Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackCloudSalvage
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by 70fatster
    That dog has been beat! And so has the female portion. The flat surface on them is actually angled to pull the gears together tighter under load, and when you count both sides you are missing a lot of that surface. To me the drum groove looks fine, I believe there should be some slop there to allow the fork to float in the the gear groove and not drag when the gears are pulled together. The fork is toast in my opinion, it should be shiny where the gear rides, but shouldn't be cut into like yours is.
    I wonder if it ran low on oil. I bet that gear with the bad dogs wobbles on its shaft also, not good.
    I was wondering if they pulled closer together while running. That makes sense. Thanks for that info. Hopefully this new setup should do it. Now I have an extra trans for parts or I really like the idea of using it as an educational model. I enjoyed learning a little about these transmissions.

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• 70fatster
        • Jan 2013

I'm not too quick to catch on, but always trying to learn more. I am assuming you are showing that the drum groove in question looks about the same as the ones you have and is not worn out of spec?
        Or I need some new glasses?
        I've rebuilt a few sportster four speeds that had problems holding in gear, it doesn't take much wear to have an effect. A couple times it was like " I don't really see any one particular problem, but these parts are worn so I'll try that" followed by the amazement that the problem was resolved.

Comment

• brooklynbomber
          • Sep 2011

96+ sporty transmissions (and beull’s too) have problematic dog wear in 1st gear. I had an 01 that would slip out of 1st like someone pulled the clutch in and then would re engage. it’s fairly well documented on forums. I never tore into mine, I sold it soon after. I also read that it would slowly progress into others if left unchecked. I had an 02 that was trashed from the get go and it would slip in 1st/3rd under full load and that was very disrupting, ended up replacing the entire trans.

I now own a 95 for that very reason. Not that it can’t happen on the earlier ones, but supposedly, they changed the design or material, to some extent and became a more common problem

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
            • Jan 2015

Well, the new (used) transmission works great. No worn gears will do the trick. I'm actually kind of proud to have dug in and got to the root of the problem. I actually talked to the guy who built the bike (it's a rigid frame mild custom build, will post pics soon), and he said his wife road the bike like that for a year, then it went to another guy who dealt with it, and then one more who was saying it shifted weird and finally it ended up in the right hands of someone who wouldn't dare pass it on like that. Couple folks did some clutch swaps/adjustments etc but nobody braved to go into the cave. I'm glad I did. It's a cool bike, and now much cooler since it doesn't skip and lurch. Thank you all for your help.

Comment

• Kevin121
              • Dec 2021

Originally posted by BlackCloudSalvage
              Well, the new (used) transmission works great. No worn gears will do the trick. I'm actually kind of proud to have dug in and got to the root of the problem. I actually talked to the guy who built the bike (it's a rigid frame mild custom build, will post pics soon), and he said his wife road the bike like that for a year, then it went to another guy who dealt with it, and then one more who was saying it shifted weird and finally it ended up in the right hands of someone who wouldn't dare pass it on like that. Couple folks did some clutch swaps/adjustments etc but nobody braved to go into the cave. I'm glad I did. It's a cool bike, and now much cooler since it doesn't skip and lurch. Thank you all for your help.
              Thanks for the information! Nowadays it is quite hard to find reliable people who really want to help you, but not only your money. I wanted just a good ebike for my kid, and everybody was recommending me different types of models, and I couldn't decide. I don't know how I found this site https://simplebikeinsurance.com/best-electric-bikes-for-kids-this-summer/ but it helped me a lot in choosing the ebike (I bought the Pedego Element). However, always check twice before buying something or someone's services.
              Last edited by Kevin121; 12-19-2021, 6:43 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;