Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scoobydude
    • Sep 2016

Machining spool hub

I took this old spool hub off of a wheel I've been holding onto for a while to guy who does a little machining at his welding shop. I'm a very noob machinist, but it felt it hard to take when the guy said he couldn't open up the bearing hole because it was too hard. It's chrome over steel. He said it wasnt really cutting. It's a pretty worn out 36mm hole, and I was hoping to bore it to 40 to fit a standard 40mmx.75"x 12mm bearing. Can anyone chime in on this, I really wasn't looking forward to machining the axle to fit.
  • flatman
    • Sep 2017

I am no machinist. I do own a lathe. Chrome is hard to machine. You gotta sorta get under it to the copper to get it to machine properly in my case.. I personally have never had ANY luck with any carbide bit I ever machined with. Never tried the ceramics tho. Can you get in there and grind/sand it down to bare steel? It will ruin the chrome but you can heat it up to anneal it so you can machine it, but I would lay odds it the chrome fucking up your welder guy

Comment

• MOTher
      • Sep 2012

I have a tool post holder for my lathe that holds a dremmel. Often you can grind stuff that's too hard to cut, and if it's just the plating, once that's off you'd be fine.

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

A toolpost grinder would do it. Take it to a real production shop.

Consider just finding a hub that fits because many shops charge $100/hour. Is this hub something special or just a hub? Machining is fun when you own the tools but most old spool hubs were cheap and not worth any effort to preserve. If I had to bore a cheap one even thinner I'd have to really want the thing to bother.

One lesson of mechanics is don't pay to wash the shit out of toilet paper.

$79.95 might solve your problem:

Moto Iron™ Front 40 Spoke Spool Wheel Hub (3/4" Bearings) Harley Axle. #115-0029 Unique Features: CNC machined triple chrome plated hub.  3/4" ID sealed bearings for long life. Bearings are standard Harley #9267 style for easy replacement if ever required. Bearing dimensions are 52mm OD x 3/4 inch (19.05mm) ID, x 21mm

Of course then ya need a rim and spoke kit and to lace it.
        Last edited by farmall; 02-22-2020, 12:10 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;