X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChopColt
    • Mar 2016

Title issues

Hey guys,
    So a while back I bought a shovelhead and trans of a guy near me. Numbers on both engine and title matches up. Some time past and I sold my truck that just so happened to have the title in it (stupidest move on my part) anyways the seller of the engine and I never met up to transfer title and the seller of the truck couldn’t find the title and I can’t get ahold of the “owner” of the engine. What’s the best way to go about getting a title? I’m in Pennsylvania if that helps at all.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

What year Shovelhead????

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

If the seller of the engine had his name on the title, find him and take him with you to DMV then get title on the spot. He proves he owns it, transfers to you, you toddle off happily with the hard copy which you then immediately place in your safety deposit box or similar in case DMV loses the record. (That saved me on a Rocket 3.)

If you can't get title you can buy a titled frame or roller and use that since title doesn't pass with engine on cone Shovels. If it's a generator Shovel you can still stick the engine in a titled later frame. If it ever has the numbers run though, you don't own the engine under law because you can't prove that.

THIS is why I title everything as fast as I get it AND get a hard copy printed on the spot at DMV, no exceptions not fucking ever. Titles do not go in gloveboxes, no exceptions. (I've seen other people make such mistakes all the time. It's like they subconsciously resent paperwork that covers their own ass.)

Comment

• ChopColt
        • Mar 2016

‘79

Comment

• ChopColt
          • Mar 2016

Ahh thanks man with the info. Hopefully I get it all figured out

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ChopColt
            ‘79
            On a 79 if you don't have the frame you don't need the title........... The title goes with the frame not the motor........... Sorry.........

Comment

• ChopColt
              • Mar 2016

Yeah I bought just then engine and then bought an oem frame with no numbers. Although I think I found my solution and Vermont may be my savior

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Yeah I bought just then engine and then bought an oem frame with no numbers. Although I think I found my solution and Vermont may be my savior
                Best of luck with all of your solutions.........

Comment

• Vinson
                  • Jun 2012

I'm assuming you're talking about this?

Never done it, but one of my buddies who has a collection of small bikes has done a couple this way. I've heard the state will title post '70 motors, seems sketchy but hopefully it works out for you.
                  Last edited by Vinson; 02-04-2020, 6:47 AM.

Comment

• ladycroft
                    • Jan 2020

How is everything now? Going good?

Comment

• GroveRat87
                      • May 2019

How is the Vermont deal working for you so far?

I made a similar mistake years ago when I bought a bike and had the title signed by the owner and seller. It was a project and I was young and broke so I put what cash I had into getting the project on the road instead of transferring the title. And now the title is lost. I know how stupid that was now but it's a little too late. Previous owner died years ago and no trace of any surviving family. I can get a bonded title but that's pretty expensive, lessons in stupidity usually are but I am considering the Vermont thing.

Comment

• Whoremonger
                        • Jan 2014

Here is what I have done in 2 similar situations here in Cali. In situation# 1 I lost title to a65 hd I bought and did not want to go through the hassle of asking the asshole I bought it from to sign papers for duplicate and hope he did the right thing. The asshole is my brother by the way. So what I did was sign his name myself to all the documents that required his signature. Transfer went through smoothly bike is in my name. Situation # 2, I bought a salvage title vehicle that was a repo. Location of sale was 90 miles away. Seller was a tweaker but had all the legal documents required to transfer the vehicle in my name. Well when I go to dmv to do transfer I fucked up and filled out one of the forms wrong that had the sellers signature. Had to go back and have the seller sign a new form. Being this guy was a tweaked the odds of locating him were slim. So again I went ahead and signed his name to the document myself. Transfer went through smoothly and vehicle is in my name. I KNOW THIS IS NOT LEGAL so pass me up on the lectures. But my thinking is that the worker at dmv is not going to try and verify that the signature is legit and could not if they tried,also they just don't care. But the main reason I felt comfortable doing that is because both transactions were legit. I did not steal either the bike or the vehicle. Paid good money for both.Not advocating for you or anyone else to break the law just sharing what I did in a simalar situation.

Comment

• Ninskrilla
                          • Apr 2013

I just went through the Vermont registration process so I could turn my FXR with a special construction title (Harley frame) to a Harley title. It was simple. Fill out the forms calculate the tax and registration fee and stroke them a check. You have to get a local cop to verify the VIN, other than that it’s just paperwork. As long as your numbers aren’t hot you’ll have no problems.

Comment

• montuckymatt
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Ninskrilla
                            I just went through the Vermont registration process so I could turn my FXR with a special construction title (Harley frame) to a Harley title. It was simple. Fill out the forms calculate the tax and registration fee and stroke them a check. You have to get a local cop to verify the VIN, other than that it’s just paperwork. As long as your numbers aren’t hot you’ll have no problems.
                            I second the Vermont route. Works like a dream.

Comment

• 10scDust
                              • Jan 2018

Here in TN, I'm not sure of age requirement for the vehicle, or TN's particulars. A good while back I picked up a 1950 F1 pickup w/o a title. I needed a notarized bill of sale from the seller, the VIN verified by an auto dealer or police, then cut them a check for the sales tax, title application, and walked out with an antique license plate in hand. The dealer told me before some date in the past, titles were not issued with a vehicle, that is why I could get one the way I did. I imagine if it were a bike, same thing.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;