Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lifesagas
    • Jun 2019

Easy Rider Tech Tips - Low Swing

Theres a page in the original tech tips & tricks on lowering the rear end by moving the shock mount back. Does anybody have any before/after pics of this?
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

which of the 4 volumes of tech tips & tricks is that in?
    do you have it?
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• MOTher
      • Sep 2012

Pretty sure it's in Vol. 1, which is the only one of the set I can't put my hands on right now. It's here somewhere. However, here's a pic of a stock swingarm and one that's been modified as per that tech tip, mostly. The only difference is that in the ER tech tip they moved the mount straight down, whereas I moved mine down and back a little to keep the shock angle the same as it had been. Obviously, the one in red primer is the modified one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	swingarm_mod.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1315404

And here's a pic of it on the bike

Name:	B&C.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	1315405
      Last edited by MOTher; 02-01-2020, 1:23 PM.

Comment

• flatman
        • Sep 2017

Good info , nice bike , what kinda taillight is that? Thanks

Comment

• JBinNC
          • Dec 2018

If you simply move the blocks back 7/8", that will lower the bike 1 - 1 1/4". That's about as much as you can get away with if you are using the stock fender. If it's an FX fender, sectioning and extending the swingarm 2" at the same time will cause the wheel to fit the fender much better. That is an old custom trick.
          When you lean the shocks back, the ride will be stiffer, i.e., it has the same effect as increasing the spring rate. That's the downside.

Jim

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

If ya don't got them ER tips & tricks manuals, They are available for download:

Downloads Service Manuals
            Free manuals and documents:

Harley Easyriders Tech Tips & Tricks v.1.pdf
            Harley Easyriders Tech Tips & Tricks v.2.pdf
            Harley Easyriders Tech Tips & Tricks v.3.pdf
            Harley Easyriders Tech Tips & Tricks v.4.pdf

If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• MOTher
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by flatman
              Good info , nice bike , what kinda taillight is that? Thanks
              Thanks. Taillight is from a '38 Studebaker. Had to reshape the bottom a little to fit the fender. Here's a pic with some coarse sandpaper glued to a very trimmed Superglide fender I was using to refine the shape.

Name:	sandlight.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	1315424

Comment

• lifesagas
                • Jun 2019

Originally posted by MOTher
                Pretty sure it's in Vol. 1, which is the only one of the set I can't put my hands on right now. It's here somewhere. However, here's a pic of a stock swingarm and one that's been modified as per that tech tip, mostly. The only difference is that in the ER tech tip they moved the mount straight down, whereas I moved mine down and back a little to keep the shock angle the same as it had been. Obviously, the one in red primer is the modified one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99862[/ATTACH]

And here's a pic of it on the bike

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99863[/ATTACH]
                yup its in vol 1

looks great on your bike thanks. i saw a bike at cheap thrills in NJ yesterday that had this mod too and it was the stance im looking for so i'm gonna do it. it looks better than getting shorter shocks i think. this is for a 72 FX i picked up that has the round swingarm replaced with a square.

do you have good clearance with that exhaust? im thinking about a 2 in 1 also, it has stock pipes and mid controls im worried a little bit about scraping once its lowered

Comment

• tzienlee
                  • Apr 2024

I demand performance and handling out of my bikes,
                  & I also had the lower shock mounts moved an inch to the rear on a new Aluminium Swingarm I had made,
                  I also had longer than stock adjustable Gas shocks bespoke made for it to give it more clearance to aid fast street handling,
                  but if I were to fit the shorter seasick inducing 'Progressive Suspension' shocks back on, it sits like that as well,
                  have you thought of getting a whole new swingarm made that not only lowers but looks trick as well?...
                  I know mine sits higher than you want, but that is just down to the shocks, plus it is lifted off the deck in the picture,
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-02-2020, 3:43 PM.

Comment

• flatman
                    • Sep 2017

mother thanks for the info. Shit now gotta search for the common 38 studabaker light LOL Got any side shots of the bike, like it lots!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;