Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 10scDust
    • Jan 2018

S&S oil pump on Delkron case oil lines Q

I have a Delkron Evo type case, S&S cylinders + heads, an S&S oil pump all assembled supposedly ready to run, that I picked up at an estate sale a little while back.
    I now have time to get this basket case put together to make a running bike.

Now I need some advice from knowledgeable folks willing to help me out, much appreciated.
    I am not sure where all the oil lines need to be routed to, some I believe I know, but can wait on some input here.

The oil pump appears to be S&S' HVHP pump.
    There are 2 ports on the bottom and 1 on the cover.
    On the cover I believe is where the sending unit would mount.
    The bottom 2, not in the picture, are side by side left and right of each other.
    Not too sure which one is for what.

On the engine cases there are 4.
    The 1st is the tappet screen top right in front of the lifter block.
    The 2nd is next to the oil pump top left of it.
    The 3rd is next to the lifter block near the cylinder.
    The 4th is down below the motor mount bolt, and I think this one is for the case vent line.

I've looked through the CC forum search and had some interesting reads, but cannot find this specific info.
    The same is true with YouTube and google searches.

The only other thing I wonder about, is the rocker box vents.
    I plan on hooking these up properly too, and know how that goes.
    Just not sure if the case vent would need to be plugged or not.

I added a picture of what I have.
    This will be a rear belt drive on a '91 Softail frame, I think they said the engine was 1995, but not sure.

Again, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge, thanks.
    Attached Files
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

On the bottom of the oil pump, the outboard fitting is the feed from the oil tank and the inboard one is the return, to the oil filter and back to the tank on a standard evo set-up. The hole on the face of the oil pump cover is also a feed from tank, for the set-up with oil tank below the transmission. Your choice of one of the two feeds, plug the other one.
    On the oil pump face of the case, the hole above the pump is the tank vent fitting, back to the top of the oil tank.
    On the outer corner of the case, the larger hole is for the tappet screen and hold down spring.
    The hole behind the tappet block near the cylinder is for a pressure switch for the oil lamp, or a gauge if you prefer.
    For the head vents, you can vent to the air cleaner box or (better) use the common manifold readily available, and vent through a hose to the right rear of the frame, open to the atmosphere.

Jim

Comment

• confab
      • May 2019

Just for reference..

One of the truly awesome things about the S&S website is you can download instruction sheets for all of their products right under the pics and description.

It is a very handy thing when you're contemplating a purchase or pick up something used.

Comment

• Dragstews
        • Sep 2010

What are the numbers on the pump and also the end cover .. ??
        Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• JBinNC
          • Dec 2018

There is a 1/4 NPT vent fitting on your case inboard of the oil pump, visible in your pic. You can vent it like an earlier bottom breather and plug the head vent holes, your choice. Bottom vent would be a line to the right rear of the frame, and open to the atmosphere. This is neater and cheaper than a head breather set-up and works just as well.

Jim

Comment

• 10scDust
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by JBinNC
            On the bottom of the oil pump, the outboard fitting is the feed from the oil tank and the inboard one is the return, to the oil filter and back to the tank on a standard evo set-up. The hole on the face of the oil pump cover is also a feed from tank, for the set-up with oil tank below the transmission. Your choice of one of the two feeds, plug the other one.
            On the oil pump face of the case, the hole above the pump is the tank vent fitting, back to the top of the oil tank.
            On the outer corner of the case, the larger hole is for the tappet screen and hold down spring.
            The hole behind the tappet block near the cylinder is for a pressure switch for the oil lamp, or a gauge if you prefer.
            For the head vents, you can vent to the air cleaner box or (better) use the common manifold readily available, and vent through a hose to the right rear of the frame, open to the atmosphere.

Jim
            Thanks, I kind of figured on the oil pump cover, the bottom outboard one was feed from tank, and thought the inner one on the bottom was return to tank (via cooler >filter).
            Okay on those and the one on the cover I thought was maybe for the oil sending unit.

The one on the case face above where the oil pump mounts is the case/tank vent, gotcha.

The threaded hole, next to the cylinder and rocker box, is for the oil sending unit, or gauge, got that now.

And the one down below the mount bolt, typical place for the case vent and I suspected that, thank you for all the clarification.
            I just wasn't sure about blocking any off because I noticed the heads have the breather ports for the banjo's, of which I will block, and use the one below routed toward the left rear of frame to atmosphere as you mention.

Meanwhile, I removed the oil pump and dry as a bone, no rust though.
            Upon its inspection I cannot find any numbers, only the S&S logo as seen in my pic.
            No numbers anywhere on the pump body, or its cover.

I have also removed the cam cover, cam, and lifters.
            Everything so far is in brand new condition, with barely an oil film on it, I do not believe this engine ever was ran.
            I have the lifters soaking in a small tub of oil, and plan on using plenty of assembly lube everywhere bearing surfaces can be reached.
            Since the engine is just sitting in the frame, being a Delkron with a removed bottom inspection plate, I will get to the other moving parts if I need to turn it on its side, or upside down to get start up lube to the mains and rods.

Again, thank you once again for sharing your knowledge, your next drink is on me!

Comment

• JBinNC
              • Dec 2018

One thing, you have to have a cam cover with the crankcase vent chamber provision in order to let it breathe through the bottom.

Jim

Comment

• 10scDust
                • Jan 2018

Is that the chamber below the crank case breather, where a small pipe is in there and the cam cover has a pipe that protrudes into that chamber?

Comment

• JBinNC
                  • Dec 2018

Originally posted by 10scDust
                  Is that the chamber below the crank case breather, where a small pipe is in there and the cam cover has a pipe that protrudes into that chamber?
                  Yes, the head breather HD cam covers don't meet with the wall of that chamber, and if you try to bottom breathe with one, you will have a Valdese level oil leak.

Jim

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

I will get to the other moving parts if I need to turn it on its side, or upside down to get start up lube to the mains and rods.
                    Fab a mount that bolts to a cheap Harbor Freight engine stand. It's worth it for even one build and you can spin the engine as you like. It frees bench space and is insanely convenient.

Comment

• pan620
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by confab
                      Just for reference..

One of the truly awesome things about the S&S website is you can download instruction sheets for all of their products right under the pics and description.

It is a very handy thing when you're contemplating a purchase or pick up something used.

I agree with this, why do people not talk or look online for information from the company that made the product?
                      Last edited by pan620; 02-26-2020, 6:57 AM.

Comment

• confab
                        • May 2019

Originally posted by farmall
                        Fab a mount that bolts to a cheap Harbor Freight engine stand. It's worth it for even one build and you can spin the engine as you like. It frees bench space and is insanely convenient.
                        I would assume this is a picture perfect job for that garden sprayer we were talking about..

Any reason that wouldn't work?

Comment

• confab
                          • May 2019

Originally posted by pan620
                          I agree with this, why do people not talk or look online for information from the company that made the product?
                          It is cool for other things, too. Wanna know what S&S thinks about a particular clearance, torque spec, or how they think thing should be done or assembled generally? It's right there.

I love that place.

Comment

• JBinNC
                            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by pan620
                            Sometimes it's comforting to have a little affirmation, or a second opinion if you will. I for one certainly don't mind answering technical questions about which I have experience. Some people are trying to work on old bikes by themselves with no mentors or knowledgeable help, and the innertube and these forums provide both assistance and feedback.

Jim

Comment

• farmall
                              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by confab
                              I would assume this is a picture perfect job for that garden sprayer we were talking about..

Any reason that wouldn't work?
                              It would be terrific for priming any accessible motorcycle oiling system and there are plenty of 1/8" NPT hose barbs at any hardware store if direct access to a gallery terminating in 1/8" NPT female is wanted, for example if one wanted to prime Shovel etc rocker feeds.

It holds enough to fill a system. I like the idea and there's no downside.
                              Last edited by farmall; 02-26-2020, 10:15 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;