Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScarTissue
    • Apr 2024

Originally posted by farmall
    They are currently in style due to the general disappearance of the kickstarter and that most modern riders grew up with them
    but that doesn't make them a wise choice.
    But it makes them a trendy choice, and hey, isn't that what matters most?

Comment

• SuperP
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by ScarTissue
      I see dudes wearing Chucks or Vans on their old ironheads or shovels whatever and I wonder how they kick their bikes over with those thin soles and no ankle support.
      I wear Adidas sneakers most of the time. My bike kicks pretty easy. My deal is the foot clutch. I can feel it much better with the thin soled shoes. I switch them out though, A few types of old leather Army boots (tanker boots, jump boots)

Comment

• Grantman
        • Aug 2012

Back in the 80's we were running down the I-10 in LA blasting along at about 65-70 (must have been about 30 of us and the mandatory bs speed limit everywhere back then was 55). Came around to a total stoppage of traffic and the kid in front (wearing sneakers) laid his bike down. He ground his foot down so bad and screamed so loud until the ambulance hauled him away I just refuse to ride without sturdy leather boots ever since. He never rode again as far as I know. I'm lucky I have a great job that buys me a new pair of Redwings every year so if you're near Bakersfield, CA and you need a pair of size 10 1/2 D model 2254 that are made in the USA hit me up and I'll kick you down a pair that are only a year old (these things seem to last forever). It kills me when I see you young guys riding in Chucks or even loafers or god forbid flip flops.
        Last edited by Grantman; 07-06-2014, 7:24 PM. Reason: looked weird

Comment

• ContractKiller
          • Feb 2012

I'm guilty, I wear my DCs or Chucks most days. I'm sure I'll regret it if I ever go down and have my bike grinding my leg into the pavement. I will say though, my favorite boots were my Bates Ultralite duty boots. They weighed about as much as a pair of sneakers and comfy as fuck. I wore them for four or five years before the soles started separating from the uppers.

Comment

• Clockwork444
            • Dec 2013

i have two buddies that refuse to ride in anything but flip flops when its nice out. shit bugs the hell out of me. i saw the video of the girl on a crotch rocket that went down at 20mph and scraped her foot down to the bone, long before i rode on the street. i always at least wear something. every time i put my chucks or vans on i think about how little they will do for me....... boots are just a good idea.

Comment

• ScarTissue
              • Apr 2024

Originally posted by ContractKiller
              I'm guilty, I wear my DCs or Chucks most days. I'm sure I'll regret it if I ever go down and have my bike grinding my leg into the pavement. I will say though, my favorite boots were my Bates Ultralite duty boots. They weighed about as much as a pair of sneakers and comfy as fuck. I wore them for four or five years before the soles started separating from the uppers.
              Believe me, I am guilty too. I rock my Sperry's (!) sometimes and Chucks and whatever, but just with my new-ish electric start bike. I guess all the dudes who are tough enough to survive kickback on an Ironhead in sneakers can wear whatever the hell they want and be fine.

Comment

• Haze
                • Aug 2013

I'll chime in I guess....

I didn't read all of this thread, so something similar may have already been said but...

I think it's pretty stupid to ride without something pretty protective on your feet. Unless you're in a wheelchair, you really need your feet, and it's the only part of your body (hopefully) that touches the ground each time you ride. I always wear leather boots when riding, and like to wear steel toes. My latest, and favorite riding boots are Ariat work boots with square-steel toe and Doc Martin soles. Supper comfortable and protective.

I talk all that BS about safety and I rarely wear a helmet. So fuck me, right? ... but I guess my thinking is if I go down soft, which happens from time to time... I don't want my feet fucked up... but if I go down hard and hit my head... I don't mind not living through it because I don't want to be crippled. Just my feelings.

Comment

• ContractKiller
                  • Feb 2012

I have no doubt it's smarter to wear good boots. But it's also smarter to wear a full face helmet, full leathers, maybe even an armadillo and elbow/knee pads. Or better yet to not ride at all. You have to admit, it's funny when a guy says another guy is stupid for not wearing boots, while they themselves are just wearing jeans and a wife beater, and no helmet.

That said, I actually am looking into getting a good pair of boots myself.

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

I wear boots nearly all the time I'm outside my home. The gearhead world is a bad place for unprotected feet and the free leg exercise is a bonus.

if I go down hard and hit my head... I don't mind not living through it because I don't want to be crippled.
                    Better hit just right because a faceplant can certainly be survived, as can a glancing blow sufficient to cause TBI with all its spectacularly nasty outcomes.

You can always kill yourself if crippled unless you are paralyzed, but if you get potatoed by brain damage you are fucked. (BTW a living will specifying what measures you do or do not want taken if you are FUBAR is wise for everyone so their wishes may be carried out when they cannot speak for themselves.)

Comment

• ContractKiller
                      • Feb 2012

I wanted my living will to specifically state that should I ever become vegetative, paralyzed, or otherwise profoundly impaired, I would be put out of my misery. But apparently that sort of thing is frowned upon so I have a DNR instead.

Comment

• Arsenal
                        • Apr 2013

My boot collection looks like this. Aside from these two, I do just about everything in a pair of vans. I think I'd like to get a softer pair of boots that I could appreciate in a more urban environment though.
                        Edit: Holy shit, thats a big boot.

Last edited by Arsenal; 07-08-2014, 3:37 AM. Reason: Size matters...

Comment

• mxmegastore01
                          • Oct 2021

I have two pairs of boots now Alpinestars SMX-6 V2 and the second one is Alpinestars Toucan Gore-Tex.
                          I love both boots because they are very comfortable and stylish. I think I bought it approx 9 to 10 months ago but its looks like brand new till now. I recommend you both boots because they are made for long-lasting and the best for riding.

Comment

• StuJ66
                            • Aug 2016

This has been very enlightening. I thought that if your boots didn't have an HD emblem on them, you would break your ankles the first time you stood your bike up.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;