Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CodyPaycheck
    • Jul 2018

Running an LED headlight....

I'd like to run an LED headlight on my Sportster build. In my mind I picture getting a 4-6" LED light bar at ~1000 lumens, one mounted to the trees the other mounted stationary to the frame behind the trees (this will be activated when I switch to high-beam. I've stripped the stock wiring harness and will be using a "Haints" Sportster Treatment simplified wiring harness on this build. My question is... do I need to do anything to the harness to adopt the LED versus the stock headlight?
  • DoomBuggy
    • Oct 2016

I used a generic LED headlight on my Panhead, no changes were required

Comment

• markwade74
      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
      I used a generic LED headlight on my Panhead, no changes were required
      Did the same on my shovel, no big deal

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200115_195559.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	1315123

Comment

• DoomBuggy
        • Oct 2016

The great thing about LEDs, besides brightness and expected lifespan, is that they draw so little power compared to an equivalent incandescent bulb. This allows you to run more lighting on the same circuit or use lighter wire if running the same lumens.

As I mentioned I threw a generic DayMaker clone on my bike and cannot believe the difference. However, I am less impressed by the tail lights I have tried. I tried two different units that fit in the original 1157 socket and once the lens was in place they were not much brighter and the difference between the running light and the brake light was minimal.

My next step is a dedicated LED panel that fits into a tombstone housing. I am going to lose my blue dot lens, but I think it will be much brighter in the long run. Plus if I get crazy with it there is a controller that can be added so the tail light does some cool flashing when you brake.

Good luck,
        -DB

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;