Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AbbandonZK
    • Oct 2017

When I disconnect the ground wires from the battery and run the black lead to frame ground. The ign post on the switch beeps for continuity the lights show a voltage drop of 1.9 no beep. When the main ground is tested the L position beeps for continuity and the ign post shows a voltage drop of 1.5.

Comment

• confab
      • May 2019

Continuity between the ignition lead and ground is a problem..

I would disconnect that and trace down it.. Because a low impedance connection between that lead and ground is what is blowing your fuse.

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by AbbandonZK
        When I disconnect the ground wires from the battery and run the black lead to frame ground. The ign post on the switch beeps for continuity the lights show a voltage drop of 1.9 no beep. When the main ground is tested the L position beeps for continuity and the ign post shows a voltage drop of 1.5.
        Yep just like I said in my first post...............

Originally posted by Tattooo
        It sounds like you have a grounded hot and a very weak ground........

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by confab
          Continuity between the ignition lead and ground is a problem..

I would disconnect that and trace down it.. Because a low impedance connection between that lead and ground is what is blowing your fuse.
          Is the key switch old? They are disposable and I get about ten years use out of Drag Specialties generics. They've been known to short to ground internally.

I ohm across the disconnected switch in all positions and ohm each terminal to ground in all positions. (If it's the least bit loose I replace it. They're cheap.)

You can bypass the key switch using a jumper lead (disconnect the switch) to check each system without switch involvement.

BTW ensure the points are open when checking the circuit because they apply ground to build up power in the coil. I would disconnect everything else and ensure the ignition works by starting the engine as that's the easy way and a short to ground will prevent start.

When a test light connected from the points side of the coil to ground lights, the points are open (that's how static timing lights work).
          Last edited by farmall; 02-21-2020, 5:33 PM.

Comment

• AbbandonZK
            • Oct 2017

Thanks for the help guys it was the tachometer that was passing voltage. The light circuit read to the multimeter as a open circuit. And the hot to ground had a voltage drop of 1.9. Once I clipped it off the bike I had two separate circuits. I also discovered the headlight outer housing passing voltage thru the frame. The headlight has a blue high beam indicator light that’s unshielded.
            Last edited by AbbandonZK; 02-21-2020, 6:29 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

The headlight has a blue high beam indicator light that’s unshielded.
              How many wires on the blue light???????????

Comment

• AbbandonZK
                • Oct 2017

The blue light is actually a lens that is illuminated by a brazed light in a socket underneath it.

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

The blue light is actually a lens that is illuminated by a brazed light in a socket underneath it.
                  Yea I know what it is and how it works, I just want you to look and see how many wires are on the bottom...... One is my guess...........

My questions are to help you learn about wiring...........

Comment

• confab
                    • May 2019

Glad you got it.. I think Farmall's advice above is very good - Break those circuits up in order of importance so one failure doesn't take everything down. Lights are important too. Maybe IGN and Headlamp on their own, separate, fuses.. because they're both critical. (at least at night)

Comment

• AbbandonZK
                      • Oct 2017

The headlight indicator light has 2 wires red and black the black is linked to the headlight bulb wiring.

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

The headlight indicator light has 2 wires red and black the black is linked to the headlight bulb wiring.
                        Awesome........ That's the later setup........

You are seeing what does what getting your hands in there.............

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

I think Farmall's advice above is very good - Break those circuits up in order of importance so one failure doesn't take everything down.

That's exactly why when I wire a bike the first click of a switch ONLY the ignition works, Not even the tail/brake light comes on..............

Plus back in the day it was also nice when you were running from the cops at night........ LOL

Comment

• AbbandonZK
                            • Oct 2017

I’m considering disconnecting the indicator light on the headlight and placing a diode and 100K resistor on the tach backlight blue wire. Anyone opinion on this? It should stop the headlight outer shell from touching the frame ground and the tach light from passing voltage to the ign.

Comment

• confab
                              • May 2019

I would just take it apart and fix the problem.

We all default to what we know and what I know best is cars, so.. Being the Harley N00bie here, others may have differing views..

But, having said that and IMO, adding a unnecessary resistive load will consume more current, add heat and another point of failure, and can damage wiring depending on how it is sized. Most little diodes are in place around things like relays and solenoids, and they're there to spin out voltage transients you don't want dumped back into the controller that operates them. Yeah, they're a "check valve" for electricity. That's true.. But they aren't really supposed to correct a dead shorting condition.

That headlight housing, especially, should be an easy fix. I dunno what your tach is like, but I couldn't imagine it is much more difficult.

Good luck!

Last edited by confab; 02-22-2020, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• confab
                                • May 2019

PS: All you really need to do here is go in, look and make sure the current is running through the load first (a bulb in this case) and then going to a good ground. Somewhere is it not and that is the problem. And it is probably a shitty bulb socket or something like that.

And that should fix you right up.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;