Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rhysmort
    • May 2017

41 el

So, as most of you probably don't know I've always been chasing a knuckle. Ever since I started riding old bikes I wanted a knuckle. This wasn't obtainable with the costs here in the UK, for me anyway, I mean it's a lot of money to drop for anybody, but here in the UK I only know of a very few people who have one.

I had the opportunity to get my hands on a 41EL, engine is rebuilt, frame is mint OEM and a springer. It arrived last Tuesday and I've been beavering away on it ever since.

Frame was raw metal and rusty, dressed a lot of the bronze and some joints down as they must have not cared about expense and just thrown it on there haha.

Dressed, tidied, zinc primer, better quality primer, 5 coats of black.

I'll add a few photos to this as I go along, I've kind of documented it, but with a little help I've put a lot of it together ready to final tighten etc since Thursday night.

Works to be done; Genny install, Sissy bar mount needs moving, exhausts, front end, wiring, mag needs a little work.

All of the above minus the mag is due to waiting on parts!

Thank you,

• Rhysmort
    • May 2017

Done some more to her today.

I forgot how much I loathe getting fenders to fit, sit flush, sit centrally and just be a ball ache. Got my P pad bolted down. Sissy cross brace needs a little work to make her fit.

I gave the pipes a try on too.. very happy with them! all 60's survivor stuff.

Rhys

Comment

• Rhysmort
      • May 2017

Have exams this week so a little slow on the old uptake. I'm waiting on small parts now like bearing races, oil couplings etc, so can't make any more progress. Have a few little bits to put right, move the petcock as it doesn't fit with the engine top mount, braise a little hole in my rear pipe where somebody in the 60's held it tight with a spring. P-pad needs a little jigging.

Timed the mag last night and had to go through the gruelling procedure of doing a tooth a time, with the reg boss in place it's literally one tooth that allows it to fit @ 45 degrees.

Put the front end on to see what it's going to look like, also pic of my tank art!

Rhys

Comment

• confab
        • May 2019

I like 'em both..

very cool.

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Congrats on scoring what you wanted.

Tidy build too!

Comment

• Rhysmort
            • May 2017

Thanks both,

The sissy and exhausts are both Cali specials from the golden era! very old but so well made. Better than most of the rubbish you find these days. The sissy is OG chrome and it's in better shape than some stuff I've had a year.. haha! Should have her running in a few weeks!

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Dang ... There's a lot of Knucks showing up on the forum these days ... !!
              (Keep em alive)

Last edited by Dragstews; 02-18-2020, 4:45 PM.
              Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• 47str8leg
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Rhysmort
                Have exams this week so a little slow on the old uptake. I'm waiting on small parts now like bearing races, oil couplings etc, so can't make any more progress. Have a few little bits to put right, move the petcock as it doesn't fit with the engine top mount, braise a little hole in my rear pipe where somebody in the 60's held it tight with a spring. P-pad needs a little jigging.

Timed the mag last night and had to go through the gruelling procedure of doing a tooth a time, with the reg boss in place it's literally one tooth that allows it to fit @ 45 degrees.

Put the front end on to see what it's going to look like, also pic of my tank art!

Rhys

Is that a Hap Jones Wassell tank ?

Comment

• Rhysmort
                  • May 2017

Originally posted by Dragstews
                  Dang ... There's a lot of Knucks showing up on the forum these days ... !!
                  (Keep em alive)

Keeping my UL company :]

Comment

• Rhysmort
                    • May 2017

Originally posted by 47str8leg
                    Is that a Hap Jones Wassell tank ?
                    It certainly is! bought if from Tim O'Keefe who runs stag mag. Been on a wall in Texas for a while I think. I didn't strip the paint on it, just had it painted on and clear coated it. Rust, chips and all!

Comment

• Davestune
                      • May 2014

nice Knuckle, that frame is real nice, build that chop and start collecting for your stock bike down the raoD , if the numbers are correct.
                      looks real nice

Comment

• 47str8leg
                        • Sep 2014

It certainly is! bought if from Tim O'Keefe who runs stag mag. Been on a wall in Texas for a while I think. I didn't strip the paint on it, just had it painted on and clear coated it. Rust, chips and all!
                        Then your rear two holes become your crossover line, the front carb side gets blocked off and your front primary side gets your 90 degree petcock.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8631.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	1315856

Comment

• 47str8leg
                          • Sep 2014

Then your rear two holes become your crossover line, the front carb side gets blocked off and your front primary side gets your 90 degree petcock.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8631.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	1315856

Comment

• Rhysmort
                            • May 2017

47, funny you mention this!

I tapped the rear back left side hole to 1/4 NPT to take my petcock, to find out it doesn't fit. I have a funky spangled Prism but won't fit!! pain in the ass but it'll get sorted!

Comment

• Rhysmort
                              • May 2017

Not much of an update, the sissy bar, wasn't meant for a 19" wheel, so spent more hours than should have been needed cutting a section from the cross brace, heating, bending the metal remaining, cutting and bending a piece to weld on top, dressing it, to clear tyre etc etc! Front wheel also turned up, it's a WW1 Jones rim, in very good condition! purchased it from Guy of greasy kulture. Going to look great on the bike!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;