broke right in half. It creates a harmonic imbalance.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Also, amazing shop you’ve got there!

Thanks! Yeah I was a bit concerned with that as well so I planned on using some rubber washers to try to dampen as much as possible and just keep an eye on it. If it cracks it cracks and I'll make something else.

Share This