Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hatchet54
    • Sep 2012

New opinions on fuel lines

I've been making a lot of vague threads here lately. Been a slow winter and I'm spending more time than usual thinking about better ways to do simple shit.

I've gone through a bunch of phases with fuel lines over the years. I used to use the vinyl medical/food prep clear stuff, then I was all about the reinforced black auto rubber, then I was on Tygon. Well, now lately I've heard unsettling accounts that the Ethanol overlords are beginning to overtake planet Tygon. Which leaves...what, exactly?

Had a guy make mention of marine fuel line for sppedboats, but didn't look into it much. I did find this stuff on ADVrider, but who knows...
    Made of sturdy, ester-based polyurethane, this tubing is ideal for pneumatic lines as well as fuel and lubricant lines. It is also suitab...

I like my fuel line thin and flexible to account for my often wonky setups. I also like it transparent when possible, but in the end that doesn't really matter.

So what are everyone's thoughts? I'm sick of replacing split and brittle crap every season.
  • tzienlee
    • Apr 2024

Hi Hatchet54,
    like you I have gone through all sorts of fuel line from clear to black braided, reinforced, solid copper but most today rots with the Alcahol that they fill our gas with, last year I bought myself a new Lectron and wanted a fuel line that didn't rot and found this, polyurethane, it is thin walled, a little stiffer than I had thought of using but it fitted great, followed the route I wanted it to take between the cylinders without touching and it looks smart. available in various colours including clear. it is on the face of it quite hard but a little heat from a heat gun & it fitted a stock Harley tap and the Carb spigot & fuel filter, I used small spring clips to hold it on but to be honest it didn't need them once on, I'm in England but it must be available State Side but this is the ebay page showing the colours & sizes.. not a great picture but you can see the feed pipe & clips I used

Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 02-11-2020, 5:22 AM.

Comment

• flatman
      • Sep 2017

Check belmetric site , they got mostly black stuff but have quite a selection for fuel injection and pressure and such. I found it while trying to get that texture stuff they used to use on volkswagons similar to british bike stuff Only problem is shits in mm.

Comment

• DustyDave
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Nickel Copper seems to be the latest greatest if you don't want rubber or plastic. Almost as strong as steel but as formable as copper.
        Dusty
        Driving that train, high on cocaine
        Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
        Trouble ahead, trouble behind
        And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Automotive fuel injection hose (I use Gates Barricade most of the time) works fine for gasoline, pure methanol, blends and oil. Ebay prices for cut lengths usually beat the auto store. When in doubt, copy auto fuel systems where the ethanol issue was solved long ago. "Fuel injection" style hose clamps work well to and are designed for high pressure.

It's really easy to find out what a hose (lines are hard, hoses are soft) is rated for by going to the makers website. Why wonder when you can know?

This is the style: https://www.autozone.com/collision-b...ems/347131_0_0

Marine fuel line is rated per SAE J1527 Style R1 Class 1 and USCG Type A and B standards.

This Gates page shows their different hoses including some rated for submersion. https://unchain.gates.com/us/en/flui...ine-hose/c/201

If using polyurethane check with the maker to ensure it's rated for fuel because there are a variety of polyurethanes.
          Example: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...4091&catid=865

The nice thing about carbed motorcycles is you can see all the fuel plumbing at a glance so if your hose doesn't work out you won't be surprised. Poly failure on ultralight aircraft example: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/comm...our-day.61606/ Tygon of course requires periodic replacement too.

For giggles I looked at what the RC folks use because their fuels often contain nitromethane. Note the brand preferences as generic names don't mean all hose is created equal: https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85642
          Last edited by farmall; 02-14-2020, 2:38 AM.

Comment

• Hatchet54
            • Sep 2012

The Polyurethane is what I want, but I'm having trust issues with how it will hold up. Most of the manufacturers I have researched seem a little vague, and user anecdotes are a mixed bag. For now, I'm going to go with the Gates injection stuff. Not ideal for the setup I wanted to do but I'd rather not be paranoid about it.

Now does anyone have specific opinions about inline filters? I've been using the cheap lawn mower ones...

Comment

• tzienlee
              • Apr 2024

I have had the polyurethane on mine now for about a year & no problems at all, it is still like brand new, if you are not too sure about it, buy a small length, it's only penny's, & leave a piece in a jar of Gas for a few weeks & another piece in a jar of Alcohol & check it out for durability in both liquids ,... I think it's great, but as with anything new to a use, I don't blame you for being cautious, when buying make sure it's the type that is advertised for oil & fuel use, that's the type I used........

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

If a filter traps everything that can clog the smallest orifice in a carb it did its job. Carbs work like toilets, float and all. Carbs are crude which is a very good thing. If one turns out to be restrictive, change to something different but if your float bowl stays full life is good. (Some folks view fuel height with a clear tube plumbed to a drain plug but I've no reason to do that yet.)

EFI is a lot more picky and if you clog your injector screen it's frequently fucked, but clogged injectors got me a deal on my last truck so if buying that can be your friend.

Comment

• Hatchet54
                  • Sep 2012

You're absolutely right, it's not like I can't afford to do both and just see what happens (using my lawn mower filters to boot). So I'm ordering some of this too: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polyurethan...r=424661763457

Whenever I actually get the go-ahead to take a real road trip I will bring both types with me and I will post my "findings"

Comment

• 47str8leg
                    • Sep 2014

I don't know what kind of gas you guys are using but I've had the same black rubber hose I got from the auto parts store for 17 years now on my shovel and 11 years on my knuckle.
                    Still look fine.

Edit;
                    Well maybe not on the shovel. I had my tank repainted twice over the years so maybe I changed it then. But , definitely not the knuckle. Same ones.
                    Last edited by 47str8leg; 04-05-2020, 8:10 AM.

Comment

• Hoghead
                      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Hatchet54

Now does anyone have specific opinions about inline filters? I've been using the cheap lawn mower ones...
                      Yes-cheap ones suck, and i'm not even sure a well maintained bike needs one, unless you put crap gas in it. My buddy Liz had one fail and cause an under bonnet fire in her Camaro. Only one I use is a Pingel filter.

Comment

• Hatchet54
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Hoghead
                        Yes-cheap ones suck, and i'm not even sure a well maintained bike needs one, unless you put crap gas in it. My buddy Liz had one fail and cause an under bonnet fire in her Camaro. Only one I use is a Pingel filter.
                        I agree, but unfortunately traveling in the rural mountain states like I do often goes hand in hand with crap gas. But I have run plenty of times without them too...I think it's one of those things "doesn't hurt, but could potentially save you, so might as well..."

Comment

• Hatchet54
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by 47str8leg
                          I don't know what kind of gas you guys are using but I've had the same black rubber hose I got from the auto parts store for 17 years now on my shovel and 11 years on my knuckle.
                          Still look fine..
                          Any numbers or marks on the side of that hose?

Comment

• Hoghead
                            • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Hatchet54
                            I agree, but unfortunately traveling in the rural mountain states like I do often goes hand in hand with crap gas. But I have run plenty of times without them too...I think it's one of those things "doesn't hurt, but could potentially save you, so might as well..."
                            True- Dad and I got stuck briefly in a remote part of the UK 50 years ago with crap gas. So I guess the advice should be run one, but run a good one!

Comment

• 47str8leg
                              • Sep 2014

I'll look and see soon and get back to you.

1/4"-ID SAR-30R7-KX 078698506012-made in USA

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7361.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	1317082

5/16"-SAE30R6KX- made in USA
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7358.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	1317083
                              Last edited by 47str8leg; 04-06-2020, 11:25 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;