Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rhysmort
    • May 2017

Exhaust mounting brackets - Advice

As some of you may have seen my knuck is coming along and I'm ready to mount my exhausts!

I've had very little luck on the past with using the brackets to mount effectively, they don't tighten well or they're just plain shite. I've searched online and not had any real luck. Can any of you fine gents tell me any tips/methods to mounting.

For info; my rear head pipe fits at a 45 degree angle, swings around and sits flush and snug just kissing the top of the thread for my clutch arm, one will do, but as it's a 45 degree twist, howd you best nail that down? I've got some good gauge brackets I can use for the pipes.. but how to get them to stay secure on the frame is beyond me.. I can rebuild a carb mag etc but brackets nope!!

Any advice welcome, thanks guys.

Rhys
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

I use old style mirror brackets that clamp around the frame........ They never move..............

Here's a pic.........
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tattooo; 02-23-2020, 4:00 PM.

Comment

• 47str8leg
      • Sep 2014

Depends on weather or not you want to weld clamps to the pipes and bungs in the frame or you just want to do it with external clamps.
      Bungs and tabs are a cleaner finished product but clamps allow you to not weld on your chrome or weld to your frame.

Comment

• Rhysmort
        • May 2017

Originally posted by Tattooo
        I use old style mirror brackets that clamp around the frame........ They never move..............

Here's a pic.........
        Thanks sir, I'm going to get to it tomorrow night hopefully!

Comment

• Rhysmort
          • May 2017

Originally posted by 47str8leg
          Depends on weather or not you want to weld clamps to the pipes and bungs in the frame or you just want to do it with external clamps.
          Bungs and tabs are a cleaner finished product but clamps allow you to not weld on your chrome or weld to your frame.
          This is my conundrum. I've done everything possible not to weld my lovely old frame, used prism's solo seat mount so I didn't weld it. Other option is to weld threads through my exhaust and clamp that.

Comment

• Bbqbiker
            • May 2015

My award winning Panhead had an exhaust that was less than wall-mounted so during a makeover some mounting points were marked up welded a couple of tabs on to the sissy bar and the frame and it should be tight as hell now

The frame was stripped and repainted and the sissy bar getting stripped and re-chromed after welding a couple of tabs on, wanted to do it right

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;