CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    189

    Default Tom Fugle's Iridescent multi-spectral paint.

    I've been looking into something that I saw on youtube. I watched Tom Fugle's born free 6 video and started trying to figure out what exactly I was looking at. There have been a few people that have cracked the code. A guy at gecko customs managed to replicate the paint flawlessly. I sent him a message but he didn't care to give up any secrets either. The only thing I did find out was that it wasn't economical to do and it wasn't really paint. What I found out through research was that this "paint" is actually some kind of foil that was exposed to flame and then applied to the tank and shot layer after layer of clear coat over it. My question is did anyone here ever figure the mess out or know how to do it? Any hints? Someone suggested that it may be some form of gold leaf thats been scorched. I dont really know though.

  2. #2
    Junior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2

    Default Guess

    Lools like a type of foil used as base.color comes from heating the surface and altering the original color.the wrinkles are a natural biproduct of the heating porton of it.thin layers of clear but quite alot of layers to get it smooth.neo chrome finish is simalar in process but im guessing he used actual goldleafing or copper leafing as his base for the depth.The trick is making sure the clear is cured all the way before the wetsand buff because itll be very thick to get it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cimino289 View Post
    I've been looking into something that I saw on youtube. I watched Tom Fugle's born free 6 video and started trying to figure out what exactly I was looking at. There have been a few people that have cracked the code. A guy at gecko customs managed to replicate the paint flawlessly. I sent him a message but he didn't care to give up any secrets either. The only thing I did find out was that it wasn't economical to do and it wasn't really paint. What I found out through research was that this "paint" is actually some kind of foil that was exposed to flame and then applied to the tank and shot layer after layer of clear coat over it. My question is did anyone here ever figure the mess out or know how to do it? Any hints? Someone suggested that it may be some form of gold leaf thats been scorched. I dont really know though.

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Interesting. I appreciate the input. Anyone have any experience trying this?

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Look up Variagated gold leaf my friend. That is gold leaf that they heat for color variations it looks as though he torched it himself to get a larger pattern than normally available. You bury it under clear, like metal flake.COOL shit.

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Okay I gotcha. Anyone have any kind of experience applying this foil to items?

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    8,843

    Default

    Not I. but getting a couple of junk car hoods (my painterbros do that, I can barely spray primer...) and testing on them gives plenty of flat area to play with.

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    162

    Default

    I watched it once long time ago.He used a brush on adhesive (hobby lobby has all this shit!glue gold leaf etc...) then used tweezers to lay it on then had soft brushes to push it down to the glue. Im think he used an intercoat clear to top it, but maybe another layer go glue shit.You tube has videos of gold leaf application. As for torching yourself , start with mailboxes for practice.You can sell them if they look good and repaint if they don't but they have curves and flat spots so I do practice panels on them rather than flat sheets.Buy a new one for the house and primer your old one and go for it.I am thinking some leaf on my current project but I'm a month away from paint research.

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    162

    Default

    I wasn't stepping on the car hoods, it was posted during my slow typing post, ha.

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Thats quite an ideal an irridescent multispectral mailbox and car hood

  10. #10
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,561

    Default

    That bike of Tom's was amazing. The paint had a depth and effect of the opal jewel. Might be worth considering why an opal shines the way it does.. and unlock the secret of the paint.

  11. #11
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,561

    Default

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tomfugle.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	99497

    Observe... looks like a loosely applied layer of variegated gold leaf sheet...

  12. #12
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    189

    Default

    So hog head has theories as well. I’ll look into it tonight when I’m free. I’m pretty sure he laid the foil with adhesive shot clear over that and then it’s possible that he shot a couple of other colors over that. That way the foil kind of shines thru the layers. That may be why he had to sand it so much. I also saw something where it had to be waxed otherwise it had a dull appearance

  13. #13
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    189

    Default

    I’m talking exclusively about his born free bike in this regard it does have red paint on it for sure

  14. #14
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    189

    Default

    The way he did the bike for born free six was slightly different than the way he did his personal bike he was building for born free 7 before he died. That bike is for sure just the verigated leaf applied to a naked bike frame with tank. Thanks for noticing that hoghead

  15. #15
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cimino289 View Post
    The way he did the bike for born free six was slightly different than the way he did his personal bike he was building for born free 7 before he died. That bike is for sure just the verigated leaf applied to a naked bike frame with tank. Thanks for noticing that hoghead
    Yep, the red bike is different , I guess part of the difference is some prismatic flake in the red clearcoat for starters

  16. #16
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    189

    Default

    I’m no genius when it comes to paint but now I understand why he had to sand it so much. He had to bury the foil in clear and then rough it up enough to shoot the flake and red clear over it. He had to keep the layers thin enough that they didn’t gum up either. Idk if he ever taught anyone the method so short of getting a medium we may never know. I think with some time and trial and error this is entirely replicable

  17. #17
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cimino289 View Post
    I’m no genius when it comes to paint but now I understand why he had to sand it so much. He had to bury the foil in clear and then rough it up enough to shoot the flake and red clear over it. He had to keep the layers thin enough that they didn’t gum up either. Idk if he ever taught anyone the method so short of getting a medium we may never know. I think with some time and trial and error this is entirely replicable
    I'm sure it is , note tho' Tom died at seventy five years old, and he'd been chopping his entire adult life. That's a lot of experience and skill. He was an artist , his skill with leather was amazing too. I wish i'd bought one of his belts now.

  18. #18
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    189

    Default

    I’ve got a leather wallet that he made. He’s definitely one of those people I wish I could have met. Lots to learn if you’d just sat down and talked for a while.

Share This



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in