CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 39mm Dyna fork lower questions

The 1988 sporty chop saga continues.

So i picked up some mullins narrow trees for the project. I found some 2003 Dyna Wide Glide fork lowers on ebay for $50. I snatched them up and had a friend shave the pesky tabs that we wont be needing. Located some 8+ over tubes that TC bros has for a lot less than franks.

Cruising thru J&P cycles for the damper and misc equipment i find that the damper rods that fit 2003 low riders dont fit 2003 wide glides... Infact, J&P cycles doesnt have any damper rods for dyna wide glides...

I was under the impression that the 39mm dyna and sporty was exactly the same. I never had a dyna so hopefully yall can help.

These lowers are from a 2003 FXDWG (i suppose dyna wide glide). where can i get a damper rods that will work with these lowers?

There is also a channel near the top of the lowers. What is that for?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200212_170153266.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	294.4 KB 
ID:	100130

Name:	IMG_20200212_170145973.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	292.2 KB 
ID:	100131

Get Adobe Flash player

FXDWG have 41mm forks not 39mm. They are not interchangeable in anyway

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSheds View Post
    FXDWG have 41mm forks not 39mm. They are not interchangeable in anyway

God damn it, it was advertised 2003 dyna 39mm... When i asked the seller today what model because having trouble locating parts, he said fxdwg... fml

Get Adobe Flash player

So I should tell him hes a fucking idiot?

Name:	forks.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	100134

Name:	comp.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	100135

Get Adobe Flash player

Just research everything based on Sporty forks. http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/techtalk:evo:susp01

It's probably cheaper to get a set of 39mm Sporty forks for everything but the fork tubes and Ebay the leftovers than piecing shit together but with part number list open in one tab and Ebay open in another tab you'll be able to compare and know.

One way to avoid "impressions" is what I do, "obsessive research"! Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.
    I study and don't rely on Ebay sellers. It's MY duty to study my ass off.

You can use Ronnie's or Surdyke online parts listings to view exploded drawings (which are not really copy-protected, that's impossible) and save those along with part number info for reference.

The channel on the slider is for the rubber dust cover to grip. Of course fork boots grip those too.

Get Adobe Flash player

I believe the Mullins trees were available in 39 and 41 mm. Which ones do you have?

If the eBay seller listed 41mm lowers as 39mm, his mistake.

The rib at the top is for a rubber dust boot.

Get Adobe Flash player

What front wheel do you plan on using? What axle diameter? (Refer to Sportsterpedia for appropriate sliders.)
    So I should tell him hes a fucking idiot?
    No but I'd ask about a return (if you haven't modified the parts) since he misrepresented his offering . Either way you learned something. That something is know more about what you're looking for than the person selling it. Now you'll probably never make that mistake again so you'll save more than it cost.

If I needed single disc sliders/damper rods/internal hardware (see factory parts catalog for numbers) but not tubes I'd buy a couple of assemblies with mildly bent fork tubes. That would get me all the pieces in a convenient package.

Example link only, make SURE you get sliders which fit the axle you intend to use:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davi...sAAOSwFOldr2MF

EDIT: MEASURE THE BORE OF YOUR FORK SLIDERS. I can't see shit from that tiny pic and I'm on a nice 4K monitor. Is there a part number?

There are multiple Dyna listings with narrow glide forks. https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.../showmodel.asp

You can tell among the 2003 models by Googling (or compare to parts book if the drawing isn't instantly obvious to you) the fork seal part number which is 45378-87 which is a 39mm part. Also the trees were obvious but I always double check because that's my rule and it pays off.
    Last edited by farmall; 02-12-2020 at 7:45 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah, already hacked the lowers and shaved em up. He seems to run a parts business so hopefully bitching will get me somewhere since he clearly didnt know either.

I have the mullins super narrow 39mm trees... looks like the 41 super narrow are no longer available. I have the 39mm front end for the sporty still. Was just going to build up this set separate and then do a one for one swap on the roller... The wheel im running in a spool 21" with no brake option. I have the axle (came with trees), just need spacers, which I was going to have done after tubes came together.

Glad i didn't break my pretzel ordering a bunch of stuff just to find out this come assembly... Hopefully this guy will refund me or send me a set or something... Not a whole lot of scratch invested but 2 steps forward one step back type of deal right now.

You guys are awesome, thanks for the help!
    Last edited by tomiles; 02-12-2020 at 7:38 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Check the edit on my previous post.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Check the edit on my previous post.
    Yeah man, i dont know why the pictures come in so small. I just press the insert image function and select the photo and get a little HTML tag in the body of the message.

If yall know someone in the market for some really slick 41mm fork lowers shaved by Prism Motorcycles here in Charlotte NC. Give me a holler. These are pretty much useless to me as I bet the seller is going to argue since I've changed them i can go eat a box of nerds out a stripper's butthole.

Get Adobe Flash player

You could just Ebay them for more than you paid though that wouldn't cover the shaving. Lots of builders don't even know how to get forks shaved.
    Being near Charlotte that stuff should be easy to sell. (I've been going to the CBA swap meet as a customer since the 1980s.)

Alternate option, see if Prism will take 'em in trade or partial trade for shaving your 39mm sliders.

Share This