Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WannaBeFabrication
    • Mar 2015

Dream Build: 1980 XS650

Ok, maybe not THE dream build but I've always had a fancy for building an XS for some reason. So I woke up from work one afternoon (I work nights) and the Ol' Lady comes in the room and says, "Take a look at what I sent you and tell me your honest opinion." and there it was. A Facebook Marketplace link of a "1979 XS650 Project" in all its glory. so I immediately said "yup" before even clicking the link. After giving it a look over, it was listed as a 1979 but turned out to be an '80 (TDI ignition) with a David Bird hardtail already installed. Me being a welder, I am always kind of wary when it comes to already hard tailed bikes and didn't have real high expectations when I asked who did the hardtail and the seller said "I did". Anyway, I set up a time to go take a look and as soon as we pulled into the driveway, I knew this kid was legit and had an idea of what he was doing. So the bike was a full roller with the motor in the frame along with a 2 or 3 boxes of parts that he said "Everything should be there to finish it." Yea, everyone says that. So I talked him down on price as one does and took it home. Couple days go by and I finally get a chance to go over the whole thing and the box of toys that came with it. I was delighted to find that he was mostly right, but a few things were missing from the "Everything There" box. He already had the HHB PMA system installed, but in the box I found a brand new PAMCO ignition as well as a Sparx Cap which was perfect because that's the route I planned on heading down anyway. I was unaware that the '80 was a TDI ignition system so I'm currently hunting down the advance rod and governor timing plate. Anyway, that's where I'm at right now. I did drill out the HHB solid riser bushing to accept a 1/2 bolt and cut up some extra Harley risers I had laying around. Wiring is about the only thing I can currently do, then I'll make a pair of bars for it. I've got some plans in my head and can't wait to get this thing sitting how I imagine and riding this thing down the road. Heres a picture dump of when I first got her home and me playing with handlebar and fender mock up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6041.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	1346398

Name:	IMG_6044.jpg
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	1346399

Name:	fatbob fender.jpg
Size:	305.1 KB
ID:	1346400

Name:	IMG_6064.jpg
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	1346401
    Attached Files
    Last edited by WannaBeFabrication; 02-22-2020, 9:47 AM.
  • thelowlife
    • Dec 2010

Great start already!! looking forward to seeing this thing progress

Comment

• thelowlife
      • Dec 2010

Also.. that thing is LOW!!!

Doesn't look like the tradition lines of a TC Bros hardtail either.. looks modified for sure. I like it better then the TC.

Cool short chop.

Comment

• WannaBeFabrication
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by thelowlife
        Also.. that thing is LOW!!!

Doesn't look like the tradition lines of a TC Bros hardtail either.. looks modified for sure. I like it better then the TC.

Cool short chop.
        Yea it’s a 3 inch drop with zero stretch. I’m trying to source an 18” rear wheel with a disc brake and probably just lacing a 21” to the front hub along with +6 tubes. That should raise it up a bit.

Comment

• thelowlife
          • Dec 2010

I like it as is!!

Maybe put the 21 up front and the 18 with a disc but I love how low it is

Comment

• Hatchet54
            • Sep 2012

That blue fender kicks ass!

J E A L O U S

Comment

• WannaBeFabrication
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Hatchet54
              That blue fender kicks ass!

J E A L O U S
              Yea I scored it from a swap meet. Dude just gave it to me but I don’t think it fits this build. I’ll find something to put it on.

Comment

• WannaBeFabrication
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by thelowlife
                I like it as is!!

Maybe put the 21 up front and the 18 with a disc but I love how low it is
                Yea I’m all for low bikes but I love leaning in some twistys too. My buddy actually went down and snapped his leg because his frame was too low so I’m not trying to do that

Comment

• thelowlife
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by WannaBeFabrication
                  Yea I scored it from a swap meet. Dude just gave it to me but I don’t think it fits this build. I’ll find something to put it on.
                  Yeah agreed different fender on it

Comment

• WannaBeFabrication
                    • Mar 2015

Had a few minutes to get back out in the shop today. Made a quick run to the hardware store and picked up a bolt to mount my Capacitor, a bunch of electrical connections, and some other random shit. Found out one of my buddy's has a little XS650 graveyard so he found me an Advance Rod and all the other shit I need to make a spark, along with a few extra points sets just incase I fry the PAMCO and I ordered the bushings that go inside the cam cavity. All that should be here tomorrow. Got all the wiring mocked up and I'll be starting the long, painstaking process of soldering and heat shrinking all that wiring before my buddy shows up with the advance rod and such. Fingers crossed I get some spark and don't blow anything up. Also, got the fencer mount bent and cut, going to weld that up tomorrow as well. Here's a little ass shot of the fender I'm going to use. And I think I'm going to go with a Black and Purple color scheme, but we'll see.

Name:	60350351254__1DE6B9A4-FA1A-429E-B54C-BB4B4E5DFBEC.jpg
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	1315905
                    Last edited by WannaBeFabrication; 02-21-2020, 6:11 PM.

Comment

• WannaBeFabrication
                      • Mar 2015

Also, The hardtail isn't TCBros like I thought. It's actually a David Bird.

Comment

• BrokeAss
                        • Jan 2020

Cool bike, digging the ribbed rear fender, nice choice.

Comment

• TheMainMuel
                          • Oct 2010

Rad score man. Should turn out killer with what you have planned.

Comment

• WannaBeFabrication
                            • Mar 2015

I’m about to have a full day out in the garage and hopefully my buddy will be here this afternoon with the advance rod. If not, I gotta drive up to philly to pick it up which isn’t too far, just an hour or so drive I really don’t want to make. Fingers crossed I get some fire breathing into this thing.

Comment

• WannaBeFabrication
                              • Mar 2015

Got everything wired up and had to make my way up to philly and back but didn’t make it to the hardware in time to grab 1 self tapping screw for the ground of my cap and rectifier... one self tapping screw... Did end up taking the carbs off, found out they’re Mikuni’s and the rubber cap on the low jet fell off into the float bowl. But that’s a fun project for another day.
                              Last edited by WannaBeFabrication; 02-23-2020, 5:35 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;