Replacement early transmission case options?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gorgeous
    • Aug 2013

Replacement early transmission case options?

My trans was leaving quite the puddle under my bike. I pulled it the other day and the case is pretty well fucked. The gears all look good. It shifted hard into first, but otherwise ok. Jockey lid seems to be in good shape and a decent oem piece. The case is 1948 with a big repair down the primary side. Looks like they went to town with a grinder on the lid gasket surface of the trans and it is no longer flat. Whoever put it together had a field day with rtv and jb weld. Didnt leak there but it's It's leaking from the studs I think.

The shift fork retaining screw looks fucked, like someone had to cut a slot in it with a grinder and got a bit of the gasket surface as well, so getting that out will be a chore. The cover on the counter shaft bushing on the primary side looks to be held on with rtv, the two screws that I can reach without taking the sprocket off just spin in their holes.

I can get some pics later if anyone cares to see. It's not pretty. There was a bit of glitter in the oil. I put baker kicker gears and a witch hat TO bearing in it a couple months ago. The TO bearing (wafer) that was in there seems to have lunched itself(wrong bearing for the finger thats in there) and the kicker gears were pretty well fucked as well. So I think that's where the glitter came from, there were much bigger pieces of metal in there then, but none of the gears/dogs look worn at all and it shifted just fine. Was hard to get into first from a stop, had to let the clutch out a bit before it would grab, but that was about it. I figure that may just be a bit of adjustment.

So before I try and reseal this thing, and go oversize on the studs, and put it back in and pray (not ideal obviously). What are my options for a replacement case? Are the VTwin ones worth a shit? I'd really like to find a Cal Products one because they look like a roots blower and they seem to be well made? (Anyone got one they want to let go of???) Seems like they are getting rare. Should I keep an eye out for another panhead trans case? I'd like to have this one fixed, but it might not be worth the time and money right now to do so. I'm afraid it's to the point that I might not be able to put this one back together once I get it apart. hahaha. Fuck. I understand that anything else will likely need to be line lapped regardless, but that doesnt really worry me.

What are my options, I'm not trying to buy a whole new trans. Money's not tight, but I have some other changes I'm working on so I'd rather not spend it all on this if I don't have to. I will be doing all labor that doesn't require machining myself.
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Must have been built by the same Guy that originally built the Pan motor ... ??

Doesn't seem to be a lot of options on the case these days ...
    The Cal case is the Bad-Boy of the after/market cases, finding one would be a stroke of luck ...

V-T case may be the only choice ya got ... Haven't used one just yet, but haven't heard anything bad about em .. !!
    Last edited by Dragstews; 01-20-2020, 9:11 AM.
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• gorgeous
      • Aug 2013

FOR SURE! I have receipts to prove it! hahaha

Comment

• Dragstews
        • Sep 2010

Found ya one ....

Not a Cal-Products but a NOS STD case...
        Ya have two ways to go .... Buy just the case and do the work for loading up fourth gear at around $200 or
        Buy the case with the fourth gear already installed for $350 ...

You get what you see in the photo...

Fourth gear case race installed, line reamed, fitted to std bearings
        Seal spacer, seal, sprocket and nut ....
        Last edited by Dragstews; 01-20-2020, 1:13 PM.

Comment

• gorgeous
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Dragstews
          Found ya one ....

Not a Cal-Products but a NOS STD case...
          Ya have two ways to go .... Buy just the case and do the work for loading up fourth gear at around $200 or
          Buy the case with the fourth gear already installed for $350 ...

You get what you see in the photo...

Fourth gear case race installed, line reamed, fitted to std bearings
          Seal spacer, seal, sprocket and nut ....
          This could work. I'll give you a call in a couple hours when I have a minute to chat.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
            • Oct 2016

Please let me know if gorgeous doesn't want it, I think I found a crack in mine.

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

That deal is good for all ...
              Wont be out of stock for a long time yet to come .. (In other words, "Got plenty to go around")

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

That's dirt cheap.

Comment

• Dragstews
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by farmall
                  That's dirt cheap.
                  It is with the fourth gear already installed .. !!

That be a bit of work to buy a case race then sweat it in the case, after that here's comes line lapping the race to running fit using std bearings.
                  Not to mention the cost of the gear, case race, bearings, seal spacer, seal sprocket and nut ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	83021776_869975743443919_2514726531746496512_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1315201
                  Last edited by Dragstews; 01-20-2020, 5:52 PM.

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

I have cash register eyes and the difference is even better than getting the parts free.

Comment

• Dragstews
                      • Sep 2010

......... ..........

Comment

• 47str8leg
                        • Sep 2014

Seems like a very reasonable price to me.
                        've used a 25 T sprocket in my 74" knuckle with a jockey top and a 24 T sprocket on my 74" Pan with a ratchet top. Both have the 51T drum brake. Any downside to using the larger trans sprocket ? Both seem to run ok .

Comment

• Dragstews
                          • Sep 2010

"Any downside to using the larger trans sprocket ? "

Gotta have the ponies to pull tall gearing, if a Man sticks a 26 T on a stocker he might be disappointed in fourth gear ...

About the STD Trans case, the reason the top of the case looks a bit odd is it was made to be a uni ...

Can be used with a ratchet top or a cow-pie lid ...
                          Be just a wee bit of work to grind off the lip if a ratchet top was going into play, be just for looks ..
                          Last edited by Dragstews; 01-21-2020, 1:23 PM.

Comment

• 47str8leg
                            • Sep 2014

[QUOTE=Dragstews;837255]"Any downside to using the larger trans sprocket ? "

Gotta have the ponies to pull tall gearing, if a Man sticks a 26 T on a stocker he might be disappointed in fourth gear ...

My understanding is that it brings you closer to a 2:1 ratio which , while not good for performance , is better for lower rpm's at cruising speed. Neither one is a rocket ship but , maybe because they're stripped down , it doesn't seem to be hurting them too much either.

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

...... ^ ^ ......

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;