Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheMainMuel
    • Oct 2010

Hugo Stiglitz - RoadStar Bobber

I love Yamahas. Started out with an XS, then a V-Star 650, then V-Star 1100, of course the next logical step is the RoadStar. I wanted one for about 7 years, but could never afford one. I came across a cheap RoadStar on the Cincinnati CL. I went down and looked at it. There were a ton of red flags. The dude selling me the bike isn't the dude on the title. The title was already signed so we had to find a dirty notary to notarize the deal. The bike was way worse than the pictures and was smoking. I definitely should have passed on it. But I didn't want to pass up such a good deal. I planned on tearing it apart anyway, so I bought it. Mistake #1. As a rule, I always change all the fluids before I ride a new bike. When I got home my neighbor wanted to go for a ride. It was late fall and I probably wouldn't get another chance, so I checked the fluids (checked, not changed) and hit the road. Mistake #2. I got about an hour from home and the engine seized. I spent months trying to get it unseized to no avail.

So I had this giant turd taking up space and constantly reminding me of my bad decision. I thought about selling it for parts, but it would be just too much of a financial loss for me to swallow. So, I decided to dump even more money in to it and make it something I can at least use. This one came with a 1600 motor, so I bought the newer 1700 motor and swapped it out. I kept the same transfer case. The only thing that was different between the 1600 and the 1700 (as far as mounting is concerned) is the top motor mount.
  • TheMainMuel
    • Oct 2010

Here it is as I got it

Click image for larger version

Name:	HS1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	309.1 KB
ID:	1315217

Comment

• TheMainMuel
      • Oct 2010

Name:	HS2.jpg
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	1315218

Comment

• TheMainMuel
        • Oct 2010

Out with the old, in with the new(er)

Name:	Swap.jpg
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	1315219

Comment

• TheMainMuel
          • Oct 2010

I want to change pretty much everything on the bike. If you happened to have seen my V-Star 1100 build on here Vingo Star, you'll see the style of bikes that I like to build. Right now, the only things I plan to keep are the rear fender and rear wheel, both of which will be modified.

I have always wanted a springer front end, but being a Jap bike guy it's quite challenging to do. Of course there are DNA springers which would be easier, but I've never really been a fan of the aesthetics of the DNA springers (no offense to anyone that has one). I like the look of vintage Harley springers. Throttle Addiction sells a repop vintage Harley springer. I bought one knowing that it was going to be difficult to make it fit. Once I received it, I was able to look it over and try to figure out a way to convert it from the imperial sized stem to the metric sized neck. My idea involves different bearings, some whittling both on the top clamp and the top clamp nut, and also a sleeve that converts the neck from an imperial size to a metric size. I took my idea to a machine shop that has done work for me in the past. They were able to do what I needed. I mounted it up and it fits! It feels solid, but of course the real test will be when I can actually take it for a ride. I knew there would be more challenges with that and there are. The neck on the frame is very wide and the legs on the springer are quite narrow. This is limiting the turning radius. I plan to cut off the steering stop on the frame and also shave down the stops on the springer. This will buy me some more room, but I'm not sure if it will be enough. I may have to figure out a way to make the neck area a little skinnier.

I trimmed off the ignition and tank mounts off the backbone so its nice and clean. Ready for a new tank.

Name:	State of affairs.jpg
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	1315220

Comment

• TheMainMuel
            • Oct 2010

This was just a dry fit to see how everything is going to sit. I will be chopping the rear fender.

Name:	HS3.jpg
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	1315221

Comment

• TheMainMuel
              • Oct 2010

Name:	HS4.jpg
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	1315222

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

That's looking really nice.....

Comment

• TheMainMuel
                  • Oct 2010

Thanks man

Comment

• BrokeAss
                    • Jan 2020

One of the more interesting builds I've seen in a while, looking forward to seeing your progress on this!

***edit***

Just noticed you're in Columbus, I'm nearby in the Marysville area, if you need any powder coating hit me up!
                    Last edited by BrokeAss; 01-24-2020, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

Nice and tidy. Keep da photos coming!

Comment

• TheMainMuel
                        • Oct 2010

Thanks gents!

Right on BrokeAss! I'll PM you.
                        Last edited by TheMainMuel; 01-25-2020, 9:38 PM.

Comment

• TheMainMuel
                          • Oct 2010

Just a quick note in case someone else ends up doing a motor swap on one of these:
                          On the left side at the rear of the engine there are three bolts that attach the drive pulley housing to the motor. On the 1600 motor, they are M8-1.25 bolts. On the 1700 motor, they went up to M10-1.25 bolts. So, if you are swapping the motor from a 1600 to a 1700, but keeping the 1600 transfer case, you will need to drill out the three 8mm holes on the drive pulley housing cover to 10mm and also buy three M10-1.25 x 40mm bolts.

Comment

• TheMainMuel
                            • Oct 2010

Name:	Transfer Case 1.jpg
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	1315770

Comment

• TheMainMuel
                              • Oct 2010