X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HarmBMW
    • Jan 2016

73 Shovelhead no starting and power

Hello,

I will tell you the complete story. I have a 1973 shovelhead and it have a Mikuni carburetor. Had a fire once, so didn't trust the carburetor (although it ran great) and tried since 2 weeks a S&S super B. After some tuning the performance was great compared to the Mikuni, but starting was a problem.

Meanwhile I have new wiring installed via this image:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	de1bc07515d1c0cdfa803e3197db9d8e.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1345887
    The S&S still gave starting problems so I switched back to the Mikuni. And now I still have problems, with installed the Mikuni again, it was 1 kick and the engine want to run.. But without power and it fell out after a few seconds. I have a video:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

As seen in the video I first tried to start using brake cleaner.

I switched back to the old wiring, and the problems remains.
    I have also a video how it run before the problems, this is with the Mikuni and old wiring:

Tried another plugs (plugs are black) but no difference.

Has anyone an idea what I should check?
    Last edited by HarmBMW; 01-22-2020, 1:14 PM.
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

Were the carbs you are using rebuilt? Did you check float level? adequate fuel supply from tank? Could be the pilot jet clogged not letting fuel through for starting. Got some kind of a choke for cold starts? did you check for any intake leaks? clean air filter? That wiring diagram shows points ignition...points set right? condensers good? 12v to coil(s)? all grounds good - clean, tight. coils tested? plug wires checked? plug caps? swapped plugs? got compression? valves set properly? got a manual?
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• HarmBMW
      • Jan 2016

Carbs were rebuilt. I installed the S&S Super B again and now the power is back and had it running for a few minutes. So there's some progress.. There is still flames coming out the carburetor and exhausts.

I'm little bit afraid of starting the Harley, because the carburetor was on fire 2 times.. What could cause the flames/backfire from the carburetor and exhaust? I think intake leak, but manifold has new O rings and clamps.

Further.. Float level is okay, engine gets gas. Use enrichener/choke for starting. Points is set right.

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

Sounds to me like the ignition timing is off.

If this bike were in my shop, I would adjust the valves and do a compression test first. If compression was decent, and balanced for the two cylinders, I would set the timing properly.

If the motor did not run and idle at that point, I would run a jumper lead from battery positive to the hot side of the coil, to eliminate the entire wiring system, and see if the motor ran and idled properly. If so, the problem would have to be in the wiring for the ignition circuit (wires, switches, breakers).

Jim

Comment

• pan620
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by JBinNC
          Sounds to me like the ignition timing is off.

If this bike were in my shop, I would adjust the valves and do a compression test first. If compression was decent, and balanced for the two cylinders, I would set the timing properly.

If the motor did not run and idle at that point, I would run a jumper lead from battery positive to the hot side of the coil, to eliminate the entire wiring system, and see if the motor ran and idled properly. If so, the problem would have to be in the wiring for the ignition circuit (wires, switches, breakers).

Jim
          Very sound advice, it is where i would start also if it was in my shop.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

Guessin' you've seen this thread for timing;

Thread: 76 Shovelhead timing question
            So, I bought a 76 Shovelhead a while back. It has an electric start and a kicker. It never really kicked over and stayed running but initially would start with the electric start... until it wouldn’t. It got progressively harder and harder to start but otherwise ran well when it ran except that it might die at idle. It has a
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• HarmBMW
              • Jan 2016

Thanks for the information. Just had a quick view on the points, which were .018”. will do a full test including timing when got some time. Bought a compression tester. So you’ll hear from me soon.

Comment

• confab
                • May 2019

Originally posted by HarmBMW

What could cause the flames/backfire from the carburetor...
                Stupid noobie question - Isn't there a mechanical advance system in there, and if it were worn or stuck.. Couldn't that cause flame out the carb?

Comment

• hillcat
                  • Mar 2015

Trinortchopz mentions checking for intake leaks. You mentioned new gaskets and seals but did you check for leak by spraying brake clean or something around the manifold while engine running? Or are you just assuming it's tight?

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                    Were the carbs you are using rebuilt? Did you check float level? adequate fuel supply from tank? Could be the pilot jet clogged not letting fuel through for starting. Got some kind of a choke for cold starts? did you check for any intake leaks? clean air filter? That wiring diagram shows points ignition...points set right? condensers good? 12v to coil(s)? all grounds good - clean, tight. coils tested? plug wires checked? plug caps? swapped plugs? got compression? valves set properly? got a manual?
                    That pretty much covers it all...............

If you did and checked all of the above it should be running like a charm............

If it's still running crappy go back and read what Tri said again and again............

Comment

• HarmBMW
                      • Jan 2016

Past weekend I have checked the points again and set the timing. First kick and he starts, no backfire out of the exhaust or carburetor. So that would be great.. I never did an adjustment on a ignition, it was the first time, also this video helped me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGR2skLM4e8.

I did the adjustment with the TDC mark at the location as seen in the attached photo. Is that correct? (Sorry, can't get photo rotated).
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Foto 01-02-2020 14 13 29.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	1315423

Comment

• JBinNC
                        • Dec 2018

If you do the static timing that way, that's only half the job. The book says second step is to set advanced timing with a timing light. So you are halfway there.

You can also set advanced timing with a static method. Whatever you choose, it's the ADVANCED TIMING that is important to get right.

Jim

Comment

• HarmBMW
                          • Jan 2016

I did the points and the backing plate of the points. Via http://www.vtwinmfg.com/Instructions/16/16-0161.pdf but without an ACU-TIMER. So this means I'm done?

Comment

• JBinNC
                            • Dec 2018

The point or use of the AccuTimer is to hold the advance unit in its full advance position so that the advance timing can be set. You can do the same thing by turning the point cam to its full advance stop and adjusting the timing plate until the points just break when the advance unit hits its stop. I use some small 90 degree lock ring pliers for this purpose as they are thin enough to get in past the condenser and grab the point cam. You can also remove the condenser for a little more room.

The point is, the advance timing setting is the one you want to get right.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

Static timing gets you into the park, dynamic timing puts you on home base ...
                              Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;