Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mowen
    • Oct 2010

Mount Tank

Just want to hear advice on what you guys would do to mount a tank on this chrome frame with these holes already drilledClick image for larger version

Name:	A96D4650-E1EF-4F91-A4CC-9773F7AB6E2E.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1345897
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

With the frame being chromed you don't have many choices....... Why not use the existing hole???????

What kind of mounts does your tank have??????????

Many thanks for the pic it is very helpful.........

Comment

• mowen
      • Oct 2010

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	1315301 and yes I do want to use these existing holes. How bad would welding small bungs destroy the chrome

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by mowen
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]99734[/ATTACH] and yes I do want to use these existing holes. How bad would welding small bungs destroy the chrome
        I've never seen it look very good welding around chrome..... Try it but I don't see a problem just bolting it up like it is now.......

It's been done for years like that...........

Comment

• mowen
          • Oct 2010

Meaning drill through the other side of frame and run a bolt straight through??

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Yes. That was standard forever before anyone gave a fuck about bungs. It doesn't bother the frame.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Yep, Put a nylock nut or equivalent on it and your done.............

Comment

• mowen
                • Oct 2010

Thanks boys I’ll be drilling through later!

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Damn this thread went quick................. and another happy customer........... LOL

Isn't it helpful when people ask questions with pics..................

Hell yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• mowen
                    • Oct 2010

New found problem. Drilling through the frame where the hole is now I’m going to run into this section of frameClick image for larger version

Name:	343FACC4-49C3-47D6-B482-8AEBDBCB0539.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1315338

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

It doesn't look like a problem....... But can you take a pic a little further back so we can see better what your talking about.....

You know what it looks like but it's hard for me to tell by that pic.....

I say just drill through it........... But waiting on the pic to be sure.......

Thanks

Comment

• mowen
                        • Oct 2010

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	1315342

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

I can see it now it's the front mount...... That will be a little tougher...........

What about some kind of insert?????? Not welded in............

Comment

• farmall
                            • Apr 2013

What about some kind of insert?????? Not welded in............
                            There's a great variety of "blind threaded inserts" whose only purpose is to be a mechanically installed threaded bung. I'm so used to convenient welding I didn't think of it but I'm glad you did. Using nut inserts has lots of potential in chobbing. They're all over the automotive world. I need to get a variety and play with them.

For chobbering, search for "heavy duty blind threaded inserts" etc because most expanding inserts are lightweight cheap shit which interferes with useful search results.

Example installer tool for the non-wealthy. Study the inserts which interest you then make or buy accordingly. The official factory tools for mass production are not cheap:

I'd practice with any tool by testing on scrap. Don't even think of making a "first try" on your workpiece because drilling out inserts is tedious (worse if they spin). I've done a few (cheap ones, not on a motorcycle) over the years but install has to be just right so they don't spin.

Remember to measure your material thickness before choosing an insert!
                            Last edited by farmall; 01-28-2020, 9:38 PM.

Comment

• 70fatster
                              • Jan 2013

I personally don't think a nutsert will work very well here, as said before they can be hard to get to work even on flat metal.
                              You might take a look at Home Depot or Lowes for threaded inserts from Hilti. The ones I'm talking about use two cable tie looking things with a wing nut thing on one end and a small plate which ends up on the outside through which the cable ties pull up and secure the nut close to the back side. They come in a bag about 8" long or so and are usually found on an endcap or with the other Hilti stuff.
                              The last bag of them I used to install a t-top on a friends 25' Mako center console. Just drill a hole big enough, drop the end through, pull it up with the two cable ties and the plate on the outside, and cut the excess cable tie. The nut portion is real steel, not stamped, and has real machine threads.
                              Even if you have to dremel the hole a little bigger I'm pretty sure it would all hide nicely under the tank flange.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;