Tom Fugle's Iridescent multi-spectral paint.

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cimino289
    • Sep 2018

Tom Fugle's Iridescent multi-spectral paint.

I've been looking into something that I saw on youtube. I watched Tom Fugle's born free 6 video and started trying to figure out what exactly I was looking at. There have been a few people that have cracked the code. A guy at gecko customs managed to replicate the paint flawlessly. I sent him a message but he didn't care to give up any secrets either. The only thing I did find out was that it wasn't economical to do and it wasn't really paint. What I found out through research was that this "paint" is actually some kind of foil that was exposed to flame and then applied to the tank and shot layer after layer of clear coat over it. My question is did anyone here ever figure the mess out or know how to do it? Any hints? Someone suggested that it may be some form of gold leaf thats been scorched. I dont really know though.
  • RebelRodder
    • Jul 2019

Guess

Lools like a type of foil used as base.color comes from heating the surface and altering the original color.the wrinkles are a natural biproduct of the heating porton of it.thin layers of clear but quite alot of layers to get it smooth.neo chrome finish is simalar in process but im guessing he used actual goldleafing or copper leafing as his base for the depth.The trick is making sure the clear is cured all the way before the wetsand buff because itll be very thick to get it right.
    Originally posted by Cimino289
    I've been looking into something that I saw on youtube. I watched Tom Fugle's born free 6 video and started trying to figure out what exactly I was looking at. There have been a few people that have cracked the code. A guy at gecko customs managed to replicate the paint flawlessly. I sent him a message but he didn't care to give up any secrets either. The only thing I did find out was that it wasn't economical to do and it wasn't really paint. What I found out through research was that this "paint" is actually some kind of foil that was exposed to flame and then applied to the tank and shot layer after layer of clear coat over it. My question is did anyone here ever figure the mess out or know how to do it? Any hints? Someone suggested that it may be some form of gold leaf thats been scorched. I dont really know though.

Comment

• Cimino289
      • Sep 2018

Interesting. I appreciate the input. Anyone have any experience trying this?

Comment

• shank1kole
        • Dec 2015

Look up Variagated gold leaf my friend. That is gold leaf that they heat for color variations it looks as though he torched it himself to get a larger pattern than normally available. You bury it under clear, like metal flake.COOL shit.

Comment

• Cimino289
          • Sep 2018

Okay I gotcha. Anyone have any kind of experience applying this foil to items?

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Not I. but getting a couple of junk car hoods (my painterbros do that, I can barely spray primer...) and testing on them gives plenty of flat area to play with.

Comment

• shank1kole
              • Dec 2015

I watched it once long time ago.He used a brush on adhesive (hobby lobby has all this shit!glue gold leaf etc...) then used tweezers to lay it on then had soft brushes to push it down to the glue. Im think he used an intercoat clear to top it, but maybe another layer go glue shit.You tube has videos of gold leaf application. As for torching yourself , start with mailboxes for practice.You can sell them if they look good and repaint if they don't but they have curves and flat spots so I do practice panels on them rather than flat sheets.Buy a new one for the house and primer your old one and go for it.I am thinking some leaf on my current project but I'm a month away from paint research.

Comment

• shank1kole
                • Dec 2015

I wasn't stepping on the car hoods, it was posted during my slow typing post, ha.

Comment

• Cimino289
                  • Sep 2018

Thats quite an ideal an irridescent multispectral mailbox and car hood

Comment

• Hoghead
                    • Jun 2015

That bike of Tom's was amazing. The paint had a depth and effect of the opal jewel. Might be worth considering why an opal shines the way it does.. and unlock the secret of the paint.

Comment

• Hoghead
                      • Jun 2015

Click image for larger version

Name:	tomfugle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	1315115

Observe... looks like a loosely applied layer of variegated gold leaf sheet...

Comment

• Cimino289
                        • Sep 2018

So hog head has theories as well. I’ll look into it tonight when I’m free. I’m pretty sure he laid the foil with adhesive shot clear over that and then it’s possible that he shot a couple of other colors over that. That way the foil kind of shines thru the layers. That may be why he had to sand it so much. I also saw something where it had to be waxed otherwise it had a dull appearance

Comment

• Cimino289
                          • Sep 2018

I’m talking exclusively about his born free bike in this regard it does have red paint on it for sure

Comment

• Cimino289
                            • Sep 2018

The way he did the bike for born free six was slightly different than the way he did his personal bike he was building for born free 7 before he died. That bike is for sure just the verigated leaf applied to a naked bike frame with tank. Thanks for noticing that hoghead

Comment

• Hoghead
                              • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Cimino289
                              The way he did the bike for born free six was slightly different than the way he did his personal bike he was building for born free 7 before he died. That bike is for sure just the verigated leaf applied to a naked bike frame with tank. Thanks for noticing that hoghead
                              Yep, the red bike is different , I guess part of the difference is some prismatic flake in the red clearcoat for starters

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;