Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 47str8leg
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by laeljon
    1971 FX went from this to this and then this.....#2 photo was the last rendition was originally Blue
    I actually like the solid red version with the boatail Fender the best. I'm so used to seeing the red white and blue version that the solid color makes it a little more understated. The sissybar kind up breaks up the visual length of it also.
    Last edited by 47str8leg; 01-21-2020, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

I just went and looked at my Harley data book and it said that the Sportster/boattail was optional in 1972 on the FX...........

So who knows for sure????????

Comment

• Dragstews
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Tattooo

So who knows for sure????????
        Willie G would ....

Harley-Davidson motorcycles make small twins and big twins motors. However, individual bikers would sometimes customize their bikes by changing parts around or cutting and re-welding frames and other components to suit their tastes.

Harley-Davidson styling director Willie G. Davidson was aware of this phenomenon and decided to design a motorcycle for production that would offer the look of the custom bikes.

To accomplish this, he started with the frame and rear suspension, from the FLH Electra Glide. Then mated the smaller telescopic forks from the XLH Sportster. This combination was referred to as the FX chassis, where "FX" meant "Factory Experimental", the drive train and engine accessories were from the FLH, the front headlights and brakes were from the XLH. This use of a mixture of FL and XL parts has also been used to explain the FX designation. To complete the Super Glide, he added buckhorn handlebars and a "boat tail" tail/fender unit similar to those being used on the XLH Sportster.

The production FX Super Glide was released in 1971 to a lukewarm reception. Particularly not well received were the "boat tail" fenders, which also proved to be unpopular on the Sportsters that had it. Sales of both models improved when less radical rear styling was made available in subsequent years. The 1971 model failed to attract the audience Harley had hoped it would and was a sales disappointment, with fewer than 5,000 sales.

Despite the disappointment Harley went on to improve on the FX line releasing the much more successful FX Super Glide in 1972, some of its pieces did not return, to the delight of Harley riders. The tail section disappeared, replaced by a traditional steel fender assembly. In this form, the Super Glide met with greater success, and factory customs would eventually become Harley- Davidson's stock-in-trade.
        Last edited by Dragstews; 01-21-2020, 5:41 PM.
        Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dragstews
          Willie G would ....
          Ask him if you would so we will know for sure..................

Comment

• Dragstews
            • Sep 2010

I did back in 96' at Daytona Bike Week event ...
            Had a fairly long chat about the FX line ... Most excellent conversation with the Gent ..

.../// https://youtu.be/aGaeqb_-MCg \\\...
            Last edited by Dragstews; 01-21-2020, 6:52 PM.

Comment

• grumpy2bde
              • Dec 2011

i want to thank all those more knowledgeable then i i believe i will hang on the wall till a forever home cums up ... again thank you

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

I did back in 96' at Daytona Bike Week event ...
                Had a fairly long chat about the FX line ... Most excellent conversation with the Gent ..

.../// https://youtu.be/aGaeqb_-MCg \\\...
                Awesome...... Did you happen to ask him about the years the boat tail were made????????? And why it was even made???? I liked them myself...........

Comment

• Dragstews
                  • Sep 2010

Well yeah, I did tell him that the boat tail was a bit over the top as far as being liked by the riders and took a bunch of them off...
                  He said that sales reflected that dislike for the boat-tail and for 72'models was discontinued .....

I agreed with him that keeping it in production would be like rearranging the deckchairs' on the Hindenburg !!

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

He said that sales reflected that dislike for the boat-tail and for 72'models was discontinued .....
                    LOL I guess he should have told Harley they stopped making it..... LOL

I've been looking around and there are several 72s boat tails around....... But like you said they could have been left overs........ But if they are titled as 72s they are 72s............

After thinking about it, I called a friend that bought one new and he still has it....... I talked to him yesterday to see what year it was and if he still has it...... And yes he still does have it and it's a 1972....

I really liked the XLCR when they came out but most people hated them.............
                    Last edited by Tattooo; 01-22-2020, 7:07 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                      • Sep 2010

And here I thought the question was ... "Did the Mo-Co make any Boat-Tail FX' in the 72' production year"

To my knowledge the answer would be No ....

But the notion of a lean, muscular cruiser caught on in a big way.
                      Once the tail section disappeared for '72, the Super Glide developed a following, spawning the FX line of Harleys that continued for more than 30 years, through the Low Rider, the Wide Glide, the Sturgis, the Softail and the Deuce ..
                      Last edited by Dragstews; 01-22-2020, 8:34 AM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

And here I thought the question was ... "Did the Mo-Co make any Boat-Tail FX' in the 72' production year"

To my knowledge the answer would be No ....

But the notion of a lean, muscular cruiser caught on in a big way.
                        Once the tail section disappeared for '72, the Super Glide developed a following, spawning the FX line of Harleys that continued for more than 30 years, through the Low Rider, the Wide Glide, the Sturgis, the Softail and the Deuce ..
                        Jesse my book says them made it, it was an option and it's in the manual that says they made them, My friend bought one NEW in 1972 and it's titled as a 72 that he still has and it's not a 71 vin code...... I say they made them in 1972........... Now he could have the only one made in 1972???????? But I really doubt it......

No matter what the GREAT Willie G says....... I never cared much for the guy myself anyways............

Remember we are only talking about the Boat tail.....

We will have to agree to disagree...........

Comment

• Dragstews
                          • Sep 2010

Sounds good to me, Lol ... I'll buy it ..

You are aware of the mid year turn over ... Ain't ca ?

The 1971 Harley-Davidson FX Super Glide motorcycle, Harley's first "factory custom" bike, failed to attract the audience Harley had hoped it would and was a sales disappointment, finding fewer than than 5,000 buyers.

In an effort to compete head-on with the aftermarket suppliers, Harley-Davidson ushered in its first "factory custom" for the 1971 model year. By combining pieces from two popular models, the "Big Twin" FL and the XL Sportster, the company hoped to provide buyers a new breed of Harley.

Stripped of its electric starter, the FX could be fitted with a smaller battery and battery box. The forks and front wheel were taken from the XL's parts bin, as was a smaller-diameter headlight and trademark headlight cover.

The frame, 74-cubic-inch Shovelhead engine, and rear suspension originated from the FL. The dual tanks were from the FLH.

A fiberglass tail section was styled after a similar piece used on the previous year's Sportster, and all the bodywork could be covered with a special Sparkling America paint scheme.

New and exciting as it was, the market failed to respond to the first Super Glide, and only 4,700 found buyers. By comparison, more than 10,000 Sportsters were sold the same year.

The Super Glide returned for 1972, but some of its pieces did not. The tail section disappeared, replaced by a traditional steel fender assembly. In this form, the Super Glide met with greater success, and factory customs would eventually become Harley-Davidson's stock-in-trade.

Comment

• Tattooo
                            • Sep 2012

Sounds good to me, Lol ... I'll buy it ..

You are aware of the mid year turn over ... Ain't ca ?
                            Oh yea, So using they way your describing it as mid year turn over they made a boat tail bike in late 70, 71 and early 72...... So they made them really 3 years....... Ok I will agree with that too..............

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

Nope .... Only one year '71 ....

Shoot if they did make it for two, the FX might have gone down with the "Titanic"

Comment

• Tattooo
                                • Sep 2012

Nope .... Only one year '71 ....

Shoot if they did make it for two, the FX might have gone down with the "Titanic"

Just like Harley did before AMF bought them out???????????

Like I said we have to agree to disagree.............

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;