Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nucklhead
    • May 2016

Clutch Cable Broke

Yesterday while riding my 1980 Sportster the clutch cable broke as I reached a stop sign. No traffic was there so I was able to make it to a small road in first gear. That way I got to ride slowly and run every stop sign. I had to finally get on a main street. Before hitting it I learned how to shift into neutral with out the clutch. That allowed me to stop at a sign and not get run over by traffic. It is just that one cannot shift right into first gear while sitting still. The engine will die. It took some tries to figure out all I had to do was get the motorcycle rolling before shifting into first. That way I could push it fast enough while seated on it to gt going and make it home. I just had to use the front brake to stop once in the motorcycle shed.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Have you ever oiled the cable??????

Comment

• brooklynbomber
      • Sep 2011

Also check the throw out bearing too. If it destroys itself it let’s go like what a broken cable feels like. I did that myself, those cables are pretty stout and hold up to some decent abuse. The bearings can be the cheap link

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Hell I bet he never oiled the cable since he never responded to my post..............

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by brooklynbomber
          Also check the throw out bearing too. If it destroys itself it let’s go like what a broken cable feels like. I did that myself, those cables are pretty stout and hold up to some decent abuse. The bearings can be the cheap link
          There's supposedly a better make/model than stock for (at least) Evo Sporties and it might fit an Ironhead. For some odd reason I've never had to replace one on a customer or personal Sporty but plenty of other folks do.

OP could check the xlforum if no one here knows.

Comment

• Hoghead
            • Jun 2015

Barnett do a clutch cable for the 1980 sportster, bought a few over the years when swapping bars on evo sporty and fxr, no problems on quality.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;