CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default what's your headlight toggle switch placement?

I'm wiring up the bike right now and going to run a 0n/off/on toggle switch on my rigid shovel. any ideas on placement? was thinking about making a bracket to hold it off the coil mount (seat post) so it's easily accessible..the wiring could look messy there though, so want to hear what you guys have done?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by firstripholdmybeer View Post
    I'm wiring up the bike right now and going to run a 0n/off/on toggle switch on my rigid shovel. any ideas on placement? was thinking about making a bracket to hold it off the coil mount (seat post) so it's easily accessible..the wiring could look messy there though, so want to hear what you guys have done?
    You want an "on/on" switch . Not an "On/off/on".
    No need for the off, your just switching between the hi and low beam.
    Lot of guys just mount them on the bucket itself.

Maybe not advisable, but I put a DP3T on/off/on toggle on my '80 FLH to kill the headlight and taillight in the middle position. The switch's on the back of the headlight cover, will only fit in the outside hole.

Get Adobe Flash player

Got one speedin' ticket, but if I had an all-lights off on my switch, I woulda got away...every bike since then (40 years ago) has had the 6-pole, 3-position high-off-low light switch, including brake light...plus easier for starting if just power to ignition.
    Switch is down under my ass on left side on a stainless plate behind oil tank, can be operated while clutch engaged, with kill switch on opposite side so it can be flicked while clutch is disengaged.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8161721.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	99947

I used to have a hi/ lo / off switch down next to my ignition barrel built into the motor mount.
    When i wired my latest bike i couldn't be bothered fitting one and just wired the lo beam straight to the ignition switch so i never forget to turn it on.

Get Adobe Flash player

I used the second position of the main keyed switch to turn the lights on,
    & internally wired the handlebars to mount a stock early changeover switch for the HI/LO.
    real easy and hides the wires well & easy to change from one to the other with my hands on the bars.
    I did the same next to it for the horn push as well. about $15 to do both.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1057 - Copy.JPG  
    Last edited by tzienlee; 02-04-2020 at 4:45 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I put mine either directly in the bucket or mounted in the eyebrow visor.

Run on/off/on with all my lights for some of the aforementioned reasons.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for all the responses people. I think I'm going to go with the toggle in the bucket, it seems like the cleanest option. I ended up getting a mini 3 position toggle on/off/on. I've had the same kind on my sportster for a year now with no problems and is discrete.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    Got one speedin' ticket, but if I had an all-lights off on my switch, I woulda got away...every bike since then (40 years ago) has had the 6-pole, 3-position high-off-low light switch, including brake light...plus easier for starting if just power to ignition.
    Switch is down under my ass on left side on a stainless plate behind oil tank, can be operated while clutch engaged, with kill switch on opposite side so it can be flicked while clutch is disengaged.
    Sorta the same deal, in the same place, this particular switch is a single throw double pole. This means it has two on-off switches not connected to each other electrically in the same housing controlled by the same toggle. And in this case it only makes the back of the bike go dark. The red aircraft/safety cover means I have to make 2 separate motions to shut the lights off, (so I don't do it accidentally,) but only one (shut the cover) to turn them back on.

Name:	lpbraket1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	304.6 KB 
ID:	99955

I'm running an old Sportster keyed ignition switch in the little chromed box on my panhead chop. The chrome box has a stud on the top that I used to bolt it to the bottom of the coil cover. Makes it look like it kinda goes there. Since I'm running dual Aris headlights, the first turn of the key is ignition and top headlight. Second turn adds the bottom headlight to the mix.

Get Adobe Flash player

Mine is mounted on the bucket.

Get Adobe Flash player

For what it's worth, I did a hi/low switch on my ironhead into the top motor mount. the other two lights are oil and genny warning lights. The hi/low is the type with the blue light in it. my low beam was constant on when running. pretty easy to just reach down and flip the switch once I got used to it.

Not sure if this placement is relative on your shovel tho.

Name:	20180927_212256.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	309.4 KB 
ID:	99980

Share This